What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Surely it would be beyond stupid now if we went out and signed a kikau or leilua type like player for 600-700k if we weren't prepared to pay papali'i that. Papali'i was in our system and was 23 years of age.

Papali'i performances and possible ceiling this year anyway shat on what those two have dished up over the years

Name me one player who has run over Josh Papali'i the way isaiah did earlier in the year.

Eelogical

Referee
I think the Papalii situation is perfect. I haven't grown attached to him in any way so fine with him splitting while at the same time we get another year of his prime. I think he will be pretty good in 2022 and totally forgotten by end of 2023.
Nobody had even heard of him a year ago. Players can have a great first year, then drop off the next. Sivo for instance. Second year syndrome and all that. While I'm not happy to see Papa go at the end of 2022, I feel the club has been responsible in not paying overs to keep him. I'm sure there'd be detractors on here who would be reaming the club for caving into demands of players if they went down that road. At least we know where we stand with Papa now. As far as the others go, I hope they keep Mahoney but let Gutho go if it becomes a clusterf**k.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The players are already with us so its not like we needed to wait til 1 Nov to start negotiating...
Who says we waited that long? Who says rival clubs waited until then? Niukore to the Warriors has been the NRL's worst kept secret since about August. In practical terms the November start date means nothing.
Its about time the club delivered some good signing news otherwise we could be looking at a season already lost next year...if we have a number of players joining other clubs in 2023 there will be a point in the season where the WGAF attitude will kick in
Someone hide this merkin's belt and shoelaces.

The Storm lose a handful of top 17 players every single year, including the years they win premierships. They make allowances for those players who are motivated more by money and send them off with a bang.

hindy111

Post Whore
I agree with Eelogical. I mean 2yrs ago Lane was dynamite. Now half the people on here hate him. Papali'i hasn't done it long enough but also has had time in NRL where just looked average. If clubs rated him we wouldn't of picked up for 150k.
At 600k he is a huge risk. He needs to be at the level he showed this season.

Ryan Mattersons another example of a guy who was dynamite at the Tigers and only been average for us.
Penrith let Luke Capewell go for the same reason. Good player on the cheap but paying him as an elite forward they didn't see value.

Papali'i also was in a great forward pack. I've said this before and will repeat this. Lets go for it in 2022. But happy to have a mini rebuild and have another crack in 2024/2025. If that means letting guys go who probably won't be young enough or part of plans in 2025 then I'd rather we do that. Try and front load a few contracts in 2023. And blood some good young kids.

I see it like this. The spines most important. Moses, Rheed and D.Brown in 2024/2025 will be combined in peak. After that Moses may slowly fade. We do not want to waste our chances by hanging onto guys and then a slow fade for 3 or so year while our spine is in peak. Yes we may lose Gutherson and Jnr. But that's fine. We would have 1.5 mill. N.Brown contract will be up so in 2024 we could have 2 mill to spend.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree with Eelogical. I mean 2yrs ago Lane was dynamite. Now half the people on here hate him. Papali'i hasn't done it long enough but also has had time in NRL where just looked average. If clubs rated him we wouldn't of picked up for 150k.
At 600k he is a huge risk. He needs to be at the level he showed this season.

Ryan Mattersons another example of a guy who was dynamite at the Tigers and only been average for us.
Penrith let Luke Capewell go for the same reason. Good player on the cheap but paying him as an elite forward they didn't see value.

Papali'i also was in a great forward pack. I've said this before and will repeat this. Lets go for it in 2022. But happy to have a mini rebuild and have another crack in 2024/2025. If that means letting guys go who probably won't be young enough or part of plans in 2025 then I'd rather we do that. Try and front load a few contracts in 2023. And blood some good young kids.

I see it like this. The spines most important. Moses, Rheed and D.Brown in 2024/2025 will be combined in peak. After that Moses may slowly fade. We do not want to waste our chances by hanging onto guys and then a slow fade for 3 or so year while our spine is in peak. Yes we may lose Gutherson and Jnr. But that's fine. We would have 1.5 mill. N.Brown contract will be up so in 2024 we could have 2 mill to spend.

I agree with most of that, except that Ryan Matterson part - while he is nor as dynamic as he was for Wests, he has routinely been near the top for us for offloads, and tackle efficiency.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree with most of that, except that Ryan Matterson part - while he is nor as dynamic as he was for Wests, he has routinely been near the top for us for offloads, and tackle efficiency.

Also, what Eelo is saying, I've been saying all along.

Great minds, and that.

hindy111

Post Whore

Sure. But he hasn't been consistently good like he was at the Tigers. He has been up and down and stop start for us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are basing that on their current contracts.

But for 2023 we offered Papa something like $425k and I think I read some where something similar for Marata.

So that’s $700-$800k or so now free for 2023 plus the 2022 upgrade offer for Papa…..plenty to play around with looking for replacements..
I doubt the club expected to keep all of them, instead hoping to keep as many as they could. They also wouldn't know exactly which ones would be staying or going. Our offers would be firm and not subject to bigger offers from rival clubs, which means any given re-signing is out of our hands. But also each player who finalises his 2023 status gives us a clearer picture of how much space we have for lower priority signings (e.g. the next Niukore/Papali'i/Mahoney).

Our club need to focus on the strength of the 2023 squad as a whole and not get dragged into the emotionality of matching stupid offers for fan favourites. Some players will be motivated by the club culture and opportunity for success. These merkins will sign at reasonable prices. The ones who just want to get paid will end up at desperate clubs.

If some of you merkins were in charge we'd still be a desperate club too.

Latest posts