What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

IFR33K

Coach
Reading the childish bitterness here is hilarious.
And I always thought that eels were smoked, not salty.
I get that we all like to poo-poo our stars when they leave our club . . . we did it with Moses ( but we can say I told you so) but you guys are next level. Well, most of you guys. As for IP going from being a star with you but a chump with us, well that can happen. Matterson.
Your 3 best forwards last year were Paulo, IP and Niakora (sp). You have lost the 2 more damaging, yet you all say there is no problem, you'll just uncover a couple more.
The funniest part of your forum is the few guys that actually tell it like it is, are ignored in favour of the irrational one-eyed fans.
Ya gotta love footy.
Fire away, slimies . . . . it's a long off season. Plenty of time for wholesome discussion.

Papa will revert back to an average player now that he's got his pay day. There is nothing surer... Yes Hinmarshisgod . . that is a common happening in footy. It's called the Matterson principle.

Agree with a lot you’ve said. But if you don’t think RCG was one of our best, then you weren’t watching close enough.

IFR33K

Coach
I agree. The sour grapes here are astounding. We lost our best forward this season and the fans here are acting like we’re just going to magically uncover another Papali’i like it’s no big deal. I hope they’re right but to say it’s nothing to be concerned about is bordering on delusional.

BA does have a track record of getting the best out of many forwards. I’m sure we’ll unearth a quality player to replace ice in 23. The main thing is we keep him and Marata for our 22 campaign.

IFR33K

Coach
Yep saying Papa will revert back to a lazy bum is laughable, he’s only 23 with his best years ahead of him. Though he might not reach the heights he has here in a weaker pack.

I guess some will death ride him in 23 but not 22. Shame we didn’t tie him up but both back rowers (ice and Marata) will be getting paid handsomely in 2023.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Sometimes I wish our forum was like Wigers and only 5 people posted here
It doesn't surprise me the poor old tigers fans get lost, confused and pop up on our forum.

They do have 5 home grounds so why wouldn't they get confused by only have 1 forum to discuss things when they are used to moving around all the time

Wally21

Bench
mind you the offer value could be correct seeing everything the club does is leaked to the media
But is it?? Or is it just deadshits like Hooper masquerading as journalists making this shit up??? Deadshits like Hooper, the drunk et. al. Have to sprout garbage to get mugs to read/view/listen to to increase ratings/views/clicks so their bosses can sell advertising. Take Hoopers headlines which are case in point for true clickbait.
It's a click-bait-a-thon out there.

View attachment 56013
and now we have the pile on for the drunk deadshit. Now I know we will be ok losing Papa for stupid money to a shit team with a shit coach.

Gronk

Staff member
I am disappointed in losing Marata and Papa, but some merkins on the interweb are reacting like when Manly lost Cherry* and Foran in the same week.

So I'll save my rage and crystal ball gazing for if our spine gets pulled apart.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I agree. The sour grapes here are astounding. We lost our best forward this season and the fans here are acting like we’re just going to magically uncover another Papali’i like it’s no big deal. I hope they’re right but to say it’s nothing to be concerned about is bordering on delusional.
I don’t really see any sour grapes or anyone disputing Papa went pretty good in 2021. Or that is disappointing he is leaving.

it just appears the general opinion of most is that Papa isn’t worth $600k plus to us and we did the right thing not matching the tigers offer….

additionally Papa was unknown in 2020 and we have $500k or so to look for another “unknown” forward….not exactly something to be concerned about…..

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
Where in my reply did I say that?? We offered a more than fair offer, if we didn’t try and lowball him in the first place we might not have had to get even close to the Tigers offer.

My main point was that the knee jerk reaction to extend the coach hasn’t really worked has it??? Maybe the players know how limited the coach and his staff really are. The old “ FrOnT lOaD dA eFfOrT aReA’s and “ ChAsE dA cOlLiSiOn” gets you to week 2 but doesn’t really gets you to challenge with the big boys………
How do you know it’s the coach? Answer: You don’t. You’re biased and assuming that because you are relentless. Even worse than I was after a Friday night loss to a shit team.

And if Madge is a better coach than BA I’m not here.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore

Best forward?

I thought we re-signed RCG?

How do you know we won't uncover another Papali'i?

I'm sorry, but $650,000 per year for an unproven player is madness - well-run clubs do not buckle to that, and I'm glad we didn't.

I'm sure he will be fine at the Tigers.

But he simply isn't worth that sort of coin to this club.

Avenger

Immortal
Reading the childish bitterness here is hilarious.
And I always thought that eels were smoked, not salty.
I get that we all like to poo-poo our stars when they leave our club . . . we did it with Moses ( but we can say I told you so) but you guys are next level. Well, most of you guys. As for IP going from being a star with you but a chump with us, well that can happen. Matterson.
Your 3 best forwards last year were Paulo, IP and Niakora (sp). You have lost the 2 more damaging, yet you all say there is no problem, you'll just uncover a couple more.
The funniest part of your forum is the few guys that actually tell it like it is, are ignored in favour of the irrational one-eyed fans.
Ya gotta love footy.
Fire away, slimies . . . . it's a long off season. Plenty of time for wholesome discussion.

Papa will revert back to an average player now that he's got his pay day. There is nothing surer... Yes Hinmarshisgod . . that is a common happening in footy. It's called the Matterson principle.
You still paid overs. And you had to because you are a basket case of a club as we were not that long ago. You still won’t make the 8 next year and your coach will be sacked. Then players will be in a position where they won’t know who the coach will be. More re evaluating, new coach won’t rate certain players and you will be tapping them on the shoulder and paying their wage to play elsewhere. The cycle begins again. Sound familiar? It’s been happening for over a decade at your joint and any amount of overpaid players backrowers won’t do anything.

You keep putting shit on us yet you are paying Brooks $850k a year and he has never seen a semi. You even paid Adam Doueihi $750k!! Would anyone pay him that besides your desperate merkins.

I don’t think so.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
freakout.gif

The Eels have no intention of releasing either player early but the damage has been done. Pressure is rising on Parramatta as they confront a mass exodus.

Avenger

Immortal
I was just thinking, what a difference one or a couple of games make. If we had lost to Newcastle and went out immediately or were embarrassed by Penrith I don’t think the majority would be carrying on like this. It would just be an inevitable clean out that had to happen.

lucablight

First Grade
Best forward?

I thought we re-signed RCG?

How do you know we won't uncover another Papali'i?

I'm sorry, but $650,000 per year for an unproven player is madness - well-run clubs do not buckle to that, and I'm glad we didn't.

I'm sure he will be fine at the Tigers.

But he simply isn't worth that sort of coin to this club.
There’s no point in getting into semantics over who the best forward was. Even if RCG was better (which I would dispute and nothing against him because he was freaking awesome) the point is that Papali’i was in the Dally M team of the season and dominated the stats board most weeks.
I don’t know if we will uncover another Papali’i but to assume that it’s likely is wishful thinking and we’re going to look very silly if we let him go and it was for no purpose. I think it was very short sighted of the club to sit back and watch him dominate week after week and not upgrade him during the season before his value got up so high. It’s incredibly rare for a club that is meant to be on the way up to unearth a star like this and let them walk away yet we somehow managed to do it.
If we can’t get close to a grand final with our current roster then how will we do it with an inferior one unless all of our competitors also become significantly weaker?

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I’m pissed the clubs put itself in the situation now that the 3 remaining High profile players to re-sign are under the one manager.

You just know Ayoub bumped all their asking prices today knowing we lost Papa. He’ll know we are desperate to lock them away and no lose anyone else, and will know we now have more $$
It's going to test the board's resolve. But if we are in fact prepared to stick to our guns about not paying overs, it'll draw a line in the sand. I get the feeling Mahoney is going to go.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
How do you know it’s the coach? Answer: You don’t. You’re biased and assuming that because you are relentless. Even worse than I was after a Friday night loss to a shit team.

And if Madge is a better coach than BA I’m not here.
Well if the club thought that re-signing the coach would mean they would be able to lowball players and get them to sign anyway it’s been an absolute fail on their part.

And has Madge won a spoon or not made the 3rd week of the finals?? No that’s the potato we quadrupled down on for whatever reason I have no idea because if it was to keep the players happy that’s a massive lol. Even his favourite son Gutho is holding out.

The Eel

Juniors
If we were prepared to offer him that money in the end why didnt we just do it in the first place he probably would have signed straight away without even looking at the market and giving a desperate club like the tigers a chance to pounce with an offer way over our budget that we planned for.
My nephew told me we offerred him 550 a season and he took 600. Apparently it is in todays paper. If that is the case, he can get stuffed for mine

Latest posts