What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
Well often I’ll watch the opposition attack our right side and see Nrown or Mahoney defending four in. Then I look for Papali’i and he’s usually pushing out from marker. I’m sure every edge forward, including Nikora, gets caught at marker sometimes (the tackle needs to be made). The question is how often this happens for each one. Teams with less mobility in the middle are more likely to see their halves and edge forwards making more tackles.
Could also depend how compressed the D is.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Could also depend how compressed the D is.
That is an effect of lack of mobility in the middle, not a separate cause. Teams compress in the middle because they’re forced to, not because some professional coach knows less than a bunch of nuffy fans.

This is related to why they say you need to earn the right to shift the ball. If you make inroads through the middle you force the edges to come in to help. Then it’s the opposition’s dopey fans screaming “Stay on your wing ffs!”

84 Baby

Referee
That is an effect of lack of mobility in the middle, not a separate cause. Teams compress in the middle because they’re forced to, not because some professional coach knows less than a bunch of nuffy fans.

This is related to why they say you need to earn the right to shift the ball. If you make inroads through the middle you force the edges to come in to help. Then it’s the opposition’s dopey fans screaming “Stay on your wing ffs!”
I just scream “Don’t help him FFS!”

TheRam

Coach
How does Euan Aitken's stats look this year? He's looking for a club and I imagine wouldn't be too dear.

edit - tackles at 94.6%, 102 running metres per game this year. He's the same height as Ice but 12 kg lighter. Could fill in at centre. We could do worse.

Can we stop looking to sign these average first graders and maybe piss off some of our average players and sign one high quality star player.

Or we will be forever saying that "yeah we have a great team but no real stars that can lift and beat the better teams that do have stars".

Can't have it both ways.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can we stop looking to sign these average first graders and maybe piss off some of our average players and sign one high quality star player.

Or we will be forever saying that "yeah we have a great team but no real stars that can lift and beat the better teams that do have stars".

Can't have it both ways.
Dylan Brown is on the verge of genuine stardom. He’s in our team for at least another season and a half. If we’re going to spend big money I’d rather keep him.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade

Can't have it both ways.
How's it going for the Titans having their star player in the second row? Our stars are in the spine where they should be.

84 Baby

Referee
Pou's post.
I teed it up for you and everything…

golfing-fail-missed.gif

TheRam

Coach
How's it going for the Titans having their star player in the second row? Our stars are in the spine where they should be.

How's it looking for the Panther or Storm who have a star spine, centre, winger backrower and frontrowers?

Don't aspirer to be also rans but premiership winners.

Like I said, get rid of a couple of solid to good players and bring in a genuine game changer. Not the same as just keeping all of them and trying to add a star on top of what we have.

Also I didn't say we should throw $1.2m at a back rower ffs!

Jeez you guys like to just pile on crap to win some weak pissing argument.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
How's it looking for the Panther or Storm who have a star spine, centre, winger backrower and frontrowers?

Don't aspirer to be also rans but premiership winners.

Like I said, get rid of a couple of solid to good players and bring in a genuine game changer. Not the same as just keeping all of them and trying to add a star on top of what we have.

Also I didn't say we should throw $1.2m at a back rower ffs!

Jeez you guys like to just pile on crap to win some weak pissing argument.
FIRE UP RAMMY!!!! Which star backrower should we sign? Even Teig Wilton looks great outside a high performance half.

Incorrect

Coach
Poor mans Niukore.
Maybe so, but given we've got no choice but wave goodbye to Marata because he has signed elsewhere, if Aitken was a reasonable price, you'd have to consider him no?

In any case, it's probably a moot point as I reckon there are other clubs who would be willing to pay him more than we'd be prepared to... Dragons, Dolphins, even Raiders maybe...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t think either team has that many stars. What they have is enough stars plus enough solid defenders. Both teams also seem happy to let highly paid stars go and replace them internally.

We could obviously do with more stars, but the mechanisms for getting them into your squad without paying too much aren’t something that can just be manufactured, and certainly not by the coach. Bennett is proving that right now.