What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soto

Bench
Neither Nanai or Gilbert had their rookie years in 2022. Gilbert made his debut in 2020 and Nanai 21. I'm not saying that BA is right in easing players into FG, but that's what he has done with Marata, well every player really.
Never suggested they made debuts in 2022 but Payten does not give them FA minutes if he picks them.
The game is that fast and tough these days you need to share the workload otherwise your going to burn your players out. We need 17 players contributing.
Surely #17 can do a job for 5 mins either side of halftime.
BA seems to only promote a newbie out of necessity i.e. injury or suspension not because a player in reserves deserves a spot in 1st grade because of their excellent or consistent performances

TheRam

Coach
Cini will definitely take a top 30 spot from Opacic next year. Will be interesting who gets position #30 in the next 2 weeks.
I hope it is someone with experience and quality from outside the club. Otherwise we haven't taken the opportunity to strengthen our top 17 and will go into the semis with an average bench.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Amen brother.... I don't give a f**k what the surname of the back named on the bench is, so long as if/when they are brought on Dylan Brown is not forced out of position to accommodate said benchie because of their footballing limitations
Spot on. We’re weakening 2 positions if we lose a back and have to bring JA into the halves as cover. Is JA a better first grader than Perham? I sure as shit don’t think so. Perham also has the added advantage of being able to cover more positions, which limits the need for a backline reshuffle. We’d only be weakening the one position, rather than two. Is that sufficient evidence?

Despite all of this, I’d be giving the fresh prince a call for the rest of the this year and next. He turned into the perfect 14 towards the end of his run with us.

Gronk

Staff member
Spot on. We’re weakening 2 positions if we lose a back and have to bring JA into the halves as cover. Is JA a better first grader than Perham? I sure as shit don’t think so. Perham also has the added advantage of being able to cover more positions, which limits the need for a backline reshuffle. We’d only be weakening the one position, rather than two. Is that sufficient evidence?
Perham certainly has fast feet in the centres, but that position these days is more about defence over attack in a 60/40 split. What's the best solution for defence in the centres ?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
How many try assists in Origin does Nathan Cleary have?

I think about 3, it took him his 4th game to get a try assists or something ridiculous like that.

Moses in his 1 game got 2 try assists and if turbo had passed it instead of taking the fullback on a 2vs1 he would've scored the game winning try. But because NSW lost and Moses isn't the golden child in a darling team he was canned

Incorrect

Coach
So if we lose 1 6 or 7, what is your best solution, based on the player being brought it will ultimately have skill limitations ? What one player plugs the hole that covers all scenarios and offers the least disruption?
So you're saying BA f**ked up by picking Opacic on the bench in recent weeks and just lucky we didn't get an injury to the halves or fullback... Thank goodness he has realised his mistake and put JA there now....just in the nick of time!!! Phew! I feel better now!!

Soto

Bench
Between matto and Nuikore we can have these spots covered.
You certainly wouldn't be playing JA at 1.
If a half goes down Matto can play 5/8. Same if Guth goes down.
Outside back goes down then Nuikore goes centre.
Both are much better solutions.

TheRam

Coach
I think about 3, it took him his 4th game to get a try assists or something ridiculous like that.

Moses in his 1 game got 2 try assists and if turbo had passed it instead of taking the fullback on a 2vs1 he would've scored the game winning try. But because NSW lost and Moses isn't the golden child in a darling team he was canned

I wouldn't mind seeing a Moses-Cleary SOO combo next year. Moses can revert back to primarily his running game and kicking when Cleary is getting targeted. Also if Latrell and Turbo are both fit I doubt Burton will get a look in so we won't have his kicking game as a backup option.

It could surprise us and turn out to be a very good combination. I doubt it could be much worse.

Gronk

Staff member
So you're saying BA f**ked up by picking Opacic on the bench in recent weeks and just lucky we didn't get an injury to the halves or fullback... Thank goodness he has realised his mistake and put JA there now....just in the nick of time!!! Phew! I feel better now!!
Sorry, I don't get how your little sarcasm rant answers the question of what is the best contingency plan if we lose a back. All it did was have a dig at Jake, again. You see I am agnostic towards these things, but the "anyone but Jake" position is flawed. I get that it would have merit if his selection had costs us games, but it hasn't.

Gronk

Staff member
Between matto and Nuikore we can have these spots covered.
You certainly wouldn't be playing JA at 1.
If a half goes down Matto can play 5/8. Same if Guth goes down.
Outside back goes down then Nuikore goes centre.
Both are much better solutions.
BA clearly does not consider Marata (or any player) as an option for 1-7 cover if they are starting. Is he wrong to take that position ?

hindy111

Post Whore

Moses defense at origin level and ability to choke under pressure means he won't ever play origin again while Freddy's there.
Good player and great when flogging sides but a down hill skier. Rare he steps up and is clutch in big moments. I'd still have him in side before Luai.

hindy111

Post Whore
I wouldn't mind seeing a Moses-Cleary SOO combo next year. Moses can revert back to primarily his running game and kicking when Cleary is getting targeted. Also if Latrell and Turbo are both fit I doubt Burton will get a look in so we won't have his kicking game as a backup option.

It could surprise us and turn out to be a very good combination. I doubt it could be much worse.

I suggested this in the Panther forum. Let Nathan run the show and Noses can chime in and do the long kicks. Luai is average

Soto

Bench
BA clearly does not consider Marata (or any player) as an option for 1-7 cover if they are starting. Is he wrong to take that position ?
Lol Marata is barely a starter. He has also filled in very capably at centre.
Marata is a perfect benchie. Can capably fill 2nd row or centre.
Past few weeks have also shown he's not a middle

Gronk

Staff member
BA seems to only promote a newbie out of necessity i.e. injury or suspension not because a player in reserves deserves a spot in 1st grade because of their excellent or consistent performances
Well the Nathan Brown situation suggests otherwise. Rodwell his built up to 20 mins last week and this week he'll no doubt get longer. If Barlow is out it's likely that EEZ will get a run.

Gronk

Staff member
Lol Marata is barely a starter. He has also filled in very capably at centre.
Marata is a perfect benchie. Can capably fill 2nd row or centre.
Past few weeks have also shown he's not a middle
Yeah but this week Marata has to start as lock. We have no choice if Brown is not being considered.

Soto

Bench
Well the Nathan Brown situation suggests otherwise. Rodwell his built up to 20 mins last week and this week he'll no doubt get longer. If Barlow is out it's likely that EEZ will get a run.
Again this is because other shit going on in the background looking to force Nrown to leave.
Nrown was one of our best fwds last week yet doesn't get picked this week. They want him out. BA in the presser was very evasive.
If the Nrown contract situation wasn't what it is I dare say Rodwell would still be wearing 13 in Knock on cup

Incorrect

Coach
Sorry, I don't get how your little sarcasm rant answers the question of what is the best contingency plan if we lose a back. All it did was have a dig at Jake, again. You see I am agnostic towards these things, but the "anyone but Jake" position is flawed. I get that it would have merit it his selection has costs us games, but it hasn't.
Jake's inability to play anywhere but 6 or 7 is the issue I have. How is that covering all bases if we lose a back? All it does is push one of our best players out of the spine (unless the number 6 is the player suffering the injury). I'm more inclined to shuffle wingers/centres around (which is what Opacic's inclusion offers) than shift a starting half out of position.

Latest posts