What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
How many times has he played centre?
You're playing ducks n drakes now. The facts are that coaches do shift away their 6 to patch an injury hole.

Anyway, here is a 2013 article from the Roosters on backs on the bench. Some coaches have been doing it for a while - unless they have a guy like Marata, Menzies, Aubusson at their disposal.

Gronk

Staff member

Noise

Coach

Happy MEel

First Grade
I only got "defensive" when the conversation nose dived into "Lol you must be related to Arthur". As I said I am agnostic to reasonable ideas, but they need to stand up to scrutiny.
Well then perhaps you should direct your response to that poster rather than everyone else that is disagreeing with you.

Gronk

Staff member
Look, the concept of a back on the bench is to plug a hole and hopefully that player will do his job with as little errors as possible. The reshuffle needs to be the least disruptive in both attack AND defence. If you think you can come up with a better solution than Jake this week, then I respect your opinions. Jake to me is a very average NRL player, but he brings with him reliability with a low error count. So all he does is plug a hole - he brings nothing to advance the capability of the team. If he comes on, I expect him to make his tackles, kick only when Moses is hard marked and get out of the way when we are forming shape in the red zone.

Have a good day.

Soto

Bench

Soto

Bench
No because your best spine players need to remain in the spine because those positions are so important. You know which position probably touches the ball the least? Centre.
Makes perfect sense to move your 5/8 to centre, your centre to wing.
Especially when ur 5/8 is arguably in the best form of his career

Incorrect

Coach
kick only when Moses is hard marked and get out of the way when we are forming shape in the red zone.

This is precisely what he has demonstrated he cannot do. When he has been used so far, he has seemingly been given a licence to kick whenever he sees fit and he certainly does not get out of the way of our attacking formation. He's a bigger handbrake than a Nathan Brown 4th tackle hit up!!!

Soto

Bench
This is precisely what he has demonstrated he cannot do. When he has been used so far, he has seemingly been given a licence to kick whenever he sees fit and he certainly does not get out of the way of our attacking formation. He's a bigger handbrake than a Nathan Brown 4th tackle hit up!!!
Completely agree.

Gronk

Staff member
If you can demonstrate that when we lose a back our biggest problem is scoring tries, rather than stopping them - then I will concede defeat graciously. I reckon, without having any stats to prove it, that we leak tries when we lose a back, yet scoring points isn't an issue.

hybrideel

Bench
How many try assists in Origin does Nathan Cleary have?
According to the NRL site, 5 in his 13 games
I can only see back to the 2010 series but Mitchell Pearce in Comparison has 5 in 11 games and we know how much everyone loved him
Gutho had 3 in his 3 games
Moses 2 in his 1 game
Teddy 13 in 19
James Maloney 10 in 14

Soto

Bench
No because your best spine players need to remain in the spine because those positions are so important. You know which position probably touches the ball the least? Centre.
So if he can defend well and we really don't want him touching the ball why doesn't BA play JA in the centres if need be?
If my memory serves me correctly Will Smith played a fair bit of centre when coming on. However he didn't shift Dylbro to accommodate Will Smith..

JokerEel

Coach
Honestly it is a strange selection having JA on the bench.

They have players available who are better as a utility.

Haze Perham for one could play multiple roles if required.

Hand/Yates could play hooker and then move to the forwards if no injuries happen... (green yes but so is JA)

Latest posts