What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
Jeff Robson, from Barellan, played 176 NRL games. over 13 seasons..not a bad effort in a tough sport. Good bloke with it...played a couple of games with Barellan in the Proten Community Cup competition in 2021....A bloke prepared to 'put back' into the game..Should be more blokes like Jeff.
Totally agree @parra pete. Any of us on here who have laced on a footy boot at any age, would have loved to have had a career like Jeff Robson.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Its a bit silly to blame Nathan. The forward pack was soft and our 2-5 very average. Too is great at club level but against the strongest and fastest men he just looks average.
Crightons a good player but isn't an origin level player. Burton's a gun but has defensive issues and not a centre. Toupo is solid.

Who in NSW side do you see as superstar?

I'd say Teddy, Nathan, Haas, Turbo, Latrell 3 /5 missing. Every other player in that side is plug and play and could be replaced with plenty of others who would do as good a job. Is Martin better then LANE for example? In attack Lanes leaves him for dead. Martins a prop playing 2nd row.
Mattersons for more skilfull then Jake T. And one guy who is just built for origin due to his toughness is Wighton. And in game 1 he was awesome. Yet not picked.

Nathans forms down, but in game 2 was awesome when others stood up. He also was great the 1st half last night. After that NSW couldn't get going.

I'm not blaming him - just pointing out that he has created very few tries at this level.

Gronk

Staff member
he'll have to push arthur junior out of the team first
What you meant to say is that the coach would need to be convinced that he does not need a back on the bench whilst Marata is starting.

Because out of 17 rounds this year, Jake has been selected 4 times. Twice at 5/8 when we had our back crisis. Twice on the bench where he was used once when Russell when down after 34 minutes in round 1.

You might note that Opacic was selected two weeks in a row on the bench and was not used.

Seriously, his selection policy of a back on the bench is fair game, but the ongoing BS of nepotism is getting boring. All teams train to cope with all injury scenarios and it’s pretty clear to me that Dylan is the guy most likely to patch centre the best. Fullback would be Dylan as well, however IIRC Moses has dropped back in the past.

You can put up arguments for Carty or Russell, but you need to be able to present a case for the best balance of attack and defence. Also Russell at fullback would be throwing him to the wolves. It looks to me that BA is grooming Perham for that role, but that’s just me guessing based on how he has been moved around in reggies of late.

Gronk

Staff member
Its a bit silly to blame Nathan. The forward pack was soft and our 2-5 very average.
100%, the fowards were dominated and no half could do well against that line speed. We certainly did not lose because of Cleary. He was obviously rattled by it, hence is chip that was not executed on his terms as he was cramped and almost on his heels.

Soto

Bench
I think the bench is BA's ambush. Come the 2nd round of the finals, he's gonna play all 4 benchies.

The opposition would be so shocked that their Jaws will be on the floor and we run past them
Will the 4th benchie have enough energy and stamina to play more 3mins and 26 secs?

Gronk

Staff member
Will the 4th benchie have enough energy and stamina to play more 3mins and 26 secs?
That comment is only true when the 4th forward is a rookie. I can't speak for other coaches, but we all know that BA always eases forwards into NRL. Is he wrong to do this ? How do other NRL coaches expose rookies to NRL ?

Soto

Bench
What you meant to say is that the coach would need to be convinced that he does not need a back on the bench whilst Marata is starting.

Because out of 17 rounds this year, Jake has been selected 4 times. Twice at 5/8 when we had our back crisis. Twice on the bench where he was used once when Russell when down after 34 minutes in round 1.

You might note that Opacic was selected two weeks in a row on the bench and was not used.

Seriously, his selection policy of a back on the bench is fair game, but the ongoing BS of nepotism is getting boring. All teams train to cope with all injury scenarios and it’s pretty clear to me that Dylan is the guy most likely to patch centre the best. Fullback would be Dylan as well, however IIRC Moses has dropped back in the past.

You can put up arguments for Carty or Russell, but you need to be able to present a case for the best balance of attack and defence. Also Russell at fullback would be throwing him to the wolves. It looks to me that BA is grooming Perham for that role, but that’s just me guessing based on how he has been moved around in reggies of late.
Problem with having JA on the bench is if an outside back go down Dylbro goes to centre which upsets the balance.
You might as well leave Opacic on the bench.
Perham could well be a good option.
Has played well at centre in reserves, played wing in 1st grade and we know he can play fullback and 5/8.
He effectively can be a straight swap if need be.
Cini can also fill any spot 1-5.

TheRam

Coach
Yeah. Probably. Given hes had Johns, Ennis and Woolford to work with his running game although minimal has become non existent. And as for engaging the markers, forget it. Harry Grant would be no faster than Rheed but hes a Thoroughbred V Clydesdale between the ears compared to Rheed. Ill still be interested to see how he plays at The Dogs cause Im not totally excusing BA. I think BAs mantra is just get the ball to the halfs. All that said I dont think Gutho helps him much either.

Maybe Gutho goes in there because he sees that Mahoney is a lump in this department.

Soto

Bench
That comment is only true when the 4th forward is a rookie. I can't speak for other coaches, but we all know that BA always eases forwards into NRL. Is he wrong to do this ? How do other NRL coaches expose rookies to NRL ?
You cannot accustom a rookie to 1st grade with 2 min spurts.
Look at the Cowboys, a truckload of rookies last yr in Nanai, Neame, Luki, Gilbert.
Would Nanai and Gilbert been in consideration for Origin by playing 2-3 min spurts.
If he's not confident they can play at least 10-15 mins don't pick them

Gronk

Staff member
Problem with having JA on the bench is if an outside back go down Dylbro goes to centre which upsets the balance.
Perham could well be a good option.
Has played well at centre in reserves, played wing in 1st grade and we know he can play fullback and 5/8.
He effectively can be a straight swap if need be.
Cini can also fill any spot 1-5.
Cini will definitely take a top 30 spot from Opacic next year. Will be interesting who gets position #30 in the next 2 weeks.

Gronk

Staff member
You cannot accustom a rookie to 1st grade with 2 min spurts.
Look at the Cowboys, a truckload of rookies last yr in Nanai, Neame, Luki, Gilbert.
Would Nanai and Gilbert been in consideration for Origin by playing 2-3 min spurts.
If he's not confident they can play at least 10-15 mins don't pick them
Neither Nanai or Gilbert had their rookie years in 2022. Gilbert made his debut in 2020 and Nanai 21. I'm not saying that BA is right in easing players into FG, but that's what he has done with Marata, well every player really.

Incorrect

Coach
Amen brother.... I don't give a f**k what the surname of the back named on the bench is, so long as if/when they are brought on Dylan Brown is not forced out of position to accommodate said benchie because of their footballing limitations

Gronk

Staff member
Amen brother.... I don't give a f**k what the surname of the back named on the bench is, so long as if/when they are brought on Dylan Brown is not forced out of position to accommodate said benchie because of their footballing limitations
So if we lose 1 6 or 7, what is your best solution, based on the player being brought it will ultimately have skill limitations ? What one player plugs the hole that covers all scenarios and offers the least disruption?

Latest posts