What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
The drop in defence in the centres with Perham is less than the drop in both attack and defence in the halves when JA is on the field.
Are you saying that we lost games or wins were too close when Jake has played ? Which one(s) ?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Sorry, I don't get how your little sarcasm rant answers the question of what is the best contingency plan if we lose a back. All it did was have a dig at Jake, again. You see I am agnostic towards these things, but the "anyone but Jake" position is flawed. I get that it would have merit if his selection had costs us games, but it hasn't.
It almost cost us round 1. I don’t want to tempt fate too many more times.

Soto

Bench
Yeah but this week Marata has to start as lock. We have no choice if Brown is not being considered.
Again because he wants Nrown out of the club.
Nrown should be there not Marata.
Regardless if am outside back was to go down Marata goes to centre and Makatoa or Kaufusi go to lock.
You are effectively playing players in their positions.
Storm wouldn't move Munster to centre
Rabbits wouldn't move walker to centre
Penrith wouldn't move Luai to centre
Cowboys wouldn't move Dearden to centre
Manly wouldn't move Foran to centre
You hopefully get the picture

Gronk

Staff member
Jake's inability to play anywhere but 6 or 7 is the issue I have. How is that covering all bases if we lose a back? All it does is push one of our best players out of the spine (unless the number 6 is the player suffering the injury). I'm more inclined to shuffle wingers/centres around (which is what Opacic's inclusion offers) than shift a starting half out of position.
I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but our edge defence is shit at the best of times. So subbing in a poor defender at 2, 3, 4 or 5 spells trouble to me.

Gronk

Staff member
Again because he wants Nrown out of the club.
Nrown should be there not Marata.
Regardless if am outside back was to go down Marata goes to centre and Makatoa or Kaufusi go to lock.
You are effectively playing players in their positions.
Storm wouldn't move Munster to centre
Rabbits wouldn't move walker to centre
Penrith wouldn't move Luai to centre
Cowboys wouldn't move Dearden to centre
Manly wouldn't move Foran to centre
You hopefully get the picture
Are you saying that we shouldn't play hard ball to keep Papa (or someone else that we might have our eye on) over Nrown ? Because you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Soto

Bench
Are you saying that we shouldn't play hard ball to keep Papa (or someone else that we might have our eye on) over Nrown ? Because you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Absolutely we should but doesn't mean you shouldn't pick ur best 17. Nrown is better than Maka and Kaufusi.
Kaufusi is leaving too.
Are you sure you're not related to the Arthur's?

Gronk

Staff member
Absolutely we should but doesn't mean you shouldn't pick ur best 17. Nrown is better than Maka and Kaufusi.
Kaufusi is leaving too.
Are you sure you're not related to the Arthur's?
Unsure why you have to say silly things. I'm not backing any position and have said many times that I am agnostic to team selections. The point is this; 1) the coach wants a back on the bench when Marata isn't starting, and 2) the club have taken a position with Nathan Brown that they don't want him on the books for 2023 if they can wrangle it.

I don't give a shit if he picks Fred Nerk on the bench as cover for 1-7, as long as it's the best solution. I've been trying to tease out what is the best solution this morning, but you guys can't help yourself but slip into the LOL Jake farce.

Rocket man

Juniors
N Brown won't go any where unless it's to his benefit. He still has a contract for 17 months.
A club would need to offer a contract that would include 2024 with we paying some money towards his 2023 salary.

Do the Super League still have a rule with a European passport your not counted as a overseas player or was that scrapped with Brexit?

Rocket man

Juniors
N Brown won't go any where unless it's to his benefit. He still has a contract for 17 months.
A club would need to offer a contract that would include 2024 with we paying some money towards his 2023 salary.

Do the Super League still have a rule with a European passport your not counted as a overseas player or was that scrapped with Brexit?
I wonder if Brown has or interested in Italian passport through his heritage !

Soto

Bench
Unsure why you have to say silly things. I'm not backing any position and have said many times that I am agnostic to team selections. The point is this; 1) the coach wants a back on the bench when Marata isn't starting, and 2) the club have taken a position with Nathan Brown that they don't want him on the books for 2023 if they can wrangle it.

I don't give a shit if he picks Fred Nerk on the bench as cover for 1-7, as long as it's the best solution. I've been trying to tease out what is the best solution this morning, but you guys can't help yourself but slip into the LOL Jake farce.
Ja cannot play any other position than 7. When he's come on when playing with Moses he's tried to take over. Again upsets the balance of the team.
Your moving a spine player to accommodate a reserve grader. No he's not the best option. Again upsetting the balance and rhythm of the team.
I don't think he's a bad player but he's not in the top 17 and for the balance of the team

Happy MEel

First Grade

WTF? “Us guys” have provided plenty of evidence why we think there are better options for the bench. Conversely, it could be reasonably argued that you can’t help yourself slip into the defend BA at all cost farce.

You really do get defensive when someone has a differing opinion on anything.

Gronk

Staff member

Nathan Brown will sign with whoever will give him a job for 2024+. So if he can secure a job for 2023, 24, 25 he'll go.

Gronk

Staff member
WTF? “Us guys” have provided plenty of evidence why we think there are better options for the bench. Conversely, it could be reasonably argued that you can’t help yourself slip into the defend BA at all cost farce.

You really do get defensive when someone has a differing opinion on anything.
I only got "defensive" when the conversation nose dived into "Lol you must be related to Arthur". As I said I am agnostic to reasonable ideas, but they need to stand up to scrutiny.

Incorrect

Coach
I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but our edge defence is shit at the best of times. So subbing in a poor defender at 2, 3, 4 or 5 spells trouble to me.
Ask any coach in the NRL if they'd rather shift their 6 or 7 out of position during a game or one of their centres/wingers.... Apart from Kimmorley who would probably love to fire Luke Brooks in to the sun, I'm sure I know the answer is....

Gronk

Staff member
Ask any coach in the NRL if they'd rather shift their 6 or 7 out of position during a game or one of their centres/wingers.... Apart from Kimmorley who would probably love to fire Luke Brooks in to the sun, I'm sure I know the answer is....
Cameron Munster has played fullback 51 times for Storm.

Latest posts