What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Sad Baby GIF

King-Gutho94

Coach
The NRL or ARL has never looked after new franchises.

Cowboys and Warriors were thrown in 1995 and took years to become competitive even through the super league years.

The Auckland Warriors were in financial ruin 2000 and only survived through private ownership.

The only one who got an ounce of support from the governing body at the time was Melbourne when they started up. They got gifted the talent from Hunter Mariners and Perth Reds who were cut from Super League in 1997.

If only they kept Perth and possibly expanded to Melbourne after all super league exodus and mergers got sorted how much better would the comp had been for the past 15-20 years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we lose both then the powers at be aren’t good at their job.
Agreed, but if we lose one I'd say it's just market forces at work.
It’s their job to create an environment where players stay without you having to break the bank (eg Munster). Melbourne have managed to retain their entire spine
Melbourne are a special case. Players who want to stay in Melbourne (or their wives do) don't really have any other choice. People who've lived their whole lives in Sydney and are happy there don't need to make these trade offs or even consider them. You're not going to get more money elsewhere unless you're a programmer. But for people who can get more money if they move to another city, they need to decide if it's worth it.

As for Munster, yes he's a Queenslander but he's from Rockhampton not Brisbane. His missus is from Nambour, which is 100km away from Brisbane. Not exactly pop-around-for-a-scone distance. With the money he's on they can just fly between Melbourne and wherever her family lives. Or fly her mum over to stay.

So yes we shouldn't have to match offers to stop players leaving to other cities, but switching clubs within Sydney could be a matter of as little as an extra 10%. An extra 25% to stay in Sydney would be a no-brainer. I doubt there's a player in the game who would stay at a finals club in Sydney for $400k (for example) when the Tigers or Dogs are offering $500k

Avenger

Immortal
Munster is up there as the best player in the game. His $1m a year deal should now be a reasonable price for any marquee player to recommit to their club.

If we pay Moses anymore than that we are stupid. Brown should be at least $100k less than that maybe more especially when you consider what Luai is on at Penrith. I read somewhere that he’s on $700k which is a bargain seeing that he is a current origin player.

As I said in an earlier thread I’d be holding my ground to their demands. If one gets stupid money to go elsewhere let them leave and put Gutherson at 6 and go after a fullback for season 2024. I’d either go for Papenhuyzen and if we can’t get him Scott Drinkwater will do. Give him $600k. He will leave that stinger infested shithole for that money.

hindy111

Post Whore
D.Brown > Moses

Moses is a better player at this point but does he ever go up a gear in the big games or hwne games on the line. I would prefer Ben Hunt.

Pazza

First Grade
D.Brown > Moses

Moses is a better player at this point but does he ever go up a gear in the big games or hwne games on the line. I would prefer Ben Hunt.

Is brown any better? He gets stuck in that 15m lane next to lane. I was disappointed after seeing him pop onto the right side vs the raiders to great effect only to not do it again for the rest of the finals.

I feel like he's way too laid back to be a primary playmates.

hindy111

Post Whore
Is brown any better? He gets stuck in that 15m lane next to lane. I was disappointed after seeing him pop onto the right side vs the raiders to great effect only to not do it again for the rest of the finals.

I feel like he's way too laid back to be a primary playmates.

Yeah but he is 22. He may be that guy who takes us to the title. I just don't think Moses is and has peaked.

King-Gutho94

Coach
D.Brown > Moses

I agree that Moses isn't clutch in the big moments. But aside from that he is a good goal kicker.

Hunt doesn't have that string to his bow. Mitchell Pearce was in similar boat couldn't control a game but also didn't impact the scoreboard either with Goal Kicking.

If your a halfback and you ain't a goal kicker these days you should be 100-200k less value then one that does.

Avenger

Immortal
I agree that Moses isn't clutch in the big moments. But aside from that he is a good goal kicker.

Hunt doesn't have that string to his bow. Mitchell Pearce was in similar boat couldn't control a game but also didn't impact the scoreboard either with Goal Kicking.

If your a halfback and you ain't a goal kicker these days you should be 100-200k less value then one that does.
Papenhuyzen can kick goals.
😉

King-Gutho94

Coach
I’d be pulling all stops to get him.
No harm in trying but I would say unlikely.

Just I think he is settled in Melbourne and he also has greater access to promote his brand in Melbourne.

He has the Melbourne and Sydney market which players up here don't have with sponsors. It's one advantage Melbourne have over Sydney clubs. Players who are big popular names down there can tap into Melbourne and Sydney or Brisbane depending on where there from.

Slater and Smith were big names for Brisbane and QLD while also benefitting from the Melbourne exposure

Ryan does love coming back here to the area in the off-season. I have seen him up here at bars in Castle Hill and Dural numerous times in the past couple of years hanging around & having a few beers with mates.