What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
Who have we recruited from another club that is a problem?
We may end up with a Tapau or someone similar but so far, our recruitment has been Murchie, Moimosea and Hopgood who all have their best years in front of them and Hodgson who was recruited as much for the on-field leadership we are lacking than anything else.
Just because some posters on here are saying who they want, doesnt mean the club is thinking the same thing mate.
Relax a little.
More the point we have done sfa to develop our own. Talk of Frizzel, Klemer and Tapau is only following the stories of our club chasing them last year. Do you honestly think we have given potential a fair chance? Are those 3 better that what we have in the 2s. Maybe they are but I guess we may never find out.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
More the point we have done sfa to develop our own.
*poach

Developing quality first graders isn’t a matter of smashing them in the gym, saying the right things and then giving them 40 minutes every week. If they’re not good enough for decent minutes they’re not good enough. There needs to be an element of natural ability. This is why these clubs with the ‘best coaching’ also spends so much on scouting and recruiting players. You can’t polish a turd.

It’s likely none of the forwards in our reserve grade squad will ever become genuine NRL players. That’s why we’ve signed a couple from elsewhere who might.

hindy111

Post Whore
*poach

Developing quality first graders isn’t a matter of smashing them in the gym, saying the right things and then giving them 40 minutes every week. If they’re not good enough for decent minutes they’re not good enough. There needs to be an element of natural ability. This is why these clubs with the ‘best coaching’ also spends so much on scouting and recruiting players. You can’t polish a turd.

It’s likely none of the forwards in our reserve grade squad will ever become genuine NRL players. That’s why we’ve signed a couple from elsewhere who might.

Agree. Greig was the one they liked. I reckon they've gone off him now. Ogden and Makatoa would be seen as nothing more then guy can count on if needed but not blocking the pathway of a better kid.
Rodwell could be ok but I doubt his ceilings that high. Same goes for El Zakem. They most likely are a similar level to Ogden and Makatoa.
The ones to look out for are Mataele and a few younger ones who aren't ready. There is another NSW cup prop who might go well with a huge off season but forget his name right now. Come from souths.

SneakyEel

Juniors
Agree. Greig was the one they liked. I reckon they've gone off him now. Ogden and Makatoa would be seen as nothing more then guy can count on if needed but not blocking the pathway of a better kid.
Rodwell could be ok but I doubt his ceilings that high. Same goes for El Zakem. They most likely are a similar level to Ogden and Makatoa.
The ones to look out for are Mataele and a few younger ones who aren't ready. There is another NSW cup prop who might go well with a huge off season but forget his name right now. Come from souths.
Hindy you keep bringing up this Mataele kid. Is he any good? I've never seen him play

hindy111

Post Whore
Hindy you keep bringing up this Mataele kid. Is he any good? I've never seen him play

He is young and playing NSW cup so they must rate him. Bit lump of a kid. I haven't seen enough to judge him.
Would be guys in here who would have a much better idea then I would on age and potential and what clubs sees in him.

Gazzamatta

Coach
*poach

I agree. Very unlikely under our current systems.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree. Very unlikely under our current systems.
In 2017 we won SG Ball and NYC/Flegg made the grand final. That under 20s side had Dylan Brown from NZ and players recruited from interstate. Half a dozen of them have since played NRL, which is pretty good for an age restricted team. Since then we’re obviously spending a lot less. It all starts with junior recruitment.

JokerEel

Coach
He is young and playing NSW cup so they must rate him. Bit lump of a kid. I haven't seen enough to judge him.
Would be guys in here who would have a much better idea then I would on age and potential and what clubs sees in him.

His defence needs alot of work if he wants to make it in first grade.

Apart from the final two or so games where he dropped out of the 17, Makatoa was regularly selected all year (24 games) and decent enough minutes.

I'd be surprised if he's not somewhat rated by BA and the club, and - hypothetical recruitment aside - would be surprised if Maka didn't continue to feature in our selected 19 most weeks in 2024.

hindy111

Post Whore
Apart from the final two or so games where he dropped out of the 17, Makatoa was regularly selected all year (24 games) and decent enough minutes.

I'd be surprised if he's not somewhat rated by BA and the club, and - hypothetical recruitment aside - would be surprised if Maka didn't continue to feature in our selected 19 most weeks in 2024.

Another off-season for younger blood to overtake him is how I see it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Stop buying bloody has beens. Give Emu, El Zak and Rodwell extended game time to show their worth amongst better players. I cant believe after 10 years of poor development we have to recruit other clubs problems. We knew all last season that 5 forwards in our top 17 were leaving yet we did sfa to develop replacements. Absolutely crazy.

I think Rodwell is a great prototype for the modern day prop - not overly tall, or heavy, but with good mobility, and a big motor.

Then again, Makatoa outperformed him in NSW up at times...

Stevie

Bench
Sounds like Tigers have signed Bateman. Unsure if we were chasing him but we are really needing a strike back rower and back.
Sad face.

SneakyEel

Juniors
Sounds like Tigers have signed Bateman. Unsure if we were chasing him but we are really needing a strike back rower and back.
Sad face.
If we didn't make a play we f**ked up badly there. I have a weird feeling we'll see Frizell in the blue and gold next year. Hopefully, he pulls his weight if we get him.