What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That it isn't ( at least to date ) employee compensation that's driving those increased costs, as it's been for the most part "profiteering" that's driving that.
No, labour costs are the biggest expense for most businesses.
If one was an interventionist with a bent for wealth re-distribution, it wouldn't be NRL players salaries one would worry about.
If you ran the NRL and were concerned about the long term, there's plenty of areas you'd want to spend your extra money before giving more to the players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou is using casual wages to get his figure and apprentice wage.
I mean the lowest paid adult is about $24hr. You times that by 38 and then by 52 weeks. You end up with almost 48k.

Majority of people are getting a lot more then $24hr. Not including people on big salaries. Id say most unskilled workers would get closer to $30 and skilled would start at min $40
Most around $50 I would say around $38-$40hr would be average
Plenty of people aren't getting 40 hours a week.

Bandwagon

Staff member
No, labour costs are the biggest expense for most businesses.
Despite using the word "no", that's not a rebuttal of what I said, not even close, wages being the biggest expense for most business' and not being the driver for recent inflation are not mutually exclusive statements.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If you ran the NRL and were concerned about the long term, there's plenty of areas you'd want to spend your extra money before giving more to the players.
This is also likely true, it's generally not in the interests of capital to increase costs without some sort of benefit for doing so.

Equally though if I was a player, I'd want more money, who doesn't?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of course but the quality of the game and the bigger the pool of players will be better if there is more money available.
The salary cap covers the 510 top 30 players in the game plus however many are counted in the development list (up to $650k per club so maybe ten players each, which is another 170). The quality of the game requires a flow of talent from amateur level to the NRL. This is the area that seems to be in decline.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Despite using the word "no", that's not a rebuttal of what I said, not even close, wages being the biggest expense for most business' and not being the driver for recent inflation are not mutually exclusive statements.
We are talking about the decisions made by businesses. They have more control over how much they spend on labour than many of their other costs. Also, businesses were going broke before this recent period of inflation.

Bandwagon

Staff member
We are talking about the decisions made by businesses. They have more control over how much they spend on labour than many of their other costs. Also, businesses were going broke before this recent period of inflation.

Again that's not mutually exclusive from what I said, indeed more than anything it lends support to it.

Yes but where is the accountability on the player?

They choose to make this there career - should it not be the responsibility of the player and his "advisers" to understand the potential risks involved? and make an assessment based on their lifestyle, current circumstances and goals for the future?
I'm not sure that I said anything against that.

Latest posts