What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Brad Arthur himself opening by saying the main thing is the win and loss column result... what would Pou say with all of his other obtuse deflection statistics?!

Arthur saying we need to turn the tight games into wins (well, der...) and that "we can't sugar coat it - we need to win, it's as simple as that".
Obviously we need to win. The point is we’ve shown enough quality to know that we should be confident every game rather than writing the season off.

TheRam

Coach
Imo, Sanders is a more creative halfback - can create plays off the back of quick play-the-balls, go down the short side, etc. He has a strong kicking game, and runs well.

Jake is a better defender, and is more of a "play to the game plan" type - like a Jeff Robson.

I think Sanders will be the better player, but I think Jake is improving well.

Most halves aren't really ready for NRL till around 21-22 years of age. That is when there game and bodies have developed enough to handle the onslaught that is NRL. It is the hardest position to play defensively and creatively so the later the better. Even the big boppers don't have it so tough considering that their role is to simply run hard and not miss tackles around the middle and generally have a lot of help doing it.

Halves being generally on the smaller side, even the larger ones aren't as big as the props, will cop a beating by every giant forward in the opposition just because he is a half. That is where the traffic will focus to ware the half out and hopefully break him. Then the young half has to get his faculties right and focus on what he is expected to do and manage the game for his team, coach and fans. If he slips up the pressure is enormous.

When a kid is still only 18-20 years old they are way to undeveloped physically and mentally to handle all that expectation and it ways on them way to much and many get crushed under that type of pressure. 90% of halves should be brought on real slow to allow them to work on their game and bodies enough to be ready for the NRL's meat grinder.

I always liked what Manly did for DCE way back when he was a kid. They had other halves like Matt Orford and our boy Trent Hodkinson playing 7 and left DCE in the lower grades to develop properly and when they brought him up he was 22 years old. No one outside of Manly had heard of him and I remember how people were questioning Manly's decision to let players like Orford and Hodko go in successive years and only have an untested/unknown kid take their place and manage their squad. Well as we know, the rest is history and DCE has turned out to be a 13+ years GF winning and representative half.

We blood our halves, in particular way to soon. Look at the yoyo performances the young halves at the Dragons are putting in. This will happen especially in a mediocre team like the Dragons. Back in the day when DCE debuted(2011) it was even tougher for a half because they would short you up and get away with it. At least a half today doesn't really have to contend with that type of illegal crap. Souths have done what Manly did for DCE all those years ago and blooded Lachlan Ilias at 22 years as well and even in a strong team it took him a while to adjust and he played a slow and steady, simple no frills game. He even needed to be rested due to tackle fatigue at one stage, but now look at him. Not to many would say barring injury that he won't be a 10+ year safe as housed half in a decent squad.

If we can hold onto a kid like Sanders and be in his ear all the time that patience is his greatest asset right now and that we will look after him and develop his game properly and when he is ready we will do the right thing and bring him up, then that is what we should be doing. If we think that he is going to be a future 10+ year NRL player then we should have the people in place to persuade the kid that we are his club and we are his future and we will look after him. The money will come, but only if he has patience and works hard on his trade doing his apprenticeship properly.

If he is that good, we should be locking him up like other clubs do with their junior players to a longer contract. I have never seen the kid play, but if we think he is our future down the road, then we should be working on him hardcore now. Making him love the club and not want to leave is a good start. Do we even do that? Managers looking for better deals are one thing, but love and passion is another. Look at Jayden Campbell, he probably could of earned more with us, but opted to stick it out as a filler at the Titans because he loves the club and has an strong emotional connection to it and the area. We should be creating that type of atmosphere and feeling amongst the players here too. That is the way you hold on to the best junior talent you want to keep without breaking the bank. Quality mentors and professional surroundings with clear goals and pathways for excellence and success.

I wonder why we can't seem to identify real talent and the few we have had in recent years have mostly left for greener pastures? Just wondering.

Avenger

Immortal
He’s stubborn and he refuses to learn from his shortcomings, he’s still making the same mistakes that he was 10 seasons ago. He continually surrounds himself with the coaching dregs of the NRL.
He did in the past but I think he has the best assistant coach there is in Trent Barrett. Our attack demonstrates this.

I’ve said this in the past, we already have a veteran and experienced coach in our ranks who knows our juniors better than anyone. His name is Nathan Brown. I’d be giving him the gig in at least a caretaker role if we decide to prematurely end BA’s tenure.

Easily one of the best people in the league world. I’ve met him and consider him a Gentleman and true Rugby League expert. A realist who is highly experienced. What I especially admire about him is his self awareness as a coach. He did a good job at Newcastle and knew when it was time to leave. Not many do.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He did in the past but I think he has the best assistant coach there is in Trent Barrett. Our attack demonstrates this.

I’ve said this in the past, we already have a veteran and experienced coach in our ranks who knows our juniors better than anyone. His name is Nathan Brown. I’d be giving him the gig in at least a caretaker role if we decide to prematurely end BA’s tenure.

Easily one of the best people in the league world. I’ve met him and consider him a Gentleman and true Rugby League expert. A realist who is highly experienced. What I especially admire about him is his self awareness as a coach. He did a good job at Newcastle and knew when it was time to leave. Not many do.
How much say does Barrett have??? The attack looked different and promising but when we lost our first 3 it was back to Bea ball. Even last week it wasn’t until we got behind and then decided to play Parraball when we started to score points.

Avenger

Immortal
How much say does Barrett have??? The attack looked different and promising but when we lost our first 3 it was back to Bea ball. Even last week it wasn’t until we got behind and then decided to play Parraball when we started to score points.
I think he has full reign with our attack mate. Our attack is not the problem. It’s our defence and it has been since 2006.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think he has full reign with our attack mate. Our attack is not the problem. It’s our defence and it has been since 2006.
I think it’s the least of our problems atm but the way we attacked earlier in the year disappeared after about the first 4 weeks.

TheRam

Coach

There are rumours that the Dragons are head hunting Brown for a Head of Football role with them and seeing that he is a Dragons man at heart, I wouldn't be surprised if he spears off to them. Might even take a decent junior or two with him. I know I would, but then again I'm a merkin.

Avenger

Immortal
There are rumours that the Dragons are head hunting Brown for a Head of Football role with them and seeing that he is a Dragons man at heart, I wouldn't be surprised if he spears off to them. Might even take a decent junior or two with him. I know I would, but then again I'm a merkin.
If he is lost to our club it will be a disaster.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Attack will always be better if you leak less points. Our defence and reads can be diabolical. We will never win the comp unless we are a top 4 defensive team.
We were top 4 defence in 2020 & 2021.

I reckon 2021 was our best chance - Unfortunately we took too long to settle up in QLD hub which cost us a top 4 spot from a 9-1 start after 10 weeks.

A 5 game losing streak cost us up there and slipped out of the 4. Manly weren't a Top 4 team but got in thanks to Turbo and our late season collapse.

Penrith were more beatable and busted in 2021 then last year.

TheRam

Coach
If he is lost to our club it will be a disaster.

Then you can guarantee that it will happen. That's the way we roll. One step forward, 7 steps back.

But that's okay because the people in charge haven't been here long enough for real change to happen and the fruits of their labour to show.

Be patient grasshopper. The globalists may soon release the longevity potion they have and we will all live till we're 350 years old and see us then holding up the NRLR(robots) trophy. Wipeee!!!

Latest posts