What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Captain BF

Juniors
It seems like Davey gets concussed alot to me. Yesterday was the first game I've seen in just over a month, but from memory, he has been concussed or received a heavy head knock in the last two or three games that I've seen him play.

My apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Matterson
Joe
Greig
Hands
Lane
Carty

Davey..
Jirah

So I have won same amount as our coach..
He's won 130+ NRL games ffs. That's a lot more granular than premierships, which takes a lot of luck. Maguire won a premiership and Brian Smith didn't. which one do you think knows more about footy?

Avenger

Immortal
Why would anyone offer him $650k in 2018? He was already 24 (close to his peak) and doing a decent job but hardly elite. More to the point, why would anyone offer Penisini so little in a world where not one but at least two clubs were willing to pay Blake $650k? Penisini is a legit gun already, and only going to get better. Blake was solid and already 24 years old. 24 + 5 = 29 and most outside backs are in decline by then. The oldest outside backs in Origin this year were Holmes and JAC (both turned 28 after Origin finished). Both were already guns (and Origin players) at 24, unlike Waqa Blake. I'm sorry but I don't believe your source. It's an urban myth.
That’s ok mate. I believe him.

edit: just to reconfirm he was not on $650k every year just his last year. He was never on less than $500k per year however and Penrith subsidised some of it in the first couple of years if his deal. That’s when he was still ok and good bang for buck. Now he needs to be charged with fraud.

Last edited:
This was fun looking back almost a year on. Please reply with your thoughts on this season vs your expectations.
I don't think I was expecting too much this season, with the departure of 5 players and not too much faith in their replacements.

Hodgson disappointed even low expectations, but Hands was a discovery and did really well with the minutes unexpectedly required of him at a level he hadn't really played (just needs to be benched properly before fatigue/missed tackles). Lussick's in the mix now anyway, but I'd be confident Hands can fill an NRL bench spot for us regularly (including with current NSW Cup experience in the halves).

Hopgood exceeded my expectations - it's always hard to tell with a player that had been kept in reggies due to quality in the grade above, but he's had a real dig and is good for 50-60 mins as an NRL middle (also just needs to be benched properly before fatigue/missed tackles).

Reaching a grand final last season was unexpected, and I would have been happy if we made the 8 this year and tried our luck from there. But it seems making the 8 has proved beyond us, and it was really a bunch of senior players - Matterson's suspension, Brown's suspension, Junior's suspension, RCG's suspension, Sivo's suspension - who didn't step up as they should have given the player turnover for us to maintain last year's standards. Lane's injuries didn't help things either, but you get that.

All credit to Cartwright who did improve, and a few newer players have emerged positively too - Greig, Moretti for the future). Still in trouble in the backs, as while Russell has been solid enough to hold down his spot in the 17, we're still one (or two) short in quality out there with the decline of Blake and the impact of random injuries/suspension.

Frank Burge

Juniors
A
Why would anyone offer him $650k in 2018? He was already 24 (close to his peak) and doing a decent job but hardly elite. More to the point, why would anyone offer Penisini so little in a world where not one but at least two clubs were willing to pay Blake $650k? Penisini is a legit gun already, and only going to get better. Blake was solid and already 24 years old. 24 + 5 = 29 and most outside backs are in decline by then. The oldest outside backs in Origin this year were Holmes and JAC (both turned 28 after Origin finished). Both were already guns (and Origin players) at 24, unlike Waqa Blake. I'm sorry but I don't believe your source. It's an urban myth.
Actually Bryan Fletcher , Panthers CEO I believe, said at the time of their 2021 premiership they were paying $600k per season for Blake and RCG to play here, was quoted yesterday in regards to Tallis saying everyone that wins the comp is cheating the cap:

eels_fan

First Grade
AMS was decent for a player certainly not expected to be playing first grade.

the whole system was out on the left side in defence, Brown was supposed to fix it but I’m not sure it happened. AMS was often isolated by Simo just rushing up.

he needs pre-season or 2 in the gym, but he could be a decent prospect

Gronk

Staff member
It seems like Davey gets concussed alot to me. Yesterday was the first game I've seen in just over a month, but from memory, he has been concussed or received a heavy head knock in the last two or three games that I've seen him play.

My apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.
I don't think he was concussed after that WWE back slam yesterday. It was just the HIA Dr who took him off ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wow that's awesome 130+ games amazing.

What does that have to do with the price of fish?
Do you think you could win 130 NRL games? How many years do you think it would take you? Maguire never got there despite winning the comp. It took Cleary 13 years to win 130 games. It took him 16 years to win a premiership. Arthur is only in year ten of his career. He is doing fine, and I'm sure he knows a bit about rugby league. More than you or me anyway.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
A

Actually Bryan Fletcher , Panthers CEO I believe, said at the time of their 2021 premiership they were paying $600k per season for Blake and RCG to play here, was quoted yesterday in regards to Tallis saying everyone that wins the comp is cheating the cap:
Right. If you're cheating the cap it doesn't really matter how much you're paying merkins to play elsewhere, does it?

JokerEel

Coach
Do you think you could win 130 NRL games? How many games do you think it would take you? Maguire never got there despite winning the comp. It took Cleary 13 years to win 130 games. It took him 16 years to win a premiership. Arthur is only in year ten of his career. He is doing fine, and I'm sure he knows a bit about rugby league. More than you or me anyway.

I probably would have 1 win but sure as hell would not have wasted a top 30 spot on Jirah or Davey plus maybe would have given more of a shit of what players were going to be back ups and not signed an over the hill hooker from Canberra.

which gives me the W in the end of the day.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The cap would be f**ked for a decade if you were in charge of managing it. Depth too. You'd end up paying minimum salary to 20 merkins who aren't even worth half of it. Your bench, a few starters and entire reserve grade side would be made up of players like Dan Keir and Chris Tupou.

JokerEel

Coach
The cap would be f**ked for a decade if you were in charge of managing it. Depth too. You'd end up paying minimum salary to 20 merkins who aren't even worth half of it. Your bench, a few starters and entire reserve grade side would be made up of players like Dan Keir and Chris Tupou.

Well I wouldn't be paying 650k a season for Waqa so there is that...

Dan Keir > Jirah

Our depth isn't f**ked right now?

Avenger

Immortal
Because AMS is either indigenous/ Pacific Islander and a Qlder I think we are looking at his debut with rose coloured glasses. Players in these three categories are usually more gifted athletes. In saying that I thought he went ok only. 5/10. Apparently according to TCT he is the quickest player at the club which is why my glasses have a slight tinge to them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well I wouldn't be paying 650k a season for Waqa so there is that...
Gould supposedly paid it and he's won multiple premierships as a coach and administrator.
Dan Keir > Jirah
Only as a toiler. Momoisea is a better attacking player.
Our depth isn't f**ked right now?
It's f**ked because merkins have been unavailable, not because they're no good. The following top 30 players didn't play this weekend:

Campbell-Gillard
Doorey
Dunster
Hodgson
Lane
Sivo

And we still won all three grades, including putting on big scores in the two lower grades. Our depth is fine.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because AMS is either indigenous/ Pacific Islander and a Qlder I think we are looking at his debut with rose coloured glasses. Players in these three categories are usually more gifted athletes. In saying that I thought he went ok only. 5/10. Apparently according to TCT he is the quickest player at the club which is why my glasses have a slight tinge to them.
He is very young mate. Played SG Ball last year, so has plenty of development left in him. I liked his composure, and his lack of beef can be fixed with a couple of pre-seasons on the peptides.