What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think any lack of depth we are now experiencing is actually due to a lack of planning.

I know of a couple of players we have definitely gone for over the last few months, but haven't been able to entice away from their current clubs.

I think our lack of recruitment in some key areas (outside backs for example) before the season kicked off was more due to the fact there were no real suitable candidates available.
Nah the club didn't know we had fewer than 30 merkins signed even though some slobs on the internet knew it. They also knew how to get them for exactly the right price despite competition from other clubs.

With a new NRL team coming in I'm glad the club decided to be cautious in the player market. The dust hasn't yet settled on what a minimum salary player looks like now that there are 510 NRL players compared to the 480 from last year. How good should these extra 30 merkins be? How much should the 280th best player in the NRL be paid this year now that he's in a top 17 somewhere compared to last year when he wasn't? All these questions matter for recruiting into the bottom half of your 30 man squad and there isn't a lot of data around it. What we know for sure is that old assumptions no longer work and there is plenty of salary cap risk associated with getting it wrong.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Your posting methodology might better be compared to passing the ball into your team-mates head on the 1st tackle every single time, and then knocking it forward out of their hands as they are trying to pick it up.

10/10 for effort.
Execution on the other hand...
"Legit question: why do you bother?"

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
The point is that the ones you need aren't always available when you need them, nor at the right price. Should you just sign whoever is available as soon as possible after November 1st? You're better off leaving a gap in your squad and using players outside the top 30 if backup and depth players want too much for a top 30 contract. If you do need to use backups in first grade you play them for limited minutes, or if they're in 80 minute positions you reduce their attacking involvement. I've said for years that you don't get into cap trouble by not signing merkins. This is why I trust the club. Their decisions make sense to me.
they mostly make sense to me too. But decisions turn into mistakes when shit goes wrong, which it has this year.

Delboy

First Grade
He built the current Panthers system.
People in the Penrith system will tell you that Gould was the mouthpiece, the system was built by Matt Cameron and run by him and Jim Jones. Gould did finance their COE when the Panthers got out of trouble after Gould got refinancing via James Packer (they were in manic cash flow problems )

Gould is good at self promotion but talent identification is not his forte.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
they mostly make sense to me too. But decisions turn into mistakes when shit goes wrong, which it has this year.
They're not mistakes, they're just realised risk. The risk was always there. The decision makers always knew about it. The best way to eliminate risk is to not have an NRL team.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well if he can't make NRL anymore considering one of the Storms weaknesses is their backline, well something definitely is up. So unless we know exactly what it is and feel it wouldn't be a problem for us to rectify and considering his age now, I would be very hesitant to take him on.

We need a centre/wing that is in their prime or coming into it, not someone that maybe on the way down and out.

We need to cut as much deadwood as possible this off season and only recruit player that are better then what we currently have or are juniors that have a way higher potential ceiling, like the Roosters will be doing.

They already have got the jump on us for next season by the acquisition of Spencer Leniu and Dominic Young. Two players that would have transformed our roster for next year and who are exactly what we currently need. Spencer only cost $525K a season, which is a bargain for a player like him. Dominic will be on $500K, the same we paid for Fergo, so we do and should pay that sort of money for quality that we currently don't have and desperately need.

But we can only do that if we are ruthless and recognise just like the Roosters do that you can't win tittles by holding on to dead wood that will never flower or has dried up or is drying up and needs to be pruned.

How we can sign Offy and Davey for example which I'm sure if you combine both salaries would be around $500K if not more and not pursue Leniu who I'm sure would have looked at Parra quite favourably considering that we are basically next door to the Panthers compared to the Rooster and he would have mates here and the social dynamic and environment would be way more similar to the Panthers then the Roosters too. I reckon we would have had a great attraction for him as opposed to the Eastern Suburbs.

Anyway, what is done is done. We can't go back. We just need to hopefully wakeup and realise that buying a heap of average to plodders may give you depth, but in the long run will not win you a premiership. You need to have genuine NRL standard players.

We went into this years premiership with a sub par Hooker issue(gambling on a injury prone veteran). Also a winger and centre weakness that everyone could see that was just a ticking time bomb waiting to happen, much like our hooker situation really. And also we needed to sure up our frontrow with a quality third palooka.

We almost got lucky with Emu showing some signs of life and quality but then he went down, so who knows really how good he will be and will he kick on or not to be a genuine and reliable middle that can eventually take over the front row leadership group. That is a big ask, but that's what we need from him or otherwise he will be just another mediocre middle and we will eventually need to look elsewhere for someone to eventually take poll position over Junior, which by the looks of things maybe in a year or two at best.

Like many here have been saying, Potato Head will burn out our middles way sooner then they should be by the way he plays them with no real other support. Look at the Panthers, they developed outside backs that take that many hitups and relieve their palookas from that much grunt work that they should never experience burnout. We needed to be way smarter with our recruitment at least 2-3 years ago and sourced at least one other gorilla back, but we didn't.

Lets hop that someone at head office has an epiphany and realises all of the above and actually has the ruthless balls to do something about it. To sit there in the off season and say my hands are tied, we just don't have the cap space anymore is just not acceptable. At the very least we should somehow recruit a centre or winger that is a genuine metre eater or shit hot speedster that isn't a liability in defense.

Who, well there are players in every club that if your recruitment is up to it can persuade to break contracts just like happens all the time. Will you always be successful? Hell no, but give it a red hot crack ffs!!

Of course if our nursery was producing players the way it should have been doing(who's fault is that I wonder?), we probably wouldn't have these problems and we would now be sitting in the top 4 looking forward to blitzing every other team including the Panthers, who I think are very beatable if there was a genuine top quality roster out their with finals experience. Only the Broncos are a real quality roster besides the Panthers, but they may still be a little to green to beat such an experienced and high quality coached team like the Panthers. The Cowboys are almost there but they would need a lot of things go their way and maybe, but probably not.

Souths are busted and I can't see them really reversing all their issues. So that's it. There is no one else that could or will come close.

We on the other hand could have if we had addressed our issues properly before the season started. It is such a wasted season again too, considering how well Cartwright has flourished this season. He is an upgrade on Papalii in both offence and defense. He would have been a massive weapon for us had we got our weaknesses sorted like we should have. What a crying shame.

That post is longer then your. Well uno what I am talking about
😍

hindy111

Post Whore
I think our forward pack is over rated and out of wack. Individually it's brilliant but we used to have a nice balance of offloading skilled players and straight hard runners in Marata and Papali'i. Both had great leg speed and just went forward.

Now we have RCG and a bunch of guys who can offload and create. Grieg is a but but slow leg speed. Morretti is probably next best behind RCG as far as going straight and hard.

Look at Penriths side. The pack isn't skillfull bar Yeo. But they all run like bulls with great legs speed and quick play the balls.
Most of their backs are the same. Straight and hard. To many of our forwards and backs just don't do this well.

Hopgood and Bryce are great and playing excellent. But they don't offer the same punch as Marata and Papali'i even tho they are more skilled.
Lanes also been missed. Barely played all season.

2024 we will be a lot better but 2025 is when I think we challenge again.

Delboy

First Grade
Of course they will. It's the nature of any organisation to blame current problems on everyone who has left and give them none of the credit.
Listen you argumentative twit. They are happy with their junior system and weren’t blaming anyone, just that Gould had little to do with real junior development, just stating the facts who actually did that work. Gus got in front of the board etc and managed the funding and got support, other people did the grunt work and made it what it is.

You don’t have to argue and try to twist things, surely you are too smart to consistently try that on.

Eelogical

Referee
Listen you argumentative twit. They are happy with their junior system and weren’t blaming anyone, just that Gould had little to do with real junior development, just stating the facts who actually did that work. Gus got in front of the board etc and managed the funding and got support, other people did the grunt work and made it what it is.

You don’t have to argue and try to twist things, surely you are too smart to consistently try that on.
He went to the University For Arguments in his younger years. Apparently he's passed with flying colours.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't think he was concussed after that WWE back slam yesterday. It was just the HIA Dr who took him off ?

He looked a little wobbly, to me - but who could blame him?

Not 5 minutes later, the Dragons did another similar tackle...bloody grubs...

Latest posts