What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Giving someone 22% tip is outrageous. Especially when they expect it for just doing something rudimentary. I’m happy to round up when I’m back home but these pricks even have the tipping percentages listed when you tap. They are a nation that will eventually implode. You can feel it.

Everyone should have a look, it’s fascinating at first but eventually it wears you down like BA’s coaching.

We pay 10% GST on everything. It's kind of similar except you can tip what you like. I don't see the big issue at all. I do recall 10% back when I visited in 2008 however was standard and you'd give less or more based in service or breast size

eels_fan

First Grade

King-Gutho94

Coach
Where is that tigers merkin who swears the tigers are not paying a cent of Joffa’s deal?

Joe Ofahengaue (Eels) being paid $150,000 by Tigers until end of 2025

Panthers still chipping in $200k of Waqa’s too. He’s ripping off 2 clubs at once
What about the Dogs paying 400k a year for DWZ still.

And Gus is some kind of genius.

JokerEel

Coach

It’s the hidden $3 million salary cap cost that clubs across the NRL are paying to prop up their rivals.

The struggling Wests Tigers and Bulldogs headline a list of NRL clubs paying discarded players to play for an opposition team.

This masthead has uncovered 13 current contracts for players – including David Klemmer, Nathan Brown, Waqa Blake and Jackson Hastings – all of which are being supplemented by payments from their former teams.

The salary cap is a moving beast in the modern game. Clubs are constantly wheeling and dealing as they look to strengthen their roster and remove any perceived deadwood.

It has led to an increasing trend to juggle the salary cap by frequently trading contracted players, either because they are no longer wanted by the coach or in order to gain flexibility in their roster.

In some instances the cap gain is minimal. For example, St George-Illawarra hooker Jacob Liddle was contracted to the Wests Tigers until the end of this season.

However, in order to make way for Api Koroisau’s arrival, the Tigers released Liddle from the final year with the carrot of paying $50,000 of his salary at the Dragons.

At the other end of the spectrum is former NSW prop Klemmer.

When he was released by Newcastle from the final year of his contract (2023), the Knights agreed to fork-out $400,000 to sweeten the deal for the Wests Tigers.

Clubs can quickly fall out of love with players too.

Joe Ofahengaue was the Tigers player of the year just last year. By May he was at the Eels with the Tigers contributing $150,000 to his contract until the end of 2025.

It’s not necessarily doom and gloom for clubs that decide to pay-out players to play elsewhere. Penrith are still contributing around $200,000 this year for Eels outside back Waqa Blake despite having not played with the Panthers since 2019.

The decision made by former Penrith GM of football Phil Gould also included the release of Reagan Campbell-Gillard to Parramatta in 2019. Up until last season, the Panthers were supplementing a major portion of his contract, prior to his most recent upgrade this year.

Sacrificed but still a salary

• Nathan Brown (Roosters) being paid $350,000 by Eels until end of 2023
  • Nick Cotric (Raiders) being paid $150,000 by Bulldogs until end of 2025
  • Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Warriors) being paid $400,000 by Bulldogs until end of 2024
  • Corey Allan (Roosters) being paid $180,000 by the Bulldogs until end of 2023
  • David Klemmer (Tigers) being paid $400,000 by Knights until end of 2023
  • Jake Clifford (Hull FC) being paid $100,000 by Knights until end of 2023
  • Charlie Staines (Tigers) being paid $200,000 by Panthers until end of 2023
  • Waqa Blake (Eels) being paid $200,000 by Panthers until the end of 2023
  • Jacob Liddle (Dragons) being paid $50,000 by Tigers until end of 2023
  • Zane Musgrove (Dragons) being paid $125,000 by Tigers until end of 2024
  • Joe Ofahengaue (Eels) being paid $150,000 by Tigers until end of 2025
  • Jackson Hastings (Knights) being paid $100,000 by Tigers until end of 2023
  • Ken Maumalo (Titans) being paid $100,000 by Tigers until end of 2023
  • Oliver Gildart (Leigh) being paid $50,000 by Tigers until end of 2023
The polarising recruitment style is born from a number of reasons. The Tigers are among the clubs to have used it in recent seasons and it will be interesting to see where incoming coach Benji Marshall stands on the policy.

Marshall has already made an impression while working as an understudy to Tim Sheens. He was a driving force behind their signing of Aidan Sezer and played a role in the pursuit of the Fainu boys – Latu and Samuela – as well as Jayden Sullivan.

If Marshall decides the roster needs more massaging, it could be that the club look to move players on. Already, they are contributing money to a handful of players at other clubs.

Ofahengaue, Jackson Hastings, Kan Maumalo an Oliver Gildart were all moved on this season with a contribution from the Tigers.

There could be more change on the way, although Marshall insisted on Friday that he was content with how the roster was taking shape next season.

“I am pretty happy with where it is at,” he said.

“We are making strides in the direction we want to go with the roster. But again, all those things are all internal. And once we do figure out the people we are going to sign, you people will be the first to know.”

King-Gutho94

Coach
So basically we come out even

Nrown is being paid 350k by us to play for the chooks.

Then
Waqa is being paid 200k by Penrith to play for us
Joffa is being paid 150k by Tigers to play for us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s not necessarily doom and gloom for clubs that decide to pay-out players to play elsewhere. Penrith are still contributing around $200,000 this year for Eels outside back Waqa Blake despite having not played with the Panthers since 2019.

The decision made by former Penrith GM of football Phil Gould also included the release of Reagan Campbell-Gillard to Parramatta in 2019. Up until last season, the Panthers were supplementing a major portion of his contract, prior to his most recent upgrade this year.
Obviously when the cap doesn't matter, neither does paying merkins to play elsewhere.

Tiger5150

Bench
Where is that tigers merkin who swears the tigers are not paying a cent of Joffa’s deal?

Joe Ofahengaue (Eels) being paid $150,000 by Tigers until end of 2025

Panthers still chipping in $200k of Waqa’s too. He’s ripping off 2 clubs at once
Here I am!

So.......News Ltd are a legitimate source now?

Gronk

Staff member
Waqa Blake (Eels) being paid $200,000 by Panthers until the end of 2023
So many merkins argued this was not true. So many had the inside word. Shall we believe merkins or telecrap ?

Confused High Quality GIF

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought Panthers weren’t paying for Blake, @Poupou Escobar ? Next time I tell you something maybe you should f**king listen and stop being a troll on your own f**king forum.
You're the one who said we were paying 'full freight' this year:
He is Pou. We took him because Penrith were paying half. Now we are paying full freight and he’s as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Personally I think we don't know and we couldn't know because the journos don't know. Stop misrepresenting my position when I pull you up for your shit opinions. I don't know how much we or other clubs are paying for any of our players, and neither do you.