What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
Yeah fair point. Barba should've called it something else and he'd be sweet.

I note there is evidence that Ben Barba has used Cocaine. It appears that he is also not disputing that he has used Cocaine.

So why have the NSW Police not charged him with using Cocaine?

Chipmunk

Coach
In this case terminology doesn't matter. We are talking about abuse of an
Illegal substance. If it's not a crime what is it? A f**king traffic offence? It's something employers should care deeply about.

Find me.any NSW Law that says that using a narcotic is a crime.

Chipmunk

Coach
Are you splitting hairs over the difference between use and possession?

They are two distinctly different things.

Crimimals posses, supply, traffic, import and in some instances cultivate drugs.

Victims use drugs.

According to the laws in every State and Territory in this country anyway.

Yeh, we'be been down this road before.....simply having a substance in your bloodstream is not an offense. But it may corroborate other evidence of possession. And obviously if u drive a car while hammered that is an offense.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think that's obvious, but it's a typical minor irrelevancy where someone has picked up on something inaccurate that Pou has said but failed to acknowledge or understand the broader point he was making.

lingard

Coach
Why is Storm letting all their good players go? The big 3 are also coming to the end of their careers. Will be down the bottom of the ladder soon and being in Melbourne will lose their support base unless this trend changes.

Wonder how long before Harris turns from a good player to average player with the Warriors?

Stephen Kearney won't let that happen.

lingard

Coach
In this case terminology doesn't matter. We are talking about abuse of an
Illegal substance. If it's not a crime what is it? A f**king traffic offence? It's something employers should care deeply about.

The point I was making is that (with Ben Barba) the 'offence' allegedly occurred during a period of time (between season's end and the beginning of pre-season training) when he was on holidays from his job. What right does the NRL have to drug-test (for recreational drugs, not performance enhancing drugs) outside of working hours? He wasn't causing any problems, no arrests, no charges, didn't bring the game into disrepute, nothing like that. And now his NRL career is over. I just think it's putrid. Fair enough to be tested during the season and during pre-season training; but not in your own out-of-work hours. And that's why I'm surprised the Players' Association doesn't say something about it. These players are people, not robots.

Happy MEel

First Grade
He was still contracted to the NRL via his Sharks contract, regardless of the fact it was between the season proper and pre-season training. NRL players don't find themselves unemployed between the Grand Final and when they return to pre-season. I'd also argue that Barba absolutely brought the game into disrepute.

Happy MEel

First Grade
However, I would say that the NRL view possession and consumption of illegal substances in a similar light. They set a precedent with Corey and so probably felt a similar punishment was warranted.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Thats his choice though. He could cop his suspension like Norman, Pearce etc and be back playing in 12 weeks.
Agreed, there is nothing stopping him getting a job in the next 3 or 4 months like the rest of us poor saps. Hard to feel sorry for him at Alex

Looks like when Todd told us Ben was in trouble and he needed our help our fearless leader wasn't able to do it.

Latest posts