What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
Lets be honest head coaching is 90% management 10% tactics.

If you have the right staff behind you then all you have to worry about is getting the players in the right frame of mind.

BA's biggest issue was his inability to attract quality assistant coaches. The theory was he saw them as threat hence why he surrounded himself with some garbage.

How many assistant coaches under BA have gone on to be successful at other clubs.
Sorry, don't agree. Arthur was in charge of the "chase the collision" tactics; the outdated 'power game'. He stacked his side with big powerful forwards and used the backs only as extra forwards to cart the ball up. It never varied. They were his tactics. His assistants changed over the years but our style of play never did.

yy_cheng

Coach
Sorry, don't agree. Arthur was in charge of the "chase the collision" tactics; the outdated 'power game'. He stacked his side with big powerful forwards and used the backs only as extra forwards to cart the ball up. It never varied. They were his tactics. His assistants changed over the years but our style of play never did.
If you watch sivo, he chases the collision but is kinda scared of it. He doesn't try and beat the man.

Then watch semi, he always tried to get in the open.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I started the cheika push 8 weeks ago before BA was even sacked.

I don't mind Hannay.

But the Cheik is the man if you want a leader to embrace the challenge of tackling the longest premiership drought.

In fact I reckon Cheika would embrace the fact even more we haven't won in a long time.

The harder the challenge the tougher the leader you need.

The Cheik is the man you want.

If we get Cheika, we wont be getting a Hannay or Ryles type assistants, they will be pretty green as most coaches like to pick their own assistants

At least Hannay and Ryles have been in the system for a few years and will have a pretty decent opinion/connections on assistants, especially Hannay as he's in the QLD SOO system as well.

We've bitched about BA's assistants since forever and they are going to be as important as the coach and something we really need to get right, especially a defensive coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The style changed when the squad did, after 2018. Up until then we were great attacking the edges, but the very slow ruck meant that it got too hard to shift the ball without edge defenders up in your shit. That's why we changed tack and recruited big boiz for 2019. So the tactics have suited the roster every single year. It's fair to argue the roster is outdated, but at least the tactics suit them.

Glenneel

Bench
I think it’s a stretch to be blaming assistant coaches at any club or the performance of the NRL team. Context is everything and you don’t know what role the merkin has at the club has PLUS one might be blessed with a gun squad and another not. Newcastle for example hardly have a roster full of stars vs Storm.
The Storm is riddled with rejects from other clubs that Bellamy turned into stars. Easily the best coach in NRL into making ordinary players much better and most innovative with dirty, grubby tactics.

Eelementary

Post Whore
If Michael Cheika can get the Wallabies -the f**king WALLABIES, who have sucked ever since John Eales retired - to a RWC Final, I've no doubt he can get a perennially under-achieving NRL club, like the Eels, some much-needed on-field success.

I stated it before, and it was glossed over, but the point is still valid - rugby union, though boring, is a technically much more difficult game to master, than rugby league.

I see no reason why a man who was so successful in union, cannot translate that to league.

Gronk

Staff member
The Storm is riddled with rejects from other clubs that Bellamy turned into stars. Easily the best coach in NRL into making ordinary players much better and most innovative with dirty, grubby tactics.
That’s an interesting take. Storm have one feeder Cup team in NSW and two in Qld. Do they recruit ordinary players or do they attract elite kids and warehouse them ?

Case in point; Jontay-Junior Betham-Misa.

Are they ordinary players or just have a constant stream of above average 20 somethings to pick from ?

YES, they do have the runs on the board in converting fellas like Meaney, Smith and Blore into good first graders. However those players compliment the above average players that they have recruited from other clubs.

My 2 cents anyway.

Legal Eel

Juniors
That’s an interesting take. Storm have one feeder Cup team in NSW and two in Qld. Do they recruit ordinary players or do they attract elite kids and warehouse them ?

Are they ordinary players or just have a constant stream of above average 20 somethings to pick from ?

YES, they do have the runs on the board in converting fellas like Meaney, Smith and Blore into good first graders. However those players compliment the above average players that they have recruited from other clubs.

My 2 cents anyway.
So they recruit well AND extract potential from others.

They are a well run and well coached system Some of it is Bellamy, some of it is Ponissi.

And before Pou mumbles about resources in his sleep in Perth, I happen to know that Ponissi could earn more elsewhere but he himself has bought into the Bellamy success narrative and wants to be part of it.

we just can’t seem to develop the same systems, no matter the resource advantage we have in junior numbers, member base, facilities and market advantages.

King-Gutho94

Coach

They are a well run and well coached system Some of it is Bellamy, some of it is Ponissi.

And before Pou mumbles about resources in his sleep in Perth, I happen to know that Ponissi could earn more elsewhere but he himself has bought into the Bellamy success narrative and wants to be part of it.

we just can’t seem to develop the same systems, no matter the resource advantage we have in junior numbers, member base, facilities and market advantages.
I reckon Ponissi also loves the fact he can do his job without many distractions in Melbourne. They just go about there work without the media hassling them 24/7. They also has access to plenty High Performance sporting sides in the code down there to feed off.

Legal Eel

Juniors

My 2 cents anyway.
And yes, I do believe Brad Arthur was okay at developing certain players potential - but I also think his weakness was the establishment of a leadership clique within the club and it has held back some player selections and resulted in a stubborn refusal to sack players who should be dropped or never selected in the first

everyone in the media and around the game knows there is an abrasive insularity around the parramatta first grade squad and I believe this attitude of infallibility has held us back - hopefully it changes now

Gronk

Staff member

Yes, I am sure that every club bar Penrith envy their setup. I wonder what their budget is ?

Avenger

Immortal
About a month ago I had the pleasure of listening to Ivan Cleary speak. What resonated with me most is that he said that at the beginning of his coaching career he did all the coaching citing his time at the Warriors. Now however when he has had the most success he hands over the majority of the attacking and defensive tactics to his assistant coaches.

Cheika could have a similar approach.

hindy111

Post Whore
Life goals: I want the mean girls to respect me ?

giphy.gif

What do you honestly expect when you constantly correct people and show them they are wrong. Them to just cop it sweet?

Gronk

Staff member
Keep plumbing for excuses.
And you were doing so well. Just talking footy. But then you couldn't resist going down the path of wedge politics.

Try jumping back on the tracks, it's not hard. Just a little discipline.

Latest posts