What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
first I agree the year has been a shit show! and there is plenty we need to fix. But it's not all bad:

form:

- when we have had Moses/Gutho on the field we are 3 from 6, that % is almost enough for finals. 3 of those loses being to top 6 sides, 2 top 4. So yes our form has been poor, but it's half ok, with our spine on the field.
- some things like fixing our competition rate and 20% improvement in our defence, would make a huge difference to our form. Not simple but possible
- so there is something there for new coach to work with

Board/management

- They weren't happy like all of us, with our form, so they sacked our coach.
- they turned things around last time we finished last

Squad/recruitment

- yeah there are issues with the squad. Depth, speed and potentially age.
- however we have experience in the pack
- importantly we have a quality spine.
- we have recruited 2 origin players in 3 years (both side before they debuted). So we can recruit quality
- some really promising rookies in Arthur, Talagi and potentially Guymer. All who could add much needed youth into the squad.
- there is plenty for a new coach to work with.
- looks like the pathways are starting to produce players. A lot are getting runs in NSW cup
- the 2 best, next potential NRL coaches both want the coaching job, so they see potential at the eels. Plenty of rookies have knocked back jobs before as if wasn't in their best interests to take (CC dragons/tigers, Ryles dragons)

Salary cap

- looking at our contracts, we pretty much have stuff all contracted for 2026. We should have a fair bit of cash. It gives the new coach a year to see what he has and where we need to improve. Not many coaches have such a short timeframe to be able to turn around a squad (see tigers, dogs, dragons etc)
- there is already evidence club is being proactive to free up space for next year. Sivo is being shopped and rumours of Paulo to (and this isn't the smith one)

Issues
- we need some speed in the backs
- depth
- not having a full squad
- these things need fixing
- need to continue investing in our resources.

So yes a doomy and gloomy season but don't see us, in the likes of tigers, dragons, dogs, who took (or are still taking) several years to fix their squads and get off the bottom. Yeah it won't be easy, but reckon we have a pretty solid base to get off the bottom and back into the finals in the next 1-2 years.

Mate, I appreciate it.

I was truly interested, because for me, I genuinely see dark, dark days ahead.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are an absolute mental midget and your every post confirms it.

in the space of 38 games we have gone from a grand final to dead last and you and Gronk are the only “fans” who think that is acceptable.
Fancy thinking 16 from 38 (42%) is acceptable! Is it the fact that it’s followed a grand final that makes it unacceptable to you? Would you perhaps prefer a 42% win rate of the back of a wooden spoon? Our current low point is due to the cap biting us after the relative success of 2019-2022. The grand final is the reason for our 42% win rate ever since. We’ve dropped off after every grand final appearance since 1986 ffs. Learn your history.
But the dirty little secret is that you actually crave parramatta failures as it is your only reason to keep going each day - so that you can have masturbatory arguments for hours in an attempt to feel smart or superior in some way to alleviate the misery of what must be your actual life.
Sounds like projection to me mate

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How recent?
Since the board took over in 2019.
Not even making the 8, the year after making a Grand Final?
See above. We overachieved to make that grand final and then the salary cap hit us. I actually think we had a better team in 2021. We certainly went better against Penrith in the finals. We’ve declined since then and should now be at the bottom.
Or most probably winning yet another Wooden Spoon?
I’ll bet you $100 we don’t win the spoon this year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You have just encapsulated everything that is wrong with our club with that one statement. 57% should be happy with that.
any organisation, corporate or sport, that has a winning culture with accountability would never, ever, be happy with that.
lol yeah every club should be winning more than 57% ffs

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The ultimate goal is premierships. Not a decent win percentage.
Premierships and high win rate are both a product of being competitive. Win rate is granular so a better way to measure a team than premierships, especially over a very short time frame like six years.

Otherwise why are merkins pissing and moaning over missing the finals? We are no worse than the other 15 teams that don’t win the comp ffs

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's interesting that only 6 of 16 teams in the NRL have more than a 57% win-rate over the last 5 years (2019-2024).

Panthers 82%
Storm 74%
Roosters 62%
Rabbitohs 59%
Sharks 58%
Eels 58%
Raiders 53%
Broncos 48%
Cowboys 48%
Manly 47%
Knights 46%
Warriors 41%
Dragons 36%
Titans 35%
Bulldogs 25%
Tigers 25%
Lines up with our position on the revenue ladder merkins were circle jerking over

Latest posts