What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hi

Have been reading site for a long time. First post.

I remember the game Gleneel recalls. The first and only game I sat on the Pool side of the ground.
Dick kicked the Penalty field goal from that side of the ground.
The game was a trial so maybe that's why there's no records.
merkin

Glenneel

Bench
We have 5 spots left we're able to fill, 2 NRL and 3 development. I assume most will go to juniors so who'll you expect to get prompted. I believe both Dresler and Fainga'a are now ineligible for Flegg because of age so will both, none or one get a call up?

84 Baby

Referee
We have 5 spots left we're able to fill, 2 NRL and 3 development. I assume most will go to juniors so who'll you expect to get prompted. I believe both Dresler and Fainga'a are now ineligible for Flegg because of age so will both, none or one get a call up?
By the looks of photos I’d guess Fun Guy is already contracted to some degree

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

We can promote the development players to top 30. I assume that's what we're going to do with Mahoney, from memory 29 have to be announced before round 1.

The final spot before June 30.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Now that up to 6 development players can be nominated and are available for NRL without seeking permission, does that mean we can have a top 36 we can choose from at any stage of the season? Or has this old duffer got it wrong?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Now that up to 6 development players can be nominated and are available for NRL without seeking permission, does that mean we can have a top 36 we can choose from at any stage of the season? Or has this old duffer got it wrong?
I don’t think the development players can be selected without NRL permission. They can only be promoted into the top 30 if there is roster spot available.

It’s all pretty confusing

Gazzamatta

Coach
I don’t think the development players can be selected without NRL permission. They can only be promoted into the top 30 if there is roster spot available.

It’s all pretty confusing
I read that this has been changed. Cant remember where though. Anybody else know for sure?

My thoughts are this - Unfortunately Dressler cant be and wont be given a development contract as his knee requires surgery, I believe he did his Acl again or it didnt repair properly. I think thats 4Acl's now so the future is not look good.

Personally i think Mahoney might get elevated to top 30 as we have no money to purchase another 2 quality players to fill those spots. Possibly Brown or Stefano will be the other promoted.

As for the development spots they will have to go to players who can and are ready or there abouts ready to play Nrl if need be. If we pick up some injuries it would be pointless putting a player on a development contract if he isn't ready to play if called upon.

Development players can only play if the club seeks dispensation due to injuries prior to the ( i think ) June deadline. After that time (June) a development player can be used at any time at the clubs convenience without seeking permission or dispensation.

parra pete

Referee
Keith Barnes retired at the end of 1968.. He kicked 6 goals from 8 AT SCG....in Tigers 12/8 win over Parra
Dick joined in 1963...I cannot recall him ever being captain..If Ken was out, leadership was shared by Ron Lynch or Brian Hambly...
Love this kind of banter..thanks for raising it Glenn..you make an old bloke happy exercising his brain..
I might be wrong..MIGHT..(be the first time ever if I am....:cool::cool:).. I have a newspaper report of the win by Tigers at SCG when Golden Boots landed the six goals...Not very good copy and very fragile..but I will find it and post it on here)

NOTE Ron Lynch Captain..match played at SCG..Keith Barnes kicked 6 goals for Tigers 12 points Brian Hambly goal kicker for Parra, landed one from four

hOO.jpg

Happy MEel

First Grade
For anyone that cares, Parra are currently playing the Broncos in the legends of league game. Live stream on the nrl Facebook page.

eels_fan

First Grade
That's a snippet that TCT posted on twitter which came from a Bulldogs' release. There's been nothing else from anywhere to suggest that this is happening.

Was confirmed the other day from somewhere NRL related. Can’t find it now.

Development players work need any dispensation to play first grade after June 30

Parra_Eel

Juniors
Have a story about Dick Thornett who was the captain. We were playing Tigers at Cumberland Oval and we had scored three tries to nil (worth 3 points then) and was awarded a penalty. The black winger (who we bought to kick goals but had yet to be successful with about 5 kicks for goal) walked over to place the ball. Thornett went over and angrily snatched the ball off him and 40 metres out and about 15 metres in drop kicked the goal and the fans went mad. Needless to say we were beaten 12-11 as Keith Barnes kicked 6 goals that day. Such is the history of Parra in the 60s.
1st time on. long time reader. i think dick thornett kicked a penalty field goal in 1967 or 68 in a trial game against canterbury bankstown in the last few minutes of the game 40 yards out 15 in from touch we won by about 30 to 40 points at Cumberland Oval

Latest posts