What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't really buy that as applicable here, however assuming for a moment that is correct, "offer as much" isn't about attack alone.

If all we needed to do was replace him with someone who was equally effective in attack, I don't believe we'd have all that much trouble TBH.
Sure we might get a lesser defensive fullback but the point of replacing a player with a lesser-but-good-enough option is that the (assumed) savings are spent strengthening somewhere else. I think we could definitely spend money improving our middle defence, especially if RCG leaves.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Sure we might get a lesser defensive fullback but the point of replacing a player with a lesser-but-good-enough option is that the (assumed) savings are spent strengthening somewhere else. I think we could definitely spend money improving our middle defence, especially if RCG leaves.

Swings and roundabouts, that's about where you might want to spend your cap, not about replacing Gutho for same similar. If the club deems they need to spend money strengthening one position, it comes from another, we all understand that.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The exciting thing is if we lose all our players think of all the cap space that we’ll have!!!!!

When you’ve been successful as we’ve been over the last 3 years you have to expect the vultures to pick your side clean. Oh well.

Bandwagon

Staff member
The exciting thing is if we lose all our players think of all the cap space that we’ll have!!!!!

When you’ve been successful as we’ve been over the last 3 years you have to expect the vultures to pick your side clean. Oh well.

Of course they will.

Apparently we've lost Rheed, RCG, and Niukore already, we're so incompetent, it's not even November 1st yet.

FFS.

Ever since the little Mad merkin made his debut in 2018 he’s been a fav of mine. Gutted doesn’t even close if he decides to move on. He’s irreplaceable IMO unlike the rest of the off contract players we have.
Rheed’s been my favourite Eel since he tried to go RCG at Penrith a few years ago. He’s got heart to go with his obvious skill (just look what it meant to him after the 2nd injury this year). I mean ffs after getting Sham Smith sent for 10 there should be a statue of the lil bugger at Parra Stadium!!

Incorrect

Coach
Ever since the little Mad merkin made his debut in 2018 he’s been a fav of mine. Gutted doesn’t even close if he decides to move on. He’s irreplaceable IMO unlike the rest of the off contract players we have.
Think I may have mentioned this before, but a mate of mine's son was diagnosed with leukaemia and went through all sorts of terrible stuff over the course of the last 3 or 4 years. As part of some Parra initiative, Reed got to know him and visited him in hospital etc. Woulda been before he played NRL. And Reed has been in constant contact since while the young fella has been in remission.

Top player, better bloke....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Think I may have mentioned this before, but a mate of mine's son was diagnosed with leukaemia and went through all sorts of terrible stuff over the course of the last 3 or 4 years. As part of some Parra initiative, Reed got to know him and visited him in hospital etc. Woulda been before he played NRL. And Reed has been in constant contact since while the young fella has been in remission.

Top player, better bloke....
The sort of bloke you could build a club around. Give him to the captaincy FFS!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Swings and roundabouts, that's about where you might want to spend your cap, not about replacing Gutho for same similar. If the club deems they need to spend money strengthening one position, it comes from another, we all understand that.
I wonder how many understand that this feeds into an overall calculation that any player who leaves (and thus frees up cap space) allows us to improve other areas of the squad.

The Eel

Juniors
I wonder how many understand that this feeds into an overall calculation that any player who leaves (and thus frees up cap space) allows us to improve other areas of the squad.
But will they? We can't seem to buy a marquee player to save their lives. Letting go of Reed, if it happens is madness. The best hooker we hsve had in a long while, and they let him walk

hindy111

Post Whore
I'd say that Mahoney is more important to retain for the simple reason that we do not have a replacement of quality should he leave.

If we can't keep Gutherson, we can slot in Russell (though he is untried).

But a good fullback is hard to come by, and Gutherson is very, very good - despite his limitations.

How many good hookers in comp? How many good fullbacks? I reckon the worse fullbacks are still pretty high quality. Hookers is a different story. After the top 5 the drop off is huge

Bandwagon

Staff member
If Rheed does re-sign, what will the new rhetoric be regarding BA? I’d like to get in on ground floor

We don't need any thing new. Someone else will leave if we have to pay more to keep Rheed, so whoever leaves after keeping Rheed will be because "the players wanna play for BA"

hindy111

Post Whore
Also if Mahoney keeps going on the trajectory that he has been going in and improving still, he will probably go down as the best dummy half we have ever had, that's if we can keep him during his best years.

It has taken us literally decades to develop a quality hooker that if he stays fit will be in the top 3 hookers every year over the next 5 years or so. That is how rare Mahoney is to our club.

The problem is when we extended him prior to this year he looked more like a solid no frills hooker. His game went to another level. Had we thrown him 550k and he stayed at 2020 level he is on way overs. It is risky. He has come good and will get that now. I reckon he didn't want a long contract knowing he could get more and why he negotiated only 2yrs at the time. I dare say the Eels offered 3yrs but wasn't interested. Yes they should of attempted to extend come rnd 13 this season before signing N.Brown back up.