What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lucablight

First Grade
No team that ever won a premiership was a 100% chance of winning. You build until you're at your best and then hope for some luck. Whether you jag a comp that year comes down to injuries (including the opposition) and bounce of the ball on the day. Some teams win more premierships than others because at their best they are a higher chance of winning. The Storm might be a 50% premiership chance in their best years. They might still be a 10% chance in their worst years. That's because they have so many resources at their disposal. A Sydney club not based in the inner city might only be a 20% chance of winning at their best and 0% in a rebuilding year. The idea of building to a guaranteed premiership is a falsehood. It's just sliding percentages year after year. You only see premierships (and non-premierships) as inevitable because your human brain wants to see everything as a story, with obvious cause and effect. Try listening to your lizard brain instead. A bunch of things could happen and in the end only one will, based on probability and random chance.
I’m not saying there’s any guarantee of a premiership. I’m saying that until we achieve some degree of success (i.e making or winning a grand final) we should be continually building not getting worse. Is the salary designed to make week 2 finals teams that aren’t getting any further each year to regress?

King-Gutho94

Coach
At least penrith will still be chipping in 250k at least for 3 of those years. We may front end his contract with that being the case

84 Baby

Referee
Yep. Amazing how people were saying he’s replaceable and wouldn’t be worth the $$. Now they’ll be claiming it’s a master stroke. I see no reason why he can’t maintain the form he’s in for another 3 or so years. He’s hardly old
But that wasn’t wasn’t hiney’s point? The point was we wouldn’t be able to replace RCG AT $500k. I hope we have resigned him for $500k. That’d be brilliant

lucablight

First Grade
Having other clubs subsidise your players is only one way of getting more value out of them than their cost under the salary cap. Other ways are just signing them cheaper in the first place, like we did with Papali'i, Niukore and Mahoney. Or like the Roosters did with every player enticed by investment and post-footy career opportunities. The Panthers have done it too, by spending big on junior recruitment/retention. This gives them cap advantages with the handful of players that end up in the top 30. It's not just about finding a player some other club is happy to subsidise. I doubt the Warriors were subsidising Papali'i this year. Nobody will be subsidising Penisini next year if we get $500k worth of footy out of him.
Agreed. That doesn’t change the fact that we had a salary cap advantage over Penrith by virtue of them paying for some of our players though. The other cap advantages you mentioned come from within and not other clubs.

King-Gutho94

Coach
At least penrith will still be chipping in 250k at least for 3 of those years. We may front end his contract with that being the case

King-Gutho94

Coach
I love the ennis news i reckon he is the best analyst on Fox tbh. No BS about him either. He loves mahoney and gives us a presence in the media as well. I noticed how Ennis always stood up for canberra when he was there as a consultant. Plus he is a winner

So that means he played for 5 clubs as a player and has helped another 2 post his career with coaching. Nearly represented half the comp

Latest posts