What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
Yes very un-captain like. Time for the club to put a time for him to accept offer or pull it. Only supposition but obviously his agent has given him a figure which he has in his head which is less than club has offered which is stalling negotiations. His manager is asking him to wait for a bigger figure to come otherwise he looks like a goose because he can't get the offer he told Gutho he could get. I don't believe MON will be the one blinking first in this standoff.

If Gutho remains unsigned for '23 time for the club to talk to Raiders to get Xavier Savage for that year. I'm sure he doesn't want to play second fiddle to clock stand for the next few years.

Once Savage proves(if) he can handle the week to week bash and barge of the NRL then he will be way to dynamic and lethal ball runner to keep on the wing. I predict that he will be the starting fullback within the 2022 season and that the Raiders will opt to move Nicoll-klokstad to the centres where they have deficiencies and need to strengthen.

If my expectations of him are right he will be way to hard and expensive to prise from the Raiders then. We needed or need to get him now, before the kid becomes the next Pap and he attracts all the headlines and hype that will follow him.

If we were to give Gutho a deadline of say 2 weeks from now and he let it laps, I would pull it and then go talk to Savage and offer him $600K to move immediately and offer Matterson up as a peace offering and an exchange to the Raiders to help it happen.

And before you say it Pou, yes I know we can't force a player to go somewhere that they don't want to go. But we can make it more lucrative for him to go to the Raiders and add an extra $100K to his pocket if he is willing to make the move for example and we would still be better off salary cap wise then if we re-signed Gutho. The point is there are many ways to move players on or make players move early from their current clubs. We just need to be proactive and have a little imagination.

But then again we have Russell and that may mean we lose him. He seems a real talent, but Savage looks to have that something special and will be an X factor player and could lay claim to being the fastest player in the NRL, even faster then Saab, but way more skillful.

None of this will happen of course, since we have Russell already on our books. So I'm sure that our club sees him as Gutho's successor already and if for whatever reason Gutho were to leave he would be given the opportunity to prove himself and make that position his own. Which makes sense too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What, so its OK ?

Player managers need to have their accreditation yanked if they are found not to be acting in the best interests of their client and being found to have had a conflict of interest which proves to be detrimental.

Without accountability, how do we expect change ?
What if they have two clients, and getting the best deal for both in aggregate means getting less than the best for one of them?

TheRam

Coach
What, so its OK ?

Player managers need to have their accreditation yanked if they are found not to be acting in the best interests of their client and being found to have had a conflict of interest which proves to be detrimental.

Without accountability, how do we expect change ?

Agreed. I was just backing up what you said mate. In the example you gave, the player in question, if he made a official complaint and it could be proven, the player manager should lose his accreditation for a minimum 5 years at least. I actually favour life.

Once a seedy business manager, usually always a seedy business manager. It is just that he and others don't get caught and thumb their nose at the NRL and the players that they are supposed to be representing. Also they can't have any association with any sports management company that represents any NRL players. Total ostracisation. Who cares if they aren't ever part of our game again. If it is found out that he is still somehow part of a sports management company and giving direction and advices behind the scene and proven, then that company losses its accreditation completely too and the heads of it all are band for life. The players too will feel much more confident that the guy that they have employed to do right by him is actually do just that.

To harsh? Ballsh*t! The message needs to be strong and precise. Therefore the penalty needs to be so server that it would make all of them stand up and take notice. The problem with many things including our game, everyone feels that even if they do the wrong thing and get caught, big whoop, they will wear whatever slap on the hand penalty if any and just continue on as if nothing happened. Real penalties, especially for a part of the game that can only benefit from them and has no adverse affect on the game itself, will make a significant positive difference.

Avenger

Immortal
Normally the club captain leads by example, definitely not the case with Gutho, very disappointing.
Couldn’t agree more. I remember back in 1982 when Ray Price threatened Sterling, Kenny, Grothe and Ella when they all received massive deals from Manly. Price signed first and he said if they didn’t he would smash them if they ever opposed him.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hard to believe this deadbeat even has enough suitors interested to enable him to even have a "preferred" club....
He can play footy. Premiership winning centre before the age of 20 is a sign of talent. Maybe by 24 he's starting to mature. There's plenty of shit blokes playing in the NRL. It's just that most of them have the maturity and self control to hide it.

Couldn’t agree more. I remember back in 1982 when Ray Price threatened Sterling, Kenny, Grothe and Ella when they all received massive deals from Manly. Price signed first and he said if they didn’t he would smash them if they ever opposed him.

I reckon it was a little later than 82, but Yeh, we kept em, but we had to let Sterling and Kenny ( and 6 others) go and play in England for several weeks of the 1985 NSWRL season. And IIRC, the club put together something like the 'Keep the Eels at Parra Fund' asking supporters to chip in.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I reckon it was a little later than 82, but Yeh, we kept em, but we had to let Sterling and Kenny ( and 6 others) go and play in England for several weeks of the 1985 NSWRL season. And IIRC, the club put together something like the 'Keep the Eels at Parra Fund' asking supporters to chip in.
Still have my certificate. A valuable heirloom.