What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Johnny88

Juniors
Parramatta is playing another dangerous game of contract poker over the stalled negotiations with captain Clint Gutherson.
It can be revealed that Gutherson has now received what is said to be genuine interest from multiple rival NRL clubs, as the Parramatta Eels baulk at offering their inspirational skipper a new three-year deal.
While Gutherson’s longtime agent Sam Ayoub would not speculate what clubs he had spoken with directly about potentially signing the off-contract 27-year-old, it is understood as many as three rival clubs have already expressed interest.
Watch Tim Tszyu vs Takeshi Inoue LIVE on Main Event available on Kayo and Foxtel, Wednesday 17th November from 7pm AEDT. ORDER NOW >
“You would be insane to assume otherwise,” Ayoub said when questioned about outside interest.
Ayoub also revealed that he was in no rush to finalise deals for any of his three off contract Parramatta stars, also including in demand prop Junior Paulo and hooker Reed Mahoney.
5bcdf88b8b9ed8d1301b80b7d02e6f2745ffee51.webp

Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson is attracting interest from rival clubs. Picture: NRL Images
Mahoney was videoed last week having dinner with Canterbury powerbroker Phil Gould and coach Trent Barrett, while Paulo is one of the game’s elite props who also won’t be short of offers.
Ayoub was clear that he was not trying to put any threats to the club about Gutherson either.
But he was not about to sit back and let it be assumed that other clubs were not just as interested in the highly respected fullback.
The Eels genuinely want to keep all three players and have tabled offers, but they are still a considerable way off coming to agreements over the terms of any of those deals.
In Gutherson’s case the sticking point is the length of the offer.
It’s understood the Eels have offered Gutherson a two-year extension worth around $1.5m, but Ayoub is pressing for a three-year term beyond Gutherson’s current deal which expires at the end of next season.
fe2cfabe554b6e697a25244ff1a27ef6c0b81ea1.jpg

Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson is attracting interest from rival clubs. Picture: NRL Imagery
That would take Gutherson to the age of 31 when he next comes off contract at the end of 2025.
This is also the contract period when most elite players are rated in their prime footballing years, and so usually get rewarded with career-best deals.
The club last week attempted to get the process moving forward by placing a deadline of last Friday on all three of Ayoub’s clients.
But officials were then forced to back away from that ultimatum when Ayoub called their bluff and held his ground.
Asked if he wanted negotiations finalised before the players return for pre-season training at the end of the month, Ayoub said: “None of them are anxious to get anything sorted. They really aren’t. There is no pressure.”
He also denied he was upset that negotiations over Gutherson’s future appear to have dragged on, or that the two-year offer was disrespectful.
“No, I’m not upset,” Ayoub added.
“It is a process. I am not upset about anything. There is no rush.”
The Eels have been reluctant to enter into any public debate given the way negotiations with Gutherson went pear-shaped the last time, when he was initially lowballed with an embarrassing first-up offer.
But the fact that they again are seen to be treating their captain with a perceived lack of respect over the length of the deal suggests this could very easily get ugly if it is not sorted out sooner rather than later.
The Eels have already lost Marata Niukore who signed a lucrative deal with the Warriors last week, and they are also yet to finalise the future of several other players including Isaiah Papali’i, who is also in huge demand.

Parramatta is playing another dangerous game of contract poker over the stalled negotiations with captain Clint Gutherson.
It can be revealed that Gutherson has now received what is said to be genuine interest from multiple rival NRL clubs, as the Parramatta Eels baulk at offering their inspirational skipper a new three-year deal.

While Gutherson’s longtime agent Sam Ayoub would not speculate what clubs he had spoken with directly about potentially signing the off-contract 27-year-old, it is understood as many as three rival clubs have already expressed interest.
Watch Tim Tszyu vs Takeshi Inoue LIVE on Main Event available on Kayo and Foxtel, Wednesday 17th November from 7pm AEDT. ORDER NOW >

“You would be insane to assume otherwise,” Ayoub said when questioned about outside interest.
Ayoub also revealed that he was in no rush to finalise deals for any of his three off contract Parramatta stars, also including in demand prop Junior Paulo and hooker Reed Mahoney.
5bcdf88b8b9ed8d1301b80b7d02e6f2745ffee51.webp

Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson is attracting interest from rival clubs. Picture: NRL Images

Mahoney was videoed last week having dinner with Canterbury powerbroker Phil Gould and coach Trent Barrett, while Paulo is one of the game’s elite props who also won’t be short of offers.
Ayoub was clear that he was not trying to put any threats to the club about Gutherson either.
But he was not about to sit back and let it be assumed that other clubs were not just as interested in the highly respected fullback.
The Eels genuinely want to keep all three players and have tabled offers, but they are still a considerable way off coming to agreements over the terms of any of those deals.
In Gutherson’s case the sticking point is the length of the offer.
It’s understood the Eels have offered Gutherson a two-year extension worth around $1.5m, but Ayoub is pressing for a three-year term beyond Gutherson’s current deal which expires at the end of next season.
fe2cfabe554b6e697a25244ff1a27ef6c0b81ea1.jpg

Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson is attracting interest from rival clubs. Picture: NRL Imagery

That would take Gutherson to the age of 31 when he next comes off contract at the end of 2025.
This is also the contract period when most elite players are rated in their prime footballing years, and so usually get rewarded with career-best deals.
The club last week attempted to get the process moving forward by placing a deadline of last Friday on all three of Ayoub’s clients.
But officials were then forced to back away from that ultimatum when Ayoub called their bluff and held his ground.
Asked if he wanted negotiations finalised before the players return for pre-season training at the end of the month, Ayoub said: “None of them are anxious to get anything sorted. They really aren’t. There is no pressure.”
He also denied he was upset that negotiations over Gutherson’s future appear to have dragged on, or that the two-year offer was disrespectful.
“No, I’m not upset,” Ayoub added.
“It is a process. I am not upset about anything. There is no rush.”
The Eels have been reluctant to enter into any public debate given the way negotiations with Gutherson went pear-shaped the last time, when he was initially lowballed with an embarrassing first-up offer.
But the fact that they again are seen to be treating their captain with a perceived lack of respect over the length of the deal suggests this could very easily get ugly if it is not sorted out sooner rather than later.
The Eels have already lost Marata Niukore who signed a lucrative deal with the Warriors last week, and they are also yet to finalise the future of several other players including Isaiah Papali’i, who is also in huge demand.
Gutho is overrated. Glad the club know his value as well. We need a X factor at the back. 2 year deal is good till we find that player. He will never win us a premiership.

hindy111

Post Whore
Gutho is overrated. Glad the club know his value as well. We need a X factor at the back. 2 year deal is good till we find that player. He will never win us a premiership.

2yr is better for Gutherson as he will be able to get another deal with multiple year. He is 27 so would be 30.
Clubs would be more interested in offering a 30yld multiple years then a 31yrd old.

hindy111

Post Whore

His attack is over rated. But I talked to dad about this. Amd where do we rate him in defense. In 2020 he was just average but 2021 I would say top 3 defensive fullbacks in game.
Also he brings energy and under the high ball is safe as houses.
He isn't explosive as Latrel,Ponga,Teddy,Papenhauzen or Turbo. Not even close but his defense and safety is as good or better then any of them.
Still a very good player tbh

the phantom menace

First Grade
Ayoub's a grub, playing it all out through the media instead of directly negotiating better terms for his players.

Starting to think we'd be better off without re-signing anyone he manages? Once training restarts, clubs could approach the players concerned directly, and offer to up the contract offer values by 5% if they get rid of Ayoub from the equation...

Incorrect

Coach
Ayoub is not worried but once again he's gone to the media.
I said it the other day. If there's other deals from other clubs on the table and they're better money and the duration they're after, then they are free to sign right now, they don't owe us anything and vice versa. f**k off and sign the deal if it exists. FFS, do it tomorrow and the whole circus can stop right now.

Get it done Sam and Clint and bring this nonsense to an end. Ball is in your court.

Who's blinking?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I said it the other day. If there's other deals from other clubs on the table and they're better money and the duration they're after, then they are free to sign right now, they don't owe us anything and vice versa. f**k off and sign the deal if it exists. FFS, do it tomorrow and the whole circus can stop right now.

Get it done Sam and Clint and bring this nonsense to an end. Ball is in your court.

Who's blinking?

I think the thing is that Ayoub's tactic of going to the media, and declaring that his clients have other interested suitors, has worked in the past.

But all of a sudden, we have a savvy GM of football in Mark O'Neill, who knows what a valuable organisation we are, and will not fall for Ayoub's tricks.

I'll bet Ayoub blinks way before O'Neil does, and I love that.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I think the thing is that Ayoub's tactic of going to the media, and declaring that his clients have other interested suitors, has worked in the past.

But all of a sudden, we have a savvy GM of football in Mark O'Neill, who knows what a valuable organisation we are, and will not fall for Ayoub's tricks.

I'll bet Ayoub blinks way before O'Neil does, and I love that.

The thing is Ayoub knows what's on the table, O'neill only knows what Parra has on the table.

And what's on the table will determine whether or not Ayoub needs to blink.