What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
The thing is Ayoub knows what's on the table, O'neill only knows what Parra has on the table.

And what's on the table will determine whether or not Ayoub needs to blink.

True.

But if the players want to stay (and why wouldn't they?), O'Neil can call Ayoub's bluff a little easier, by leveraging the fact they don't want to leave, with the fact we are entering our Premiership window.

I have no doubt that Clint Gutherson, Reed Mahoney, and Junior Paulo would all have no shortage of suitors on the market - the question is how many of the clubs which would be prepared to outbid us would be seen as genuine title contenders.

And I dare say the answer would be "not many".

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I could be wrong here but I also think the way this has been played out in the media probably means fans are more likely to side with the club (O'Neill) and blame the player, should they sign elsewhere. Cap management must be one hell of a job, but we seem to have a figure on what these guys are worth (at least to us) and aren't prepared to move too much on it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The thing is Ayoub knows what's on the table, O'neill only knows what Parra has on the table.

We only need to know what the player is worth to us. Ayoub doesn't know that. Our job is to make offers up to the player's value (assessed by us and not by other clubs), and continue negotiating with alternative options in case he leaves.

84 Baby

Referee
True.

But if the players want to stay (and why wouldn't they?), O'Neil can call Ayoub's bluff a little easier, by leveraging the fact they don't want to leave, with the fact we are entering our Premiership window.

I have no doubt that Clint Gutherson, Reed Mahoney, and Junior Paulo would all have no shortage of suitors on the market - the question is how many of the clubs which would be prepared to outbid us would be seen as genuine title contenders.

“If any”

hindy111

Post Whore
Kaufusi has never played in the finals, but not many 22 year old forwards would have. Plenty of them would never have played first grade.

Jnr and RCG im sure debut and never left nrl. But they come into weak sides also. I guess for Kafusi he is trying to force his way into one of the best forward packs in the NRL.
Much harder

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gronk knows.
Gronky is

Dave Chappelle GIF

Gronk

Staff member

True.

All MO can do is be agile and have contingencies. You need to set a limit and be prepared to walk away if the player wants overs. There will always be a bottom of the table club who are prepared to pay more than a top 4 club. It’s really up to the player if he wants to go to a club which may (potentially) kill his career. There are plenty who have signed with the tigers who regret doing so.

Bandwagon

Staff member
We only need to know what the player is worth to us. Ayoub doesn't know that. Our job is to make offers up to the player's value (assessed by us and not by other clubs), and continue negotiating with alternative options in case he leaves.

I think the other consideration beyond the value the club places on a player, is how far above that value you are prepared to go, and what trade offs are there, or what trade offs are the club prepared to concede or impose in doing so.

For example if we place a value on each of our squad members, and we re-sign some under that value, do we then become more flexible with another players value, or indeed visa versa. Consider that whilst the value we place on any given player is monetary, in reality it's more accurately expressed as a percentage of our available cap, because the cap dictates how much money there is to spend, and if there is more or less money in our cap, that dictates how much a percentage of our available cap is in monetary terms.

So value can become a moving feast.

TheRam

Coach
Gutho is overrated. Glad the club know his value as well. We need a X factor at the back. 2 year deal is good till we find that player. He will never win us a premiership.

That is an outlandish and ridiculous statement. Worse fullbacks have won premierships mate. Hell Penrith just did this last season.

The trick is to have a good enough overall team with power, speed and players that are extremely cohesive and effective in defense. We are/were lacking throughout the season in two of those areas. We are slowly adding a little extra speed(Penisini) and hopefully we are getting our defense sorted somewhat.

Defense is much more important then Guthos lack of explosiveness. I believe we need to be minimum in the top 3 defensive teams, if not number one, with our lack of X players or genuine speed demons out wide, to win it this coming season. Also Mahoney's running game is probably even more important then what Gutho lacks in explosive speed. I mean he does everything else so bloody well.

Bottom line is, Gutho is not our problem. He brings more then enough to the table in his overall game for us to win a premiership. When you boil it right down it is in three other areas that we could do with improvements. A more expansive attacking game, better defense and a little more speed are the areas that we should be focusing on. Mahoney's running game comes under the more expansive attacking game umbrella.

Tip of the week.

I would be sending all our outside backs and Dylbags to that speed coach so he can improve their initial take off acceleration. That is where most of our backs have been lacking over the last couple of seasons. If we could get our wingers and Dylbags that extra half a metre to one metre quicker then they currently are at take off, it would make a massive difference to both our defense and attack overall. For example, it would turn many of those half chances that we currently miss into successful full chances that lead to points that we don't currently get.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
All MO can do is be agile and have contingencies. You need to set a limit and be prepared to walk away if the player wants overs. There will always be a bottom of the table club who are prepared to pay more than a top 4 club. It’s really up to the player if he wants to go to a club which may (potentially) kill his career. There are plenty who have signed with the tigers who regret doing so.
I reckon there's plenty who didn't regret it as well. Also would be more than a few who were broke by 40 and regretted not chasing the money.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That is an outlandish and ridiculous statement. Worse fullbacks have won premierships mate. Hell Penrith just did this last season.

The trick is to have a good enough overall team with power, speed and players that are extremely cohesive and effective in defense. We are/were lacking throughout the season in two of those areas. We are slowly adding a little extra speed(Penisini) and hopefully we are getting our defense sorted somewhat.

Defense is much more important then Guthos lack of explosiveness. I believe we need to be minimum in the top 3 defensive teams, if not number one, with our lack of X players or genuine speed demons out wide, to win it this coming season. Also Mahoney's running game is probably even more important then what Gutho lacks in explosive speed. I mean he does everything else so bloody well.

Bottom line is, Gutho is not our problem. He brings more then enough to the table in his overall game for us to win a premiership. When you boil it right down it is in three other areas that we could do with improvements. A more expansive attacking game, better defense and a little more speed are the areas that we should be focusing on. Mahoney's running game comes under the more expansive attacking game umbrella.

Tip of the week.

I would be sending all our outside backs and Dylbags to that speed coach so he can improve their initial take off acceleration. That is where most of our backs have been lacking over the last couple of seasons. If we could get our wingers and Dylbags that extra half a metre to one metre quicker then they currently are at take off, it would make a massive difference to both our defense and attack overall. For example, it would turn many of those half chances that we currently miss into successful full chances that lead to points that we don't currently get.
I don't reckon Penisini is that quick. It's the strength and footwork that make him special.

Latest posts