What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
More like the NRL knows they need to make Tigers and Dogs strong again. Tigers represent a large area and lots of kids. They don't want fans drifting to other sports. Parra and Penrith where both important to get strong also.
In rugby league towns where there is less threat sides are neglected. Think Canberra,Newcastle etc.
If you dont think there is favouritism based on this stuff from the guys running the game then your a peanut. I'm not suggesting it's rigged but I am suggesting all the favours have been given to certain clubs and us being one of them.
Canberra is a strange city that way, I suspect that rugby league has the least participants of all four of the football codes in the city, yet the Raiders have clearly the largest following of the three professional sporting teams (Raiders, Brumbies and GWS - who apparently half their membership base comes from the ACT). What makes it more interesting, is the Brumbies continue to be the most successful Super Rugby team in the country.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not exactly but you ain't getting brown and Moses for cheap. We should have the money to retain both these guys.
It’s not about not having the money. We only have half a team signed for 2024 so there’s plenty of money. The issue is getting value out of each signing which means not overpaying. If we pay too much to keep Moses and Drown the amount of 2024 cap space left over won’t be enough to put a competitive team around them.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Canberra is a strange city that way, I suspect that rugby league has the least participants of all four of the football codes in the city, yet the Raiders have clearly the largest following of the three professional sporting teams (Raiders, Brumbies and GWS - who apparently half their membership base comes from the ACT). What makes it more interesting, is the Brumbies continue to be the most successful Super Rugby team in the country.
Similar to us they had one golden era that would have attracted a lot of fans in the early 90s.

I would say a fair chunk of raiders fans are based in Sydney these days.

Incorrect

Coach
It’s not about not having the money. We only have half a team signed for 2024 so there’s plenty of money. The issue is getting value out of each signing which means not overpaying. If we pay too much to keep Moses and Drown the amount of 2024 cap space left over won’t be enough to put a competitive team around them.
You don't think Barlow, RCG, Gutho, lane and Matterson along with a blokes like Hoogood and Penisini aren't a competitive bunch to have around them?? All bar Penisini are signed up for a while as far as I know...

Pazza

First Grade

You got a way of explaining simple concepts.

Yes that is true, but low ball these guys and they walk. This team will plummet down the ladder and then you'll be signing everyone on overs like the Tigers. It is a balancing act but good quality halves in this comp demand high salaries, it's not going to be any different for us. Moses is prob 1.2mil and brown 950k. If that means the players around them might be not as good. So be it

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well if we can get them for $2m then it would be on budget. The upside for staying put is that they stay with an established contender and not have to put up with the dramas if going to a shit club. Munster chosing unders to stay with Storm and others of note rejecting Dolphins makes it pretty clear that it’s not all about the money.
Location also matters. The problem for Sydney clubs is that their players have plenty of clubs to choose from if they want to stay in Sydney.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You don't think Barlow, RCG, Gutho, lane and Matterson along with a blokes like Hoogood and Penisini aren't a competitive bunch to have around them?? All bar Penisini are signed up for a while as far as I know...
Well often your weakest player is as influential as your strongest.

Delboy

First Grade
When the NRL has not provided an actual salary cap for 2023 and 2024, it makes it difficult for new signings and likewise the marquee type players. Of course, Gus has a view and he will sign name players and worry about the back end of the roster and even cutting players later, that’s been his manner for a while.

The Dogs have been unable to register a number of players for 2023 as their cap needs more work to comply. Some media hacks suggesting they have a significant war chest is fanciful, not many clubs have more than half their roster locked in for 2024, so most clubs would be in a position to say they have a war chest in excess of $5 million. The media is as reluctant to question Gus as they are Uncle Nick it seems.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You got a way of explaining simple concepts.

Yes that is true, but low ball these guys and they walk. This team will plummet down the ladder and then you'll be signing everyone on overs like the Tigers. It is a balancing act but good quality halves in this comp demand high salaries, it's not going to be any different for us. Moses is prob 1.2mil and brown 950k. If that means the players around them might be not as good. So be it
For the players at the top of the food chain it’s not about whether they are low balled. These guys are the ones most likely to get paid overs. Every club wants at least one quality half, but once they have one there’s significantly less need for a second. This is how quality halves pairings get split up. A team with no quality halves is in a position to throw stupid money at anyone available. Meanwhile a team with two such players finds themselves in a position where they need to prioritise one of them or risk losing both. There’s a chance we need to pay overs to keep either of ours because rival offers will be so big. This will possibly stop us keeping both of them.

So I’ll be surprised if we keep both but also surprised if we lose them both.

Glenneel

Bench
Yeah that's a fair side. I suspect for Taupau to sign, we'd need Brown to find somewhere else.

It's strange that this kid isn't signed up somewhere.

I suspect there is a few players unannounced as there is some sort of wait on what the salary cap is going to be.
A few posters here have mentioned Taupau but imo he is past it. Maybe a reasonable bench player if signed for around $200k.

King-Gutho94

Coach
When the NRL has not provided an actual salary cap for 2023 and 2024, it makes it difficult for new signings and likewise the marquee type players. Of course, Gus has a view and he will sign name players and worry about the back end of the roster and even cutting players later, that’s been his manner for a while.

The Dogs have been unable to register a number of players for 2023 as their cap needs more work to comply. Some media hacks suggesting they have a significant war chest is fanciful, not many clubs have more than half their roster locked in for 2024, so most clubs would be in a position to say they have a war chest in excess of $5 million. The media is as reluctant to question Gus as they are Uncle Nick it seems.
Well channel 9 aren't going to question one of there employees.

The pissweak questions I have seen that rednut Weilder ask Gould over the years is embarrassing.

Danny is holding the mic and sucking Gus off at the same time.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I can't see the Dolphins offering Mitch the Munster money, different players.

I don't think Mitch has the X factor that the Munster does. I reckon they'd prefer a Queenslander, DCE maybe.

lucablight

First Grade
For the players at the top of the food chain it’s not about whether they are low balled. These guys are the ones most likely to get paid overs. Every club wants at least one quality half, but once they have one there’s significantly less need for a second. This is how quality halves pairings get split up. A team with no quality halves is in a position to throw stupid money at anyone available. Meanwhile a team with two such players finds themselves in a position where they need to prioritise one of them or risk losing both. There’s a chance we need to pay overs to keep either of ours because rival offers will be so big. This will possibly stop us keeping both of them.

So I’ll be surprised if we keep both but also surprised if we lose them both.
If we lose both then the powers at be aren’t good at their job. It’s their job to create an environment where players stay without you having to break the bank (eg Munster). Melbourne have managed to retain their entire spine so if we lose either Moses and Brown after losing Mahoney it will be a huge failure unless we have a better option lined up.

Latest posts