What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
This is where we all ponder for the next 24 hours if it's our club that he's coming to or not.

gaffer

Juniors
Mahoney is now a dog, literally.

We can bag the shit out of the cauliflowered eared midget all we want. He’s small, slow and selfish. Probably the best service in the NRL but he hasn’t improved his game at all.
cant wait for reg and bowlo coming off the fence at him

EppingEel

Juniors
First message here, how do you guys think our pack will line up next year, personally I think it will be:

8: RCG
9: Hodgeson
10. Paulo
11. Lane
12. Matterson/Murchie
13. Hopgood
14. Arthur
15. Matterson/Murchie
16. Rodwell
17. Makatoa

But that looks a bit week compared to the other top 4 packs. A good backup prop would go a long way

EppingEel

Juniors
First message here, how do you guys think our pack will line up next year, personally I think it will be:

10. Paulo
11. Lane
12. Matterson/Murchie
13. Hopgood
14. Arthur
15. Matterson/Murchie
16. Rodwell
17. Makatoa

But that looks a bit week compared to the other top 4 packs. A good backup prop would go a long way
hopefully arthur isnt on the bench next year though

Gronk

Staff member

10. Paulo
11. Lane
12. Matterson/Murchie
13. Hopgood
14. Arthur
15. Matterson/Murchie
16. Rodwell
17. Makatoa

Welcome @EppingEel 👍

I reckon you can put a line through Arthur. As I said in the juniors thread. Hodgo's versatility means he can play some half and Hands will prolly take that utility roll. He spent much of 2022 playing 9 and 13 in reggies. Hopefully he's ready.

yy_cheng

Coach
It's not great. You tend to have excuses for everyone.
Even if Mahoney makes tackles they are not dominant. He takes a while to bring a guy down and doesn't chop them down like an axe. Think Cook,Egan or Robson.

Mahoney is a bad player. Quite a good one but has weaknesses. So even if we where to say he is an average defender not below or above average you must look at his over all game.

Defense - Average
Work rate - Excellent
Game smarts - Good
Ball playing - Very good
Run game - Below average
Engaging markers -Below average
Kick game - Above average
Energy - Excellent
Pass service - Excellent
Craft/Suprise factor - Average

Compare it to Grant

Defense - Above average
Work rate - Average
Game smarts - Good
Ball playing - Excellent
Run game - Excellent
Engaging markers - Excellent
Kick game - Above average
Energy - Excellent
Pass service - Excellent
Craft/Suprise factor - Excellent

Happy to argue the above grades and points. This is just how I see him as a hooker. People carry on about his long pass game. But it's over rated. Balls in air for 2 seconds and in that time the opposition is in your face ready to smash your guy standing flat footed. You want a guy who engages the markers and then can fire a quick sharp short ball with little air time with your player running onto the ball. You limit the time the defense has to read the play and line you up and smack your lights out.
Can you do one for Hodgo please to compare.

SneakyEel

Juniors

10. Paulo
11. Lane
12. Matterson/Murchie
13. Hopgood
14. Arthur
15. Matterson/Murchie
16. Rodwell
17. Makatoa

Welcome @EppingEel ! I think our back will end up looking something like this:
8.RCG
9.Hodgson
10.Paulo
11.Lane
12.Murchie
13.Matterson
14.Rein
15.Hopgood
16.N.Brown
17.Ogden/Rodwell/Taupau

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He had a knack of looking like Cameron Smith whenever he played against us. It was bizarre, he’d be bog average all season, then against Parra he’d tear us to shreds.
Our defence is most vulnerable to nippy merkins through the middle. It’s why Souths carve us up. It’s also why so many Parra fans think dummy half running is the secret key to attacking well, because it works so well against us. But it does f**k all against the strong defensive teams.

hindy111

Post Whore
Can you do one for Hodgo please to compare.

Hodgson at his peak was playing as good as Cam Smith. Shame he was injured when Canberra had such a strong side as they may of won a title he was that important. Probably at one point in the top 5-10 players in the game.

Issue is age and injury concerns. I mean if he turned back the clock he is brilliant amd can Ne in the top 3 hookers going around. But footy players can age fast. 2yrs ago Tapau was almost the best prop in the game. Now wouldn't be top 20. So its a massive lottery.
I highly doubt we sign him had he been on the market currently. The last knee blow out would of halved his price imo.

hindy111

Post Whore
Welcome @EppingEel ! I think our back will end up looking something like this:
8.RCG
9.Hodgson
10.Paulo
11.Lane
12.Murchie
13.Matterson
14.Rein
15.Hopgood
16.N.Brown
17.Ogden/Rodwell/Taupau

That doesn't inspire me.
I genuinely hope Browns gone. And that Hands,Tevita and Matalele have huge off seasons or we sign a few promising kids.
Tapau might be ok for a year.
Rein,Brown are NSW cup now days. Plus with Hopgood and Matterson it means N.Browns completely redundant.

SneakyEel

Juniors
That doesn't inspire me.
I genuinely hope Browns gone. And that Hands,Tevita and Matalele have huge off seasons or we sign a few promising kids.
Tapau might be ok for a year.
Rein,Brown are NSW cup now days. Plus with Hopgood and Matterson it means N.Browns completely redundant.
Whose the Tevita bloke you have metioned? I have heard big raps on Matalele but he seems a bit young. Could be ok off the bench. I'm excited if Hands gets an extended run looks a decent player.