What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Anyone who looks at missed tackles as the sole indicator to cast judgement is a drip.

His tackle efficiency is 92.1 % which is not elite, but certainly not that bad.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Not sure of his stats but Josh Hodgson has never screamed defensive juggernaut to me.

I have massive concerns about his signing.... Either he or the team is going to have to completely change their style of play with him in the squad.

One thing that can't be argued is Reed's service from 9... he has as good a long pass as anyone in the game imo, that suits us with him ripping it out to Mitch and Dyl quickly on the edges when we are on the front foot.

Hodgson is definitely an 'eyes up' hooker and he is used to being the main playmaker for his team and a lot of the points coming off the back of him. I would say he is a lot more dangerous around the ruck and close to the line than Reed, but from what I saw from him last season I honestly thought he was a massive handbreak for the Raiders in attack. I'm actually not surprised they improved this year without him.

Obviously the speed of the game slowed down a touch this season with the relaxing of the 6 agains but generally speaking he is now 33 coming off the back of 2 knee Reco's in 3 seasons, it doesn't fill me with great confidence.

BA has made plenty of astute signings in his time and there is obviously something in Hodgson he likes and thinks it can improve us. He obviously brings a lot of experience and he will have a point to prove but jeez if it doesn't work I think we will be in deep Vindaloo.

As others have mentioned we definitely need to find an actual 14 who can play at least 20-30mins of hooker a week and cover other positions as well if required.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Hodgson is definitely an 'eyes up' hooker and he is used to being the main playmaker for his team and a lot of the points coming off the back of him. I would say he is a lot more dangerous around the ruck and close to the line than Reed, but from what I saw from him last season I honestly thought he was a massive handbreak for the Raiders in attack. I'm actually not surprised they improved this year without him.
Of late he was the sole playmaker at the Raiders. Everything was up to him. They haven't had a stable 1, 6 & 7 for years.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Anyone who looks at missed tackles as the sole indicator to cast judgement is a drip.

His tackle efficiency is 92.1 % which is not elite, but certainly not that bad.
It’s not just the missed tackles, he’s always a spot defender on our line due to his size. Which means others having to cover for him. He’s a great little player but he was a massive liability in defence throughout 22.

Delboy

First Grade
Yes. I mean he is a genuine NRL player. But for mine he sits between 5th-10th best hookers in the game based on soft defense and poor run game. Certainly worth 350- 400k. If paid 500k its a stretch. Just currently not many good option around.
I wouldn't mind Wade Egan. I think he does a good job.
Was offered $550+ by us, got offered top 3 hooker money by Gus on one of his seemingly big note raids. Great to have around for enthusiasm etc, but he got to a lot of tackles was consistently pushed back and allowed quick play the balls.

yy_cheng

Coach
Come to think of it, will hodgson be out backup half?

Rein plays 14 and if the halves goes down, hodgo to fit in there....

Naaah, it's ja's

Incorrect

Coach
Come to think of it, will hodgson be out backup half?

Rein plays 14 and if the halves goes down, hodgo to fit in there....

Naaah, it's ja's
It's a great point you make about Hodgson being able to step in to the halves. I daresay he'd probably be the 3rd best half at the club after Drown and Moses. Pity Hands and or Yates haven't been able to step it up. Hodgson would make a decent 14 given he can cover halves, hooker and also played as a middle forward for the Raiders on occasion.

Ironically it's his ability to play like a half that kind of caused him to overplay his hand in the last 18 months or so of his Raiders tenure...

Angry_eel

First Grade
Not sure of his stats but Josh Hodgson has never screamed defensive juggernaut to me.

I have massive concerns about his signing.... Either he or the team is going to have to completely change their style of play with him in the squad.

One thing that can't be argued is Reed's service from 9... he has as good a long pass as anyone in the game imo, that suits us with him ripping it out to Mitch and Dyl quickly on the edges when we are on the front foot.

Obviously the speed of the game slowed down a touch this season with the relaxing of the 6 agains but generally speaking he is now 33 coming off the back of 2 knee Reco's in 3 seasons, it doesn't fill me with great confidence.

BA has made plenty of astute signings in his time and there is obviously something in Hodgson he likes and thinks it can improve us. He obviously brings a lot of experience and he will have a point to prove but jeez if it doesn't work I think we will be in deep Vindaloo.

As others have mentioned we definitely need to find an actual 14 who can play at least 20-30mins of hooker a week and cover other positions as well if required.
There has to be something about him obviously. NRL clubs don't seem to find it too hard to say no to players. Maybe it's the leadership, who knows.

All of his videos on youtube are 3 years old so I am guessing he hasn't had a good season since the Raiders made the Grand Final.

Soto

Bench
Right, I have a left field option for a 14.
Someone with ticker, bit of grubiness, very versatile and could play a number positions in the fwds.
Would not cost a lot.
Don't even think he's off contract but would suit us..come on down Jazz Tevaga.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He missed 26 tackles in the finals series. All other games and
main hookers combined missed 34.... What does that tell you?
Some of our slugs left him isolated too often. I suspect he attempted more one-on-one tackles than any other hooker. One of the strengths of Penrith’s defence is that no merkin ever has to make a tackle by himself in the middle of the field.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Right, I have a left field option for a 14.
Someone with ticker, bit of grubiness, very versatile and could play a number positions in the fwds.
Would not cost a lot.
Don't even think he's off contract but would suit us..come on down Jazz Tevaga.
I don’t think he’d be cheap. With his level of involvement he could be on $400k or more at the Warriors.