What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lucablight

First Grade
Yeah all those Penrith kids they brought into their under 20s team: Edwards, Burton, Cleary, Yeo, Kikau, Martin and Fisher-Harris. Great local juniors from the Penrith area.
Cleary is a local junior. He played for Brothers Penrith. A lot of those kids also came from the Penrith academy they set up in country areas. I think any player who was developed by a club should be considered a junior. Not just if they lived in the local area. If Dylan Brown isn’t an Eels junior then what is he?

the phantom menace

First Grade
Didn't we bring Sterling down from Wagga to play with/at Patrician Brothers Fairfield? Clubs have been tying up school-age juniors from outside their area for decades - and you could argue from a certain age (15?) they essentially then "develop" locally within the club, rather than in their previous home region.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cleary is a local junior. He played for Brothers Penrith.
Because the club signed his dad to come and be their coach. If he’d signed elsewhere Nathan would’ve been a ‘local junior’ at some other club. The size of their junior catchment is irrelevant.
A lot of those kids also came from the Penrith academy they set up in country areas.
Yes, and so the size of their junior catchment is irrelevant.
I think any player who was developed by a club should be considered a junior. Not just if they lived in the local area. If Dylan Brown isn’t an Eels junior then what is he?
Well if we’re just talking about labels it’s irrelevant. But we’re not talking about who gets called a local junior and who doesn’t, we are discussing the benefit of the club’s junior area. Dylan Brown is the best one we’ve produced in years and he was poached from overseas, just like Nathan Cleary and James Fisher-Harris.

lucablight

First Grade
Because the club signed his dad to come and be their coach. If he’d signed elsewhere Nathan would’ve been a ‘local junior’ at some other club. The size of their junior catchment is irrelevant.

Yes, and so the size of their junior catchment is irrelevant.

Well if we’re just talking about labels it’s irrelevant. But we’re not talking about who gets called a local junior and who doesn’t, we are discussing the benefit of the club’s junior area. Dylan Brown is the best one we’ve produced in years and he was poached from overseas, just like Nathan Cleary and James Fisher-Harris.
Nathan’s Dad coming to Penrith doesn’t change the fact that he’s a Panthers junior. It’s pretty arbitrary to exclude him because he could have played elsewhere if his father was at another club.
You don’t think being in close proximity of such a large catchment area is some kind of advantage? It does seem rather coincidental that most of the players that try out for their rep teams are from the catchment area. I’d even argue that Bathurst and Dubbo should be considered Penrith catchment areas since they have such a significance presence there that they’d be more likely to recruit players from there than other clubs. It’s similar to how Melbourne have a presence setup in QLD which gives them a recruitment advantage over other clubs. Geographically speaking we have a presence in the Parramatta, Hills and Fairfield districts as well as parts of Blacktown. I’d say having first dibs in such a large area is a recruitment advantage compared to other clubs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nathan’s Dad coming to Penrith doesn’t change the fact that he’s a Panthers junior. It’s pretty arbitrary to exclude him because he could have played elsewhere if his father was at another club.
I'm excluding him because it's got nothing to do with their local catchment. They got the son of a former NRL player (and the nephew of another) in their junior program simply because they signed the former NRL player to be their coach.
You don’t think being in close proximity of such a large catchment area is some kind of advantage? It does seem rather coincidental that most of the players that try out for their rep teams are from the catchment area. I’d even argue that Bathurst and Dubbo should be considered Penrith catchment areas since they have such a significance presence there that they’d be more likely to recruit players from there than other clubs. It’s similar to how Melbourne have a presence setup in QLD which gives them a recruitment advantage over other clubs. Geographically speaking we have a presence in the Parramatta, Hills and Fairfield districts as well as parts of Blacktown. I’d say having first dibs in such a large area is a recruitment advantage compared to other clubs.
We don't have first dibs in those areas. The players are all free agents.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't we bring Sterling down from Wagga to play with/at Patrician Brothers Fairfield? Clubs have been tying up school-age juniors from outside their area for decades - and you could argue from a certain age (15?) they essentially then "develop" locally within the club, rather than in their previous home region.

I guess the technical term is locally developed rather than local juniors, Dylbags came across the ditch when he was 15

Glenneel

Bench
Manly also have a presence at Blacktown, our normal catchment area.

Latest posts