What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
After this year Moses' level of importance to the Parramatta side decreases.

The issue is with his new deal; financially he will be getting more (of our cap share) with a declining value as a contributor to the success of the team. This reduction in value will continue for the duration of his next contract.

Moses' kicking game accounts for a large chunk of his skillset that contributes positively to the team week in week out. As his kicking game decreases with age; the less positive impact he will have.

Do we really want to be investing more $$$ into a depreciating asset?
I would say his kicking will be one of the things that won’t decline, at least noticeably. I would expect him to decline in speed, strength and especially durability. His decision making should continue to improve as well.

Tiger5150

Bench
Moses will be on more money at 31 than what he was on at 28.

My point is that at 28 generally players are worth more than when they are 31.

It is backing my point that if you pay Moses more for his next contract you are probably paying more for a depreciating asset.

And my point is that the fact that he is better or worse than he was when he was at 28 is totally irrelevant. its a market. What players are available, now (or forseeably in the next 12 months) that can carry out the role that Moses plays to that level and how much will it cost to sign them? The market (supply and demand) determines how much he will be paid based on those opportunity costs and nothing to do with his form or salary in previous years.

IFR33K

Coach

It is backing my point that if you pay Moses more for his next contract you are probably paying more for a depreciating asset.

he’d be on more money but the cap is also going up. Nobody knows if there’s a decent 3rd party deal for him this contract. Barring injury, you’re talking as thou Moses will either be a liability or on one foot on the field. Moses is our most important player, if we’ve signed paulo, RCG and Gutho into their 30’s, can’t see us viewing Moses as a ‘depreciating asset’

Gazzamatta

Coach
After this year Moses' level of importance to the Parramatta side decreases.

The issue is with his new deal; financially he will be getting more (of our cap share) with a declining value as a contributor to the success of the team. This reduction in value will continue for the duration of his next contract.

Moses' kicking game accounts for a large chunk of his skillset that contributes positively to the team week in week out. As his kicking game decreases with age; the less positive impact he will have.

Do we really want to be investing more $$$ into a depreciating asset?
Given you are BAs Nana are you preparing us for your Greatgrandson's arrival in the 7 in 2024?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think there all pretty good these days the players. With sports science and recovery focus getting better by the year.

I don't see how Moses at 33, 34 won't be physically any different to what he is now. Unless he cops some serious injuries in that time. But still I don't think you can look at players at 30 and think there done anymore.

Yes it's a physically demanding sport but if you have the drive and work ethic you can play to mid to late 30s.
There’s no guarantees (which is why it’s risky to assume it in contract negotiations) but this (longevity) at least more achievable these days than it was even ten years ago.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I agree but at the same time there would be a ‘leadership tax’ that would be paid to certain older players. I was interested to see a recent list of NRL highest paid and Jesse Bromwich was in the top five. He’s obviously not worth it as a player but how valuable is he in driving the culture? People inside the game would have a good idea about this stuff, and they would know whether Mitch Moses deserves the same.

Latest posts