What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I didn't know the actaul rule. Watching live I didn't think it would be overturned. I just thought oh yeah he interfered. I didn't notice to many other forum members bring it up or complain either so assume they also missed it.
Yes it's sad people reffing the game don't know the actual rules.

So I apologise for not understand the rules and hence why I didn't think it would be overturned at the time.
I also wasn’t surprised it was confirmed a penalty, but that’s because I forgot the onus is now on the attacker to control the ball.

Gronk

Staff member
Was mowing the lawns and listening to 2MMM. Dave Fafita was a done deal to go back to Broncos. They are building nicely etc. cleared the decks and let Herbie and the other guy Flegler go (sp) during the week. derp.

Legal Eel

Juniors
I’m sure there’s better coaches than Arthur. I just don’t think it’s any of us. Arthur might’ve been keeping Makatoa to rest Hodgson or Hopgood, but was never required. We don’t know the plan just based on what we saw. If-then contingencies rely on the occurrence of the if-statement. If you had any experience with this sort of planning/strategy you’d know that you need to run a large number of tests before you can know if it’s effective or not. Arthur’s record over a large number of games tells me he probably knows exactly what he’s doing.
Where did I say that any of us are better coaches than Brad Arthur? Typical deflective argument.

By your logic the only people who can identify and critique Brad Arthur's coaching flaws are premiership winning coaches!

Make no mistake, management of his interchanges is one of Brad's flaws and it has been evident over a large number of games. I was listening to the Bloke podcast and those guys are all neutral and usually pretty measured (in fact, they err a bit on the fanboy side) and even they were absolutely baffled by Brad's use of the bench and also conceded it is something he has got wrong a lot in the past.

Most reasonable people can see that.

Brad is a decent coach and sems like a decent bloke, but he clearly has an issue around his use of interchanges.

Gronk

Staff member
Drobbo is the worst of the worst, he puts on this massive QLDer act but the flog is from Newcastle.
It doesn’t detract from the fact that they lost two of their best young players last week. If it wasn’t to pick up Fafita, why did it happen ? I mean we lost Papa and Reed, but our excuse was that we had 3, 6 & 7 to sign.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It doesn’t detract from the fact that they lost two of their best young players last week. If it wasn’t to pick up Fafita, why did it happen ? I mean we lost Papa and Reed, but our excuse was that we had 3, 6 & 7 to sign.
They didn’t want to lose either, it’s just projection from a fraud and co called journo.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Kevvie had his contract extended.

Haven't you heard half the squad think he can't coach 😀😀.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't listen to TripleM anymore on Sundays since he replaced Maroon.

He is just a dribbler.

Your right he puts on this QLD like act that he is a big show and know it all.
His best act is when he tries and tells everyone him and Wayne are besties lol.

He used to start every sentence with “ Me and Wayyyyyyyyne”. Lol massive tosser.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Looks like Gus got caught out when he suddenly "retired" Josh Jackson and gave him a job for 2023. The NRL included Josh Jackson in the 2023 salary cap.

Gordon Ramsay Food GIF by Masterchef

TheRam

Coach
Where did I say that any of us are better coaches than Brad Arthur? Typical deflective argument.

By your logic the only people who can identify and critique Brad Arthur's coaching flaws are premiership winning coaches!

Make no mistake, management of his interchanges is one of Brad's flaws and it has been evident over a large number of games. I was listening to the Bloke podcast and those guys are all neutral and usually pretty measured (in fact, they err a bit on the fanboy side) and even they were absolutely baffled by Brad's use of the bench and also conceded it is something he has got wrong a lot in the past.

Brad is a decent coach and sems like a decent bloke, but he clearly has an issue around his use of interchanges.
The reason he has issues with the bench is because he has no genuine props to replace the two starters with so he is at a loss as to how or when to replace them when the game is in the balance or proving to be slog affair. If he had another quality prop or especially another two, then he could rotate close to like for like or even start with the benchies first in some games and mix it up depending on the occasion. Which would in turn also lesson the burden on both RCG and Junior, keeping them reasonably fresh for the pointy end of the season and even potentially extend their careers. As it stands we are burning them out real quick.

Also as it stands, he is hedging and it doesn't always work out and one poor lonely banana ends up sitting all game. Not to state the bleeding obvious, but I will, the stronger your bench the more confidence you have in using it. He and I for that matter, doesn't have all that much confidence in the bench. It is pointless bringing on players that will not do as good a job as the guys you have already out there, even though the current 13 on the field are under fatigue.

Now why is our bench so weak? Well you would have to ask the coaching staff and the recruitment team why it has taken them so many seasons to fix the problem and still it hasn't been fixed. I for one believe that I could have addressed this seasons ago. It would have been my priority. There have been heaps of fringe props that we could have gotten here and used off the bench for 15-20 minute spells that wouldn't of broken the bank. In fact for me, the measure of how healthy your club is player talent wise starts with the big boppers up front. Sure spine players, especially halves are the key to ultimate success, but they are rare and only come around seldomly and you usually have to buy them. But props pop up everywhere and are vital to a teams go forward. Those spine players generally do jack without those boppers giving them the time and space up front. I would rather not have back rowers then props. Win the middle and you will generally win the game.

Why then has it been so hard for our retention and recruitment team to bring in a prop buddy or two to compliment and relive our two starters? We have been burning sunlight and it is getting close to dusk on them now. How much longer do we think that both RCG and Junior can maintain the sorts of outputs that they have so heroically be doing? A season or two maybe, then I expect sheer fatigue and exhaustion will start to set in on both of them. Look at JWH his output week in week out is nowhere near as good as it once used to be. But he had many different buddies along the way in his career to help and support him and the coach would always rotate him accordingly. We on the other hand are just sending our two out there and burning them to zero every game. Shows great regard for their well being and career longevity. Not.

hindy111

Post Whore
The reason he has issues with the bench is because he has no genuine props to replace the two starters with so he is at a loss as to how or when to replace them when the game is in the balance or proving to be slog affair. If he had another quality prop or especially another two, then he could rotate close to like for like or even start with the benchies first in some games and mix it up depending on the occasion. Which would in turn also lesson the burden on both RCG and Junior, keeping them reasonably fresh for the pointy end of the season and even potentially extend their careers. As it stands we are burning them out real quick.

Also as it stands, he is hedging and it doesn't always work out and one poor lonely banana ends up sitting all game. Not to state the bleeding obvious, but I will, the stronger your bench the more confidence you have in using it. He and I for that matter, doesn't have all that much confidence in the bench. It is pointless brin
Check inbox ging on players that will not do as good a job as the guys you have already out there, even though the current 13 on the field are under fatigue.

Now why is our bench so weak? Well you would have to ask the coaching staff and the recruitment team why it has taken them so many seasons to fix the problem and still it hasn't been fixed. I for one believe that I could have addressed this seasons ago. It would have been my priority. There have been heaps of fringe props that we could have gotten here and used off the bench for 15-20 minute spells that wouldn't of broken the bank. In fact for me, the measure of how healthy your club is player talent wise starts with the big boppers up front. Sure spine players, especially halves are the key to ultimate success, but they are rare and only come around seldomly and you usually have to buy them. But props pop up everywhere and are vital to a teams go forward. Those spine players generally do jack without those boppers giving them the time and space up front. I would rather not have back rowers then props. Win the middle and you will generally win the game.

Why then has it been so hard for our retention and recruitment team to bring in a prop buddy or two to compliment and relive our two starters? We have been burning sunlight and it is getting close to dusk on them now. How much longer do we think that both RCG and Junior can maintain the sorts of outputs that they have so heroically be doing? A season or two maybe, then I expect sheer fatigue and exhaustion will start to set in on both of them. Look at JWH his output week in week out is nowhere near as good as it once used to be. But he had many different buddies along the way in his career to help and support him and the coach would always rotate him accordingly. We on the other hand are just sending our two out there and burning them to zero every game. Shows great regard for their well being and career longevity. Not.

This is the best post I've read in atleast 6mth.

Check inbox Ram.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The only ‘issue’ is that it doesn’t fit the model of how most people think the bench should be used. But Arthur has most recently gotten a less than stellar squad into the grand final, and so deserves the benefit of the doubt. There’s absolutely no evidence that we would’ve beaten Melbourne (or Penrith in the grand final) if Paulo and RCG had played fewer minutes. Losing footy games is just what happens sometimes, even to the best coaches.

Gazzamatta

Coach
The only ‘issue’ is that it doesn’t fit the model of how most people think the bench should be used. But Arthur has most recently gotten a less than stellar squad into the grand final, and so deserves the benefit of the doubt. There’s absolutely no evidence that we would’ve beaten Melbourne (or Penrith in the grand final) if Paulo and RCG had played fewer minutes. Losing footy games is just what happens sometimes, even to the best coaches.
Not a fan of BAs bench usage. I reckon it tires the top guns unnecessarily and by not developing lesser players it creates a cycle that can never change except if high profile purchases are made which usually isnt possible. Does the continual ignoring of Greig, Rodwell, Ogden etc create motivation issues for same?
Yes he got us to a GF and definitely deserves support for same but I pose a question re the question you posed.
Were our forwards flat in the GF because they were over used? Or.
Were they flat as a result of the conditions V The Cows the previous week. Or.
Is it possible that both contributed?
Fingers crossed we manage to avoid injuries as we did in 2022.
Its just so f'n exciting.

Last edited:

eel01s

Bench
Recruitment is an issue though. Ogden was brought into the club, yet has never really pressed for nrl selection. He is top 30 like Rodwell , Maka and Greig. Boy that is slim pickings isn't it.

I like Rodwell but he has never really gotten a go. I think Greig is the only one who can provide an impact for us, but he has to make the most of his chances.

Latest posts