What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Zoso

Juniors
Bennett would because he’d demand all the misfits quit. He’d have more autonomy than what Brian Smith had.

The reason why we have so many chiefs and not enough Indians now is because we opted to keep BA and help him with failed former NRL coaches who are now his assistants and a HOF in charge of recruitment who is as effective as AstraZeneca with COVID.
I flip and flop on Bennett…I think you are right he’d command greater autonomy and wouldn’t tolerate plodders like MON but if he really have more than a coaching Midas touch, why did the Dragons, Newcastle, and Souths all crater after he left?

King-Gutho94

Coach
I see Manly have picked up Aaron Schoup effectively immediately.

So what are we doing with the 4 spots we still have up for grabs on our roster.

The outside back situation is a disgrace currently.

It's basically between Sivo and Morgan Harper atm on who to pick on the wing.

I agree sivo needs to dropped but what's the alternative right now.

Morgan Harper ain't a winger and lucky to be a first grader.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Dad reckons Penrith are no hope this year.
He thinks Sharks or Chooks
I give the Dolphins a sneaky hope.

Don't write off Clint Eastwood come the big games.

They have a hard nosed forward pack while old have one last tilt in them before retirement.

Bennett winning a comp with the ageing Dolphins pack would settle any stupid debate about the GOAT is.

And make even more fools of our board for not pursuing him.

With the roster we currently have.

hindy111

Post Whore
I give the Dolphins a sneaky hope.

Don't write off Clint Eastwood come the big games.

They have a hard nosed forward pack while old have one last tilt in them before retirement.

Bennett winning a comp with the ageing Dolphins pack would settle any stupid debate about the GOAT is.

And make even more fools of our board for not pursuing him.

With the roster we currently have.

I would give them a top 8 chance but I don't see much else.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Surely the issue is that somehow they did almost nothing in recruitment after making the GF in 2022, and losing at least 6 NRL players. The board have overseen the failure since then, and need to act now.
THEY “did almost nothing” BECAUSE THEY WERE OUT OF CAP SPACE FFS!!! How hard is that to understand? Building a premiership window requires having a significant portion of your squad on unders. If you can’t do that by offering TPAs, ‘investment opportunities’ or players willing to take less because they want to stay in Melbourne, you need to do it through contract timing. Timing contracts (generally back ending) means that there comes a point where many contracts suddenly mature and very few players are on unders any more. This forces merkins out of the squad. You’ll only replace them with other merkins either just as cheap but not on unders (e.g. Lussick) or just as good but also on unders (e.g. Hopgood, Russell). But getting merkins for less than they’re worth is no exact science. There is always an element of luck.

Delboy

First Grade
So whose responsible for the cap, give it a break, they have failed the fans and the club needs to act. Sure other clubs at have TPAs etc, but that’s why there were drastic changes made to the board and they hired Buckets. Defend all you like, they have F&$ked it up. Glacial responses from the board is not good enough . If you’re happy to accept mediocrity, so be it, this has been brewing for a while and not addressed.

JokerEel

Coach
THEY “did almost nothing” BECAUSE THEY WERE OUT OF CAP SPACE FFS!!! How hard is that to understand? Building a premiership window requires having a significant portion of your squad on unders. If you can’t do that by offering TPAs, ‘investment opportunities’ or players willing to take less because they want to stay in Melbourne, you need to do it through contract timing. Timing contracts (generally back ending) means that there comes a point where many contracts suddenly mature and very few players are on unders any more. This forces merkins out of the squad. You’ll only replace them with other merkins either just as cheap but not on unders (e.g. Lussick) or just as good but also on unders (e.g. Hopgood, Russell). But getting merkins for less than they’re worth is no exact science. There is always an element of luck.

They were out of cap space 😂

No they are incompetent at their job and didn't have a plan in place.

JokerEel

Coach