What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

GrayGirrafe1140

Juniors
I’ve been offline for a bit here but here’s my 2 cents. To me there’s only 4 options, Madge and Trent are no chance of the job.

Ryles is the glaring one as he’s been the next one up for a while and rejected a head coaching job when he didn’t think it would be successful. From all reports he’s very very keen, so it’s nice he has a lot of confidence in our position as a club.
Hannay for me is my favourite option from the assistant pool. Every coach he’s worked under has huge raps and he has genuine coaching experience in the Qcup and in two interm roles.
Cheika is very interesting. He’s supposed to be one of the best man managers in all of sports. Just look at the wallabies records with him compared to without, same as the Waratahs. He’s got a long history in league and an established relationship with our most important player. With the right coaching staff around him, whilst yes risky, could be the option with the highest potential. (Let me clarify that this is the biggest risk by a long long way)
For me the absolute best option is Brian McDermott. A coach with a huge amount of success as both a coach and player in the super league at two of the biggest clubs in England at the times of his tenures. There are huge raps from a lot of great minds in the game around this man. His background as champion prop, a boxer and an SAS soldier is super impressive.
let’s hope those in charge make the right decision whichever way they go.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I’ve been offline for a bit here but here’s my 2 cents. To me there’s only 4 options, Madge and Trent are no chance of the job.

Ryles is the glaring one as he’s been the next one up for a while and rejected a head coaching job when he didn’t think it would be successful. From all reports he’s very very keen, so it’s nice he has a lot of confidence in our position as a club.
Hannay for me is my favourite option from the assistant pool. Every coach he’s worked under has huge raps and he has genuine coaching experience in the Qcup and in two interm roles.
Cheika is very interesting. He’s supposed to be one of the best man managers in all of sports. Just look at the wallabies records with him compared to without, same as the Waratahs. He’s got a long history in league and an established relationship with our most important player. With the right coaching staff around him, whilst yes risky, could be the option with the highest potential. (Let me clarify that this is the biggest risk by a long long way)
For me the absolute best option is Brian McDermott. A coach with a huge amount of success as both a coach and player in the super league at two of the biggest clubs in England at the times of his tenures. There are huge raps from a lot of great minds in the game around this man. His background as champion prop, a boxer and an SAS soldier is super impressive.
let’s hope those in charge make the right decision whichever way they go.
I dont see the Cheika risk.
Weve had 11 seasons of ups and downs with limited confidence in our team to perform consistently. If status quo continued, BA would have been our coach for a further year anyway. Cheika on a two year contract with an option for a further year would be smart. If it dosent work out we could be no worse than we are now in 18 months time. If Moses wants him I say go for it and make sure he gets every bit of support he requires.
Exciting times.

Agree. To me the others - except maybe a Cheika experiement - are a bit underwhleming.

Gronk

Staff member
Weve had 11 seasons of ups and downs with limited confidence in our team to perform consistently. If status quo continued, BA would have been our coach for a further year anyway. Cheika on a two year contract with an option for a further year would be smart. If it dosent work out we could be no worse than we are now in 18 months time. If Moses wants him I say go for it and make sure he gets every bit of support he requires.
Exciting times.
He is a risk if he can't deliver.

If @Poupou Escobar said it's OK for a coach to be potentially shit because we've been shit in 2023/24, the masses would gang up on him even more.

The benchmark has been set. We wanted Wayne Bennett. Now we need to find an alternative in his calibre or as close as possible.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

If @Poupou Escobar said it's OK for a coach to be potentially shit because we've been shit in 2023/24, the masses would gang up on him even more.

The benchmark has been set. We wanted Wayne Bennett. Now we need to find an alternative in his calibre or as close as possible.
Yep, merkins whinging about Gould’s comments, but he had a point. Sacking Arthur was only going to improve things if we replaced him with someone better. The only someone better that was available was Bennett, and he chose the wealthier club. Now we’re going to get, at best, someone as good as the former coach. More likely is they’ll be worse.

But if the club continues to spend on pathways and the rest of the football program, we should continue to improve anyway. This is what Gould meant about more important areas that need fixing.

Zoso

Juniors
Exciting times.
It’s the difference in reaction between failing with known league types like Ryles and Hannay versus a left field, ex-union player and coach.
Putting aside ability, the risk ranking would go something like this (low to high):
1. Ryles and Hannay (known league types with good reps)
2. Madge (past winner but maybe squad-lucky at the time and look at him at the Tigers)
3. McDermott (might be good in super league but this is NRL)
4. Cheika (former union player etc)

I’m not saying they should approach it like this, just saying they wouldn’t be human if the risks and perceptions weren’t a big part of assessment.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Exciting times.

Or perhaps take the opportunity now to make a double strike.

Cheika for 2 years as a high risk high reward play to work with the squad and get the best out of them.

Add a Ryles or Hannay with the potential to take the reigns in 2 years. They would make amazing assistants, learn a lot themselves, and have the chance to be at least somewhat influential in squad construction

Best case scenario is we win the comp within 2 years, and keep Cheika for longer but lose the outstanding assistant. Oh well.

Gazzamatta

Coach

So who's your risk free choice Gronky?

Gazzamatta

Coach
It’s the difference in reaction between failing with known league types like Ryles and Hannay versus a left field, ex-union player and coach.
Putting aside ability, the risk ranking would go something like this (low to high):
1. Ryles and Hannay (known league types with good reps)
2. Madge (past winner but maybe squad-lucky at the time and look at him at the Tigers)
3. McDermott (might be good in super league but this is NRL)
4. Cheika (former union player etc)

I’m not saying they should approach it like this, just saying they wouldn’t be human if the risks and perceptions weren’t a big part of assessment.
Take your point but if a consideration of our selection process is worry about media backlash then the criteria and the ppl setting the criteria are a worry and we are on the road to nowhere.
Regardless its super exciting.