What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you agree with me that player options have an upfront benefit to us offset by a backended benefit to the player? That wasn’t what I said first though. My first point was having given the options out we should have contingency in place for when they come due for whether the player does or does not take up the option.
The contingency is the cap space they will no longer require and all the players available at the point of time it is decided.

Wally21

Bench
Avoiding the fact that "more professional" clubs do it, only weakens the blanket argument against options.

No too long ago merkins were crowing that Blaize "held us to ransom" because he had a PO. The reality is that he has been off contract since November and we have been trying to get his signature since the off season. So the fact that a player like that had an option (assume at a low ball price) became irrelevant.

Each November on the year before his contract expiry date, Dylan will become available for other clubs to snap up. So option or not nothing changes.
You really can grasp a staw can’t you

Gronk

Staff member
A club our size should never be in the race for a wooden spoon.
The fact we could have 2 in 7yrs is an utter disgrace. Especially with our spine.
I guess you can't help bad luck.

I'll let the adults explain it to me.
Why do you think the adults would disagree with you, young fella ?

jk13

First Grade
i know we don't win at the judiciary now, but if ryles gets in does that mean we get 8 weeks for everything?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because we were aiming for average - average is an improvement on where we are currently...
Our current results are well within the expected range of outcomes for even an above average club. Honestly, how many wins per year are we entitled to expect? And what is the min and max of the expected range?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
A club our size should never be in the race for a wooden spoon.
The fact we could have 2 in 7yrs is an utter disgrace. Especially with our spine.
I guess you can't help bad luck.

I'll let the adults explain it to me.
The Roosters won six games in 2016. The Broncos won three in 2020. Surely we’re not bigger than them.

84 Baby

Referee
Wouldn't the contingency be to offer them a revised contract prior to the option lapsing, and then go to market if they don't sign?

No different than going to market 1st November if they signed elsewhere.

I am just spitballing and could be way off track?
It certainly is, but that hasn’t seemed to be our tactic until forced to. Maybe I’m wrong and certainly part of it is players/agents holding up negotiations. But then also by having so many options out there, if that is the tactic, we’re greater exposed to having deal out revised contracts then what was banked on.
Part of me also thinks that having gone down this route, we’d be actually better off if we went all in on it and doled out options to everyone. If everyone is expecting a revised contract, then the threat of others jumping the queue may get them to get off their butts and negotiate earlier

84 Baby

Referee
The contingency is the cap space they will no longer require and all the players available at the point of time it is decided.
You know the likelihood that’ll be essentially dead cap space though. It’s great to have cap space to sign someone, but that doesn’t mean you have the space to sign anyone. If Moses decides to forgo his option, the likelihood of a like for like replacement is almost 0 in my opinion. Which will mean given his cap impact, a full revamp of where cap is spent. That’s contingency - knowing if player X leaves, what options do we have in changing the whole formula. That also requires or at least benefits for aligning other contracts for players/positions that are potentially affected by one players decision to leave

Eelementary

Post Whore
Our current results are well within the
expected range of outcomes for even an above average club. Honestly, how many wins per year are we entitled to expect? And what is the min and max of the expected range?

I expect 100% wins, tbh.

But in reality, I don't expect this roster to be playing so poorly. They're above average, and their results are garbage.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How many did the Roosters win in 2015 and 2017?
We are talking about 2016 though. Or are you saying results over two or three years is more relevant than single year results? I would agree.
We are a lot bigger than the Roosters they have no juniors.
Melbourne have no juniors either. It’s a non-factor, since clubs can buy all the juniors they can afford.

Latest posts