What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They may not have the potential of those guys but every squad needs depth. I believe it would've been better to have 19 year old Michael Gabrael debuting this week over a 25 year old Jake Tago, I reckon he has more potential than him.
For sure but they weren’t comparable when Tago was recruited. He was on a part time contract whereas Gabrael has been full time (development list) since he signed with the Dogs.
Stonestreet has played a single game because of the strong wingers he's behind.
If he was that good he’d be at another club playing first grade. Our players aren’t the only ones with managers trying to get them the best deal.
I don't believe this system did get us into the finals. I reckon it was more the work of Bernie Gurr in 2017 until 2019 (I think that's the year he left) that set us up for those years. O'Neill started at the end of 2018, after we had signed first graders to get us back into 4 years of consecutive finals. The current administration has seen us drop from 4 consecutive years of finals to 2 consecutive years outside where we're now 2nd last.
Fair point about Gurr’s influence, but he also oversaw the decline of our pathways, while the current mob has been in place for the reinvention of our junior recruitment/retention systems.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Flanagan as well. These guys are toxic with the corporate types. They are used by clubs with a higher appetite for risk. Win-at-all-costs might be a fine attitude for fans, but we’re not the ones who have to pay the bills and maintain professional reputations. We can afford to give zero f**ks about all that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Really, we just need to focus on Defense. Teach them all how to defend strategically and as a unit. Teach them how to communicate in defense and bring it all down through all grades.

There was an interesting thing that Gus said that in the big games (especially Lang Park SOO) you can't hear your team mates.

So maybe teach them certain visual cues or teach them watch your inside defender.

And seriously, if any of the players don't follow or try, drop them... even if it is Moses or Guth.
They all get taught all the same stuff in defence, at every club. Whether they can execute comes down to playing talent, which is why clubs buy players rather than just polishing all the turds they already have. Even when it comes to ‘developing’ juniors, they still poach the best ones from outside the local area. It doesn’t matter how much you teach a player if he is too slow, weak or cumbersome for NRL defence. It’s why there’s so few natural footballers or monster forwards in the game these days. Everyone needs to be athletic enough to cope with modern ruck speed.

Eelementary

Post Whore

oldmancraigy

Coach
Was Brian Smith good at pathways and development or was he just fortunate to have Noel cleal at the club

He set up pathways at the Dragons and Knights and Roosters

If I recall correctly the Roosters gave him a 5 year deal just so he would invest himself in the pathways, and sacked him early (once the rebuild was done). [[That might be wrong... ]]

Latest posts