What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

oldmancraigy

Coach
^^^

Michael Chammas evaluates the 2027 salary cap, the players possibly available and the concerns he has when NRL clubs spend ~70% on their best 13 players but Perth don't have a junior system to fill out the rest of the squad!

Neither did Melbourne, but they built one.

What does Chammas mean by they don't have a junior system??
Perth boy straight to NRL:
nrl-2004-rd01-canterbury-bankstown-bulldogs-v-parramatta-eels---matthew-petersen.jpg

They have a full competition over there:
https://www.playrugbyleague.com/Competitions/Association/western-australian-rl-15
Matt Peterson was playing for Belmont Steelers (who were a feeder for NQ Cowboys) before making his NRL debut.

They have had rugby league comps over in WA since 1948. There has been movement and they established a full Juniors State League Championship there since 2017 (bigger than previous junior comps), and they already have almost as many people registered to play rugby league in WA as they do in Vic (despite being less than half the population!)
Vic: 10,471 players
WA: 8,864 players

Perth has had RL backing way longer than Melbourne. The Storm have done an admirable job growing the game down there, but to say Perth haven't had juniors is crazy of Chammas!!

Legal Eel

Juniors
Ahhh, an actual rumour!

I could see Ryles hanging onto RCG not Junior but who knows...
I think this is just Hooper attempting to calculate 2 + 2

Matto was linked to the exit months ago when he was injured.

Sivo has been linked all year with overseas.

RCG was linked to England months back as well.

I reckon this has nothing to do with Ryles and everything to do with Hooper reviving old rumours and offering there names for the panic spin cycle.

Agree with most that it would likely be Sivo, but that it would also be Lane before Matto and Paulo before RCG...

Gronk

Staff member
Paulo would be going before Reg, and surely Lane gets a tap before Matto???
100%. Also, you can't chop all your old forwards at once, otherwise you will be left with f**k all experience.

Matto was linked to the exit months ago when he was injured.

Well on this website he was anyway. Plenty still have a bee in their bonnets still about the fine/suspension thing after the 22 GF.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
RCG has still been busting his arse all year and playing decent footy. I think the pack around him is tainting his performances.

I think we need to work towards a smaller more mobile pack and have RCG as our one big bopper. Everyone was laughing at Canterbury at the start of the season as they didn't have any recognised props, but all these small middles have done a great job for them.

In saying that though if he wants to go to England to see out his career I also wouldn't stand in his way.

Lane has been the biggest disappointment, he was always a frustrating rocks and diamonds type of player but at least there was some diamonds in there and then the end of 2022 I thought he was dead unlucky not to get picked for Australia. This year he just looks absolutely cooked and is out there plodding around. Matto likewise and is having no impact whatsoever.

Gherkin

Juniors
I don't think Matto has been as bad as people think. The head knocks are a worry but I think he's been playing well enough. If we could offload Junior we could have a middle rotation (props and lock) of Reg, Joffa, Hopgood, Matto and Guymer. Mobile enough to play the current style and Reg and Matto can be replaced by the young forwards coming through at the end of contract.
On top of that we'd need some tackle busting edge forwards and some outside backs that are going to make metres coming out of our own end. Lomax will do that well but would be ideal to have another winger that could contribute.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think he’s actually referring to you in the fact that every thing you say or touch turns to shit. you started supporting Parra since 1987 and we have been failing.

The way you backed your Uncle Brad Arthur = FAIL. You then set your sights on his son Jake and backed him = FAIL. Lussick FAIL, FAIL, FAIL, FAIL. You just fail but then spin it.

You must be 60s from the TCT. Because your rate of failure is very very much similar. either that or you are Joe Biden, really messed up incoherent crap that you always dribble.
Explaining why decisions are made isn’t a pass/fail activity. Every club has backups and sometimes they get picked in first grade. They can be poor and still better than the alternatives. There are no solutions, only trade offs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
serious question, do you actually believe this ?
I don’t think so mate. The fact a handful of these dickheads continually call me a troll shows it’s a concerted effort to isolate me and encourage others not to engage. When it doesn’t work they get frustrated and call out the people willing (able) to have rational discussion. You are no doubt about to be called an enabler. The playbook is more tired than BA’s supposed tactics.

Stevie

Bench
Maybe RCG would be easier to get rid off the books & has more value then Junior hence the link to moving him on.

Good luck anyone taking Junior for 900k atm.

I suspect if RCG says he wants to go to the UK we would happily let him go.
Maybe we offer 150? Its not ideal for 2 years but if he is done, it’s better than wasting 900 on the useless merkin.

Stevie

Bench
I don't think Matto has been as bad as people think. The head knocks are a worry but I think he's been playing well enough. If we could offload Junior we could have a middle rotation (props and lock) of Reg, Joffa, Hopgood, Matto and Guymer. Mobile enough to play the current style and Reg and Matto can be replaced by the young forwards coming through at the end of contract.
On top of that we'd need some tackle busting edge forwards and some outside backs that are going to make metres coming out of our own end. Lomax will do that well but would be ideal to have another winger that could contribute.
Matto doesn’t still bust tackles though does he? Hes been quite unremarkable playing there hasn’t he?
The last tackle busting edge players game from memory was Kelma.

Sigh.