What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
Gould doesn’t think our ‘aging squad’ is an issue. Reckons that most players at that age are still close to their peak and halves are just approaching it.

I agree with him and this is what I have been saying. Our squads main problem is fitness, attitude and very ordinary previous coaching. If we can address these issues quickly and make 2 or 3 astute signings we should quickly reverse our fortunes.

The problem is as I have said before, do we have all the right people in the right roles that are capable enough to get the job done?

I don't think we do yet and time is going to beat us if we don't do something about it very quickly.

JokerEel

Coach
What we need to be doing is targeting juniors from other clubs and not journeymen or guys in late 20s or ones their former clubs don't want.
Polishing turds doesn't work

Yep as mentioned we should be targeting Iongi from the riff. As well as some of the forwards that played the under 19s SOO this year especially the 2 from the dragons.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The club is to blame due to being so poorly run that nearly every decent merkin we produce can have their heads turned so easily by better offers by other clubs and don't care to wait and bide their time like at the better run clubs.

People should stop being so defensive about our club(admirable but in denial) and smell the coffee(sh*t) that the people in charge have been brewing for the last few years.
I don't think the club's decision/operations is perfect but I also don't think they are as terrible as it's be made out...

yes we need to improve in areas, but things are also never as poor or as good as they seem...

Johnny88

Juniors
Contracts can mean little in NRL as clubs slap the ‘for sale’ notice on players
In rugby league, even if you have a contract, you are always up for sale. And while fans may fume over players who agitate to leave despite having a deal in place, here’s proof that clubs play that game too.

Let’s call it rugby league’s black market worth more than $10 million. The contracted players who your club wants to move on before the start of next year.
From established stars to fringe first-graders. Even if you have a deal in rugby league you are always for sale and this proves it.
Players sometimes get a bad reputation for agitating for a release for more money or a better opportunity but clubs are equally as guilty. The only difference is that regardless a contracted player will always pocket what he is owed.
There are a stack of reasons for moving players on. A new coach thinks you’re not going to match his style of play. Your form has dipped well below your pay packet.
It’s not all negative either. Your club may think you’re a first grader but your path is blocked by established stars. The NRL’s strict 30 man roster spots makes spaces almost as important as cap room.

Regardless, what it does mean is that you could be moved on despite having inked a deal.
Struggling clubs are the ones generally selling. Look at the Dragons, Eels, Tigers and Knights. The Tigers are armed with a self-proclaimed $2 million war chest.
The Eels are in the midst of a fire sale of their own. Forwards Ryan Matterson, Shaun Lane and Reagan Campbell-Gillard are free to go should they land somewhere. Maiko Sivo is expected to finish his career overseas.

The Dragons are flirting with a stack of contracted players including Campbell-Gillard,
Newcastle’s Daniel Saifiti and North Queensland’s Valentine Holmes. They were already the beneficiary of Damien Cook’s time at South Sydney being cut short.
St George Illawarra are happy for Blake Lawrie and Mikaele Ravalawa to move on while they won’t stand in Jack Bird’s way after he requested permission to talk with other clubs.
Over at Canberra you’d anticipate that one of Corey Horsburgh or Emre Guler won’t be at the club next season. Horsburgh is the most likely after being given permission to talk with rival clubs just one season after making his Origin debut.
The art of tapping a player too is a new skill set clubs must develop. Do it too soon and your season can blow up like the Knights. Leave it too late and you run the risk of not giving the players enough time to find a suitable club therefore hurting the player and your cap.
It’s not all overhead projectors when players are moved on. The ‘war room’ usually involves the chief executive, coach and head of football when making these decisions. The chief executive then reaches out to the players agent while the coach may also have a one-on-one with a player to tell them they are on the chopping block.

Sometimes there are informal chats between parties too and players happen to come out on the radar of rival clubs.
The likes of Sean O’Sullivan, Danny Levi, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Christian Welch, David Klemmer, Brent Naden, Bunty Afoa, Jayden Sullivan, Ben Condon, Cory Paix,
Ken Maumalo, Jaxson Paulo and Ed Kosi are names who some clubs have had chats about pursuing even if they have not technically been told they can leave. Or even if their current club does not want them to go.
It grows every increasingly unlikely that John Bateman is at the Tigers next year when his short stint with Warrington ends while Isaiah Papali’i is a Panthers player in 2025 despite having a Tigers contract.
South Sydney’s Lachie Ilias and Cronulla’s Royce Hunt also remain on the market despite permission to talk to other clubs.

The Roosters already shifted Sitili Tupouniua to the Bulldogs for next season. The Bulldogs roster is in a bit of flux at the moment with uncertainty regarding the medical situation of Ryan Sutton and Karl Oloapu.
Young prop Itula Seve may also be on the move from Canterbury.
The Penrith production line always attracts the interest of rival clubs. This time it is fullback Isaiah Iongi who will make his NRL debut against the Knights on Sunday. Iongi, who is stuck behind Dylan Edwards, has already been identified by other clubs as a potential option from next season with 12 months left on his deal.
Who needs a transfer window? The NRL’s player market has never been as fluid. And that will only heat up once further teams fall out of finals contention.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He won't come here.

Paps love the melbourne lifestyle and what it brings.

He will repay them for sticking by him through all his injuries its the type of the bloke he is.

Unfortunately none of those of players are anywhere near Parramatta.

I am not expecting him to come.

You never know the allure of Ryles.

But I'm not holding my breath.

TheRam

Coach
My tip is the Glacier will be gone in 2025.

It will only take 1 or 2 disagreements for Ryles to go to the board and say this relationship isn't working.

And we will get a new HOF.

The board will be balls deep into Ryles moving forward because the decision to appoint him will define there tenures and the next 10 years.

MON will be expendable

Yes you are probably right, but every off season that passes without improving our roster will only put us back at least 2 more seasons. It will be hard enough as it is getting things right from here on in with just fixing fitness, attitude and good coaching that will stimulate the players into responding positively as it is. Waiting for for the off season and a blow up or two between both Ryles and The Glacier, well then if Ryles is successful in getting him moved on, who will be his replacement and will he be a quality heavy hitter that can hit the ground running and has gravitas in the game?

Remember we are vying for the spoon mate. This has a massive baring on how players and their managers see us. We need to make all the right noise quickly or we will be faced with the same undesirable moniker as the Tigers and the Dogs before Gus got there to fix the joint up to be the current new success story of the NRL and most importantly a go to destination for quality players and their managers.

Forgive me but after years of failure I don't have enough confidence in our management to get things right, let alone very quickly.

The time is very much ticking on our club and every day that passes with negative press and a lack of quality leadership in so many areas means we are nailing more nails into the long term coffin we are lying in. We need to get out of that made to measure coffin now before it is to freakin late.

Most of us older fans have seen this movie to many times before and it never ends well. Eventually every other player, manager and club ends up sticking a stake through our heart and we are done for a decade or so. I hope this doesn't end up being like those times, but I am fearing it may just end up that way.

Unless they can unearth an unexpected gun HOF from God knows where, I hope they quickly realise the enormity of the situation we are in and bring in Brian Smith to do that role.

But I know it will never happen.

Gronk

Staff member
Contracts can mean little in NRL as clubs slap the ‘for sale’ notice on players
In rugby league, even if you have a contract, you are always up for sale. And while fans may fume over players who agitate to leave despite having a deal in place, here’s proof that clubs play that game too.

Let’s call it rugby league’s black market worth more than $10 million. The contracted players who your club wants to move on before the start of next year.
From established stars to fringe first-graders. Even if you have a deal in rugby league you are always for sale and this proves it.
Players sometimes get a bad reputation for agitating for a release for more money or a better opportunity but clubs are equally as guilty. The only difference is that regardless a contracted player will always pocket what he is owed.
There are a stack of reasons for moving players on. A new coach thinks you’re not going to match his style of play. Your form has dipped well below your pay packet.
It’s not all negative either. Your club may think you’re a first grader but your path is blocked by established stars. The NRL’s strict 30 man roster spots makes spaces almost as important as cap room.

Regardless, what it does mean is that you could be moved on despite having inked a deal.
Struggling clubs are the ones generally selling. Look at the Dragons, Eels, Tigers and Knights. The Tigers are armed with a self-proclaimed $2 million war chest.
The Eels are in the midst of a fire sale of their own. Forwards Ryan Matterson, Shaun Lane and Reagan Campbell-Gillard are free to go should they land somewhere. Maiko Sivo is expected to finish his career overseas.

The Dragons are flirting with a stack of contracted players including Campbell-Gillard,
Newcastle’s Daniel Saifiti and North Queensland’s Valentine Holmes. They were already the beneficiary of Damien Cook’s time at South Sydney being cut short.
St George Illawarra are happy for Blake Lawrie and Mikaele Ravalawa to move on while they won’t stand in Jack Bird’s way after he requested permission to talk with other clubs.
Over at Canberra you’d anticipate that one of Corey Horsburgh or Emre Guler won’t be at the club next season. Horsburgh is the most likely after being given permission to talk with rival clubs just one season after making his Origin debut.
The art of tapping a player too is a new skill set clubs must develop. Do it too soon and your season can blow up like the Knights. Leave it too late and you run the risk of not giving the players enough time to find a suitable club therefore hurting the player and your cap.
It’s not all overhead projectors when players are moved on. The ‘war room’ usually involves the chief executive, coach and head of football when making these decisions. The chief executive then reaches out to the players agent while the coach may also have a one-on-one with a player to tell them they are on the chopping block.

Sometimes there are informal chats between parties too and players happen to come out on the radar of rival clubs.
The likes of Sean O’Sullivan, Danny Levi, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Christian Welch, David Klemmer, Brent Naden, Bunty Afoa, Jayden Sullivan, Ben Condon, Cory Paix,
Ken Maumalo, Jaxson Paulo and Ed Kosi are names who some clubs have had chats about pursuing even if they have not technically been told they can leave. Or even if their current club does not want them to go.
It grows every increasingly unlikely that John Bateman is at the Tigers next year when his short stint with Warrington ends while Isaiah Papali’i is a Panthers player in 2025 despite having a Tigers contract.
South Sydney’s Lachie Ilias and Cronulla’s Royce Hunt also remain on the market despite permission to talk to other clubs.

The Roosters already shifted Sitili Tupouniua to the Bulldogs for next season. The Bulldogs roster is in a bit of flux at the moment with uncertainty regarding the medical situation of Ryan Sutton and Karl Oloapu.
Young prop Itula Seve may also be on the move from Canterbury.
The Penrith production line always attracts the interest of rival clubs. This time it is fullback Isaiah Iongi who will make his NRL debut against the Knights on Sunday. Iongi, who is stuck behind Dylan Edwards, has already been identified by other clubs as a potential option from next season with 12 months left on his deal.
Who needs a transfer window? The NRL’s player market has never been as fluid. And that will only heat up once further teams fall out of finals contention.
I get the clean out thing. But FFS we won't have a team if they all go. We don't even have a NSW Cup team right now.

The Predictor

Juniors
Jnr started the year looking fit and moving well. Within 5 weeks he ballooned out and must of gained close to 10kgs.
Consider that he is the leader of our forwards. What the he'll was BA doing accepting this? He should have been dropped based on the weight gain.
Junior only gets fit for boxing after that he doesn’t give a toss…tell me plenty

JokerEel

Coach
Yet year after year Baldie was happy to keep him co captain, it speaks volumes of the appalling culture built at the club.

Yep why was he the captain was he leading anyway at this club??

Moses and Gutho should be co captains next season. (Moses missed his daughter's birth for the club ffs)

Then Moses once Guthos moves on.

Stevie

Bench
Arthur Miller Stephen I rate. He also is seriously quick. I haven’t seen Dick Penisini or ‘double dong’ (what an awful name he has) play.
I forgot about him. He was going really well wasnt he until his injury? Debuted in 23? Then injury in last pre season gone for the year. Says he is a wing/fullback?

How is his recovery going, anyone know? Could he be a smokey for 25 on the wing or will he need another year to develop again?

hindy111

Post Whore
@TheRam Building a good football side is like this.

It all starts with a creative hooker. They will touch the ball the most and need to know when to spread it.
You need a mix of experience and youth. The experience will keep things calm but moving in the right direction especially in wet conditions whilst the youth will add energy and joy. Keeps things fresh.
Your halves dictate the play. They need to know when to run and must have a good touch.
On the outside you need speed and power whilst in the middle you need a few workers who can go all day. They will plug the holes.
And whoever is at the back is equally important. They could have 2 or 3 people cuming at them at once and have a split second to take the tight option, I mean right option. Whoops.
I need a glass of water to cool down.

Right now we have about 12 star fish who have one move and one move only. Chase the collision.

Latest posts