What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

King-Gutho94

Coach
Draft is an American thing anyway because they all have to go through college before getting picked up in NBA, NFL, MLB

The AFL love copying the US sports models in a lot things they do.

Do European sports do a draft

King-Gutho94

Coach
Me and four others. It’s obviously not a level playing field. And merkins somehow want to blame people in our club.
Everyone knows it's not a level playing field look at the Roosters ffs.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't be demanding more from the people in charge of the club.

Going out and finding more resources externally.

They may well be doing the best they can but there is always more to do.

We need to find the balance of having of proper business nous but the right mix of Rugby League nous as well that can waive themselves through they politics in the game that can benefit the club.

hindy111

Post Whore
Agreed.

To put it simply for even the most dumb dumb statisticians among us, if players are not good enough or ready to be put into the top 30 and then a club is forced through injuries to elevate them into the top 30 or worse still into their top 17 team, then you are promoting inferior personnel in to shore up your deficiencies in the top 30 ffs!

As opposed to starting off the season with a top 30 of players who are all top 30 ready and capable.

Where're not trying to solve the mysteries of the universe here pou. It's freakin simples. I think you are looking at your bell curve and all you see is a straight fu*king line you silly potato pot!

Why are you so OCD and have you seen anyone for dat?

Oh and pou my questions to you are rhetorical and I will not engage in your meaningless nonsensical(but orgasmic for you) dribble posts to them. This is just my way or releasing my frustration that I had to scroll through so many countless mind numbingly boring but useless posts the last few days. You are the toilet of this site and I just felt the need to flush some stink away.

Ah now that's better. I can smell some fresh air again. Freakin Wonderful, the gardenias are in bloom again! I feel like a song is ready to burst from my lips...

The hill are alive with the sound of music.
With the songs they have sung....

Reading such a well written break down sent shivers up my spine. For a second I thought I had Dengue fever.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Everyone knows it's not a level playing field look at the Roosters ffs.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't be demanding more from the people in charge of the club.

Going out and finding more resources externally.

They may well be doing the best they can but there is always more to do.

We need to find the balance of having of proper business nous but the right mix of Rugby League nous as well that can waive themselves through they politics in the game that can benefit the club.
For sure. Just don't assume that sacking merkins means they'll be replaced by more competent ones. The current (long term) performance of the Eels might be the best anyone could do with our club. We've had a legitimate chance of winning the comp since 2019 and we will have a legitimate chance in the coming years. Pre-2019 there have been long periods where we were zero chance of a premiership. The current year is an anomaly. Even last year we were an outside chance of winning the comp, with (much) better luck. We might be an outside chance of winning again next year, with our new window increasing in subsequent years. It's very exciting.

JokerEel

Coach
Different sports and pathways I doubt the NRL will ever have a draft the whole junior rugby league system across the country would have to be revamped.

Afl clubs though don't spend in junior development.

I assume it's more private school and then whatever poshed up local side that plays in the metro comps is where the talent goes in u18s

If a draft comes in the NRL would have to basically take control of pathways because the clubs won't bother if there just developing for a draft that other clubs get first access too.

Correct that it may have an effect on how juniors are developed.

Doing a bit more brain storming here with the juniors draft.

The club develops the players like they do now and when they get to a certain age let's say 20 they can either re-sign with thier current club (Do a sign and trade type deal like they do in the NBA if the player wants to go to another club)or put them selves up for the draft if they want to try their hand at getting some more dollars...

Not a perfect system just thinking but it will give the juniors a bit more interest

Remember we just developed Blaize Sander MA for other clubs to get them and we don't get anything in return

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
Draft is an American thing anyway because they all have to go through college before getting picked up in NBA, NFL, MLB

The AFL love copying the US sports models in a lot things they do.

Do European sports do a draft

The NRL is also playing games in the US I can see us copying them alot more.

Soccer/Football doesn't have anything the same teams are winning it. 🤮

84 Baby

Referee
Correct that it may have an effect on how juniors are developed.

Doing a bit more brain storming here with the juniors draft.

The club develops the players like they do now and when they get to a certain age let's say 20 they can either re-sign with thier current club (Do a sign and trade type deal like they do in the NBA if the player wants to go to another club)or put them selves up for the draft if they want to try their hand at getting some more dollars...

Not a perfect system just thinking but it will give the juniors a bit more interest

Remember we just developed Blaize Sander MA for other clubs to get them and we don't get anything in return
I think the NBA sign and trade raises a potential solution. Basically in NBA they work because usually when players come off contract, their current teams are allowed to sign them for a higher value, even if that puts them over “salary cap”. Which works because they have a multistage cap.
So perhaps the NRL could introduce similar for developed players.

JokerEel

Coach
I think the NBA sign and trade raises a potential solution. Basically in NBA they work because usually when players come off contract, their current teams are allowed to sign them for a higher value, even if that puts them over “salary cap”. Which works because they have a multistage cap.
So perhaps the NRL could introduce similar for developed players.

Well it's an idea, problem is most people put it in the too hard basket or don't want to look what's working somewhere else and try to make something similar work for the NRL.

Imagine getting something in return for Blaize from the riff.. or Sanders from Canberra.. It actually gives you more reasons to develop players.

The schedule being one of them.