What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

oldmancraigy

Coach
Tackling and kicking

It's a recognition that top 30 isn't the elite cadre you think it is. As though there are 510 merkins who are NRL stars in top 30 squads while player 511 is a park footballer who should be nOwHeRe NeAr FiRsT gRaDe!1!!

The reality is that there might only be 250 NRL standard players in the world. Plus another 50 who used to be (and are still good enough to be backups) and another 50 who will be (and are old enough to compete against grown men). That makes 350 merkins. Not enough to fill a dozen top 30 squads. The game needs career backups to fill out squads and cover injuries and suspensions throughout a season.

The following players have played NRL this year, at the top four clubs:

Storm
Kane Bradley (3 games)
Bronson Garlick (4 games)
Dean Ieremia (1 game)
Lazarus Vaalepu (5 games)

Panthers
Soni Luke (2 games)
Luron Patea (3 games)
Preston Riki (1 game)
Luke Sommerton (2 games)
Trent Toelau (9 games)

Roosters
Zach Dockar-Clay (2 games)
Ethan King (1 game)
Blake Steep (2 games)

Sharks
Jayden Berrell (3 games)
Jesse Colquhoun (1 game)
Liam Ison (1 game)

All nuffies with flaws in their game, just like Jake Arthur. There are even more of these merkins at the bottom 13 clubs.

I'm not sure who you're arguing with?

I'm interested as to the qualities that make Jake a top30 guy?
And what happens to your arguments about him being a viable backup if he isn't seen as one by a one else?

In a hypothetical scenario:
A young half is signed top30 on potential.
3 years in it is apparent they haven't got the running kicking or passing game to be a top 30 half.
Their defensive reads are poor.
They end up as a better footy player than I ever was, but not a top30 NRL player (even at age 23 or 24)

This happens all the time.

hindy111

Post Whore
that's just not true and never has been even back in the days of Brian Smith when it became very apparent

for some reason, people like to vent and criticize when their team loses, we all do it just some more than others

Maybe the forum needs a good old fashioned clean out. Keep the good birds. I'm happy to help out but my services don't come cheap.

hindy111

Post Whore
and how many of those played RM cup or equivalent to third tier rugby league this year?

the point is, due to our massive mismanagement of our squad we’ve had to dig deep into Flegg and development squads, 2nd tier squad and 2 players outside our system who played third tier rugby league all because we completely mismanaged our squad this year and weren’t able to fill it with the quality required.

whilst we’ve done a reasonable job in the past this year was a next level low..

seriously, who would offer a bloke like Jirah a multi year deal in August 22 when he struggled to make Newcastles reserve grade side? Or offer Cini a 3 year deal with the third year T30 contract after spending a year in reserve grade on a 2nd tier deal…?

we did the same with Makatoa after we got him from England on a 2nd tier deal….

FMD our talent identification has been nothing short of diabolical…

BA has been riding the Isaiah Papali'i gravy train for to long.......
What about last year Murchie,Davey 2nd time,Hodgson. I just puked a little

Delboy

First Grade
Looks like Ryles has an opinion on the value of players we currently have on the roster, and has made a decision that if they are to stay it will be on a more cap friendly deal.

Nothing wrong with that, just underlines the poor use of resources for a few years, let the revolution begin.

Zoso

Juniors
I would think there is only one of them running the club and the other two are looking to him for direction in terms of rugby league knowledge. That in itself is the single biggest issue at the club at the moment.
It was only a month or two ago they said we had a premiership quality squad (Or words to that effect). Boggles the mind if they actually believed that.

Zoso

Juniors
that's just not true and never has been even back in the days of Brian Smith when it became very apparent

for some reason, people like to vent and criticize when their team loses, we all do it just some more than others
I’m not convinced we’ve won enough games to have a decent sample size.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Looks like Ryles has an opinion on the value of players we currently have on the roster, and has made a decision that if they are to stay it will be on a more cap friendly deal.

Nothing wrong with that, just underlines the poor use of resources for a few years, let the revolution begin.
I am sure whatever Ryles decides Pou will disagree with.

Delboy

First Grade
I would think there is only one of them running the club and the other two are looking to him for direction in terms of rugby league knowledge. That in itself is the single biggest issue at the club at the moment.
If we can guess who is seemingly in charge, then “Houston we have a problem ! “ . 🤔🙄

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are of course right.

things are going swimmingly and no one in the world could foresee a problem with BA or the clubs methods until right now - BA and the club were on track for a premiership until the mean girl fans and parasitic media unfairly bullied the club into sacking him.
So nothing to do with player options? It's just the latest thing you've latched onto because you don't understand it.

Legal Eel

Juniors
So nothing to do with player options? It's just the latest thing you've latched onto because you don't understand it.
No mate you are always right.

we are just an impoverished and under resourced club with insanely bad luck and ignorant, dumb bogan fans who need to be educated by you about how failure is all the club can expect or deserve.

Also, Steve Kearney and the Arthur family were visionaries unappreciated by the slobbering masses but their true genius was recognised by their mirror counterpart, the great Poucifer!