What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Tiger5150

Bench
You think we should've kept Galvin/Talagi/Sanders over Moses and Drown?
I dont think you kick out 15/16 year olds because of the 30yo you have in first grade...no. Particularly as you keep harping on about the 15/16yo can play 2RF. I think when you are developing juniors, you keep the best of them.

If you were running the club we would've run last this year. We would never win a preliminary final.
tbh if I was running the club, with the logic I am arguing, Parramatta would be a powerhouse and making the finals every year. Penrith, Parramatta and Wests Tigers have the best junior nurseries in the NRL and should be producing a conveyor belt of quality NRL juniors that power these teams to success. Only one of the three teams is doing that, Penrith.

Tigers are shit and have been for a long time, however one of the few things they are doing right (mostly because of lack of options) is concentrating on juniors. When the Tigers sacked Madge 2 years ago, a big reason quoted was that he was not developing juniors through the grades. When the club brought back the dinosaur that is Tim Sheens, the one thing he is proven at is developing juniors and this is what he was backing his success on. It happened to coincide with the Magpies going undefeated in Harold Matts so its a pretty easy tactic. The side that got pumped by Parra last night had 7 Tigers juniors in the team and another 4 players who were not Tigers juniors but debuted with us, so 11/17 are juniors or debuted with us. This will pay dividends in the next two seasons.

Pou I know you are trolling but your argument that Parra dont need to hold and develop superstar juniors because you already have two good halves is insane and the opposite of what a successful club needs to do. I am not here arguing my club is good and your club is shit....at the moment we are both shit, but simply from a straightforward rugby league development discussion, arguing you should punt a junior who would be Captain and 6 of Aus Schoolboys 18months later because you have 30yo Mitchell Moses is crazy.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In 2022 he wasnt old enough.
But Talagi was, despite being born in the same year.
In 2023 he was Captain and 5/8 of Australian Schoolboys.

One year later he played a whole season of 5/8 in NRL without ever playing Jersey Flegg or NSW Cup.
It's good that he finally sorted his shit out. When Dylan Brown was Galvin's age he carved up the Broncos in a 58-0 finals win. The year before that (aged 18) he played reserve grade. The year before that (aged 17) he won SG Ball playing halfback and made the Toyota Cup grand final, also in the halves. Never played Australian Schoolboys though. I guess he was too busy.

Tiger5150

Bench
It's good that he finally sorted his shit out. When Dylan Brown was Galvin's age he carved up the Broncos in a 58-0 finals win. The year before that (aged 18) he played reserve grade. The year before that (aged 17) he won SG Ball playing halfback and made the Toyota Cup grand final, also in the halves. Never played Australian Schoolboys though. I guess he was too busy.
When Dylan Brown was 17 Parramatta made the second week of the finals and their halves were Cory Norman and Mitchell Moses. Both Norman and Moses are better than Drown, how come Parra didnt get rid of Drown when he was 17?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I dont think you kick out 15/16 year olds because of the 30yo you have in first grade...no. Particularly as you keep harping on about the 15/16yo can play 2RF. I think when you are developing juniors, you keep the best of them.

tbh if I was running the club, with the logic I am arguing, Parramatta would be a powerhouse and making the finals every year. Penrith, Parramatta and Wests Tigers have the best junior nurseries in the NRL and should be producing a conveyor belt of quality NRL juniors that power these teams to success. Only one of the three teams is doing that, Penrith.
They have recruitment/retention benefits at the top 30 level that our clubs don't have.
Tigers are shit and have been for a long time, however one of the few things they are doing right (mostly because of lack of options) is concentrating on juniors. When the Tigers sacked Madge 2 years ago, a big reason quoted was that he was not developing juniors through the grades. When the club brought back the dinosaur that is Tim Sheens, the one thing he is proven at is developing juniors and this is what he was backing his success on. It happened to coincide with the Magpies going undefeated in Harold Matts so its a pretty easy tactic. The side that got pumped by Parra last night had 7 Tigers juniors in the team and another 4 players who were not Tigers juniors but debuted with us, so 11/17 are juniors or debuted with us. This will pay dividends in the next two seasons.
Our 2022 grand final team had 8 players who played in our junior reps and 2 more who debuted with us. It doesn't help long term if they demand overs to stay. Look at your experience with Utoikamanu. Young mercenaries are still mercenaries.
Pou I know you are trolling but your argument that Parra dont need to hold and develop superstar juniors because you already have two good halves is insane and the opposite of what a successful club needs to do.
No I'm saying they won't stick around to play second fiddle. We got rid of Corey Norman (who went on to play Origin) to fit Drown into the team. Otherwise he was off to the Warriors.
I am not here arguing my club is good and your club is shit....at the moment we are both shit, but simply from a straightforward rugby league development discussion, arguing you should punt a junior who would be Captain and 6 of Aus Schoolboys 18months later
Australian Schoolboys is meaningless, because the best schoolboys are already full time sportsmen and their clubs won't let them play. Playing NRL (albeit for the wooden spooners) is a genuine flex and Galvin should be proud. Playing for the Australian Schoolboys is not a flex.
because you have 30yo Mitchell Moses is crazy.
We didn't punt Galvin because of Moses, we punted him because of Brown and Talagi. They were already at a much higher level than Galvin when we let him go. The fact he has evolved from an edge forward is a credit to him. But clubs can't hang onto every ordinary youngster in the hope he turns out great. They need to focus on the high performers.

Tiger5150

Bench
But Talagi was, despite being born in the same year.

Dylan Brown played Aus schoolboys in 2017

Pazza

First Grade
But where do you play him? Forget about wing and especially fullback as he doesn't have the pace. He's ok at centre, but really he's a 6. Penrith had the 6 vacant so there was little hope he'd wait behind Dylan.

How about in nsw cup?? Like a proper development club would....

Latest posts