What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's all irrelevant our performances under Arthur were downright putrid this year compared to what we dished up under Barrett.

Canberra, Dolphins in Darwin, Magic Round and I'll throw in the Tigers at Commbank where we offered sfa in attack against the worst defensive side in the comp.

What excuses can you offer up for those games.

When Arthur had better players at his disposal then what Baz had to deal with in the back end.

Hopgood, Paulo, Matterson, Moses, Sivo for an extended period, Simmonson were all missing for a large majority of Barrett's stint.

Outside of Moses all of them were available and playing under Arthur in those first 10 games.

I reckon our worst performance under Barrett was probably the Chooks at Allianz and seriously was anyone expecting us to get within 30 anyway.

Under Barrett we were still in 80% games in the final 10 mins. Some dumb football and shithouse defensive lapses cost us probably 4 games.
We also beat Manly and the Cowboys, and smashed the Bulldogs. Either way, coaching has little impact on individual games. It has a strategic effect. What this means is that Barrett’s results were more down to Arthur, since he was the coach during preseason and for many years leading up to it. And you should be happy with that idea, because our results under Barrett were garbage.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We also beat Manly and the Cowboys, and smashed the Bulldogs. Either way, coaching has little impact on individual games. It has a strategic effect. What this means is that Barrett’s results were more down to Arthur, since he was the coach during preseason and for many years leading up to it. And you should be happy with that idea, because our results under Barrett were garbage.

jurassic park deal with it GIF

TheRam

Coach
They are the only outside chance of stopping the Storm. It will be 5yrs that one of those 2 have won it.
NRL is getting boring. But like EPL

I have tuned out on so many games it isn't funny. It is bad enough that Parra is so sh*t, but most of the top teams are basically always the same so makes it even more uninteresting and add in the lack of softening up period and the NRL's determination to remove the huge collision and even the slightest incidental love tap to the head that doesn't cause any real damage and they have taken out the real edge of the game.

I'm not talking about violence or dirty tactics that can really hurt someone, but making it all so black and white(and still getting it wrong so often anyway) has taken the feel of the game out of the refs hands and watered down the passion and emotion that used to be under the surface bubbling along in so many games before. Now you get it only when it is a major game sometimes.

That's what I miss from before, that feverish sub surface niggle and anger that existed in the game. Again I'm not talking about violence, in fact I would have been much more server in sentencing JWH with his latest discretion and suspended him for 8 weeks and ended his career on that note. He is a disgrace as far as foul play goes. He has had it way to easy over the years and gotten away with way more then should have been allowed in the modern game and media types that love or fear Politis ignored or don't call him out enough over the years. He no doubt has been the best front rower enforcer of the last 15 years or so but that has come at the cost of a lot of other peoples health and careers which I don't think should be tolerated in todays game. Also Kafausi too is in the same sh*t club too. I would have rubbed him out of the game years ago.

I still love the game and it is more skillful now then ever before with the exception of the halves. It is a wonderful modern sporting product and in my view still the best in the world when played by two quality teams in front of a big crowd, but it just needs to find that balance of eradicating true reckless or intentional violence offenders versus the incidental or non injuring accidents which most players have now learnt to play for the penalty.

Well anyway Parra is sh*t and missed the semis yet again this year and the Panther will still win the Premiership even with a half busted Cleary because the comp is so way weak. I can't believe we can't win a Premiership in probably the weakest comp era I have ever witnessed in the 50 odd years I have been following the game. It really says a lot of where our club standards are and how off the pace we are. It's not that the top 3 clubs are so strong, even though they are reasonably strong, but how week the rest of the teams are. If we don't get at least one new able prop to replace RCG then it won't matter how much we fix our backline. We will go backwards. Look at the Dolphins with probably the best backline in the league at full strength and the best coach in the business and they still couldn't get to the semis and they don't have the same metal aversion to tackling that our club does. No matter what the idiots on the telly keep telling you. Big quality forwards still win games when it counts while ably supported by big strong wingers too.

Sure smaller packs with the six again rule can and do well, but in the most important games quality and fit big boys will almost always dominate the quality and fit smaller boys, just look at this years SOO series. No contest when it mattered.

But anyway my rant is over. Go the WEELS!!!

Delboy

First Grade
Gee, Alexander is a flog of the biggest order. His opening remarks on SEN this morning was how poor Parra were in putting 60 points on the Tigpies. I watched most of the Riff game, and I’m more sure the Riff performed any better, but in true Brandy style that was not a point to be made on the game.
Then his headline seeking mate, Vossy, started his commentary on Gutho taking the dive in the game, given how many players do that why was it an issue, the Knights actually tackled a player in the line , 2 players wide of the try scorer and the idiot bunker disallowed the try, As it was Parra, make a comment as who cares about the Fins in Sydney. What was a good programme initially has become a bit of a sounding board to push headlines rather than the game. The club that apparently moves the dial is Parra and they can’t help themselves. Anyway it was at 6.10 am and when you have an inclination to listen to a sports network, you get agenda driven nonsense

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ryles was quoted off the record he would walk over broken glass to get the parra job.

He had the Dragons gig locked in 18 months ago. Being an ex player he would have known what he was walking into but opted against it at the last minute.

Flanagan on the other hand was desperate due to reputation damage he had to grab any gig possible.

Flanno did a decent job with the squad he had at his disposal it was basically BA 2014 at Parra really.

Punched above there weight but got flogged numerous times and choked in the last 2 games to miss the finals by 1 game.
Right but does that mean it was Flanagan’s fault? The players are the ones winning and losing games, and some things can’t be fixed by coaching. I’d say plenty of things. The senior players are more influential than coaches, which is why they get paid more.

Latest posts