What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Stevie

Bench
Don't forget...sivo was coached by supercoach to just hit it up, so opposition just knew he was never gonna pass and was simply cannon fodder in his hitups....poor guy was physically and mentally broken....you could definitely see it in his body language

The last few weeks he was actually looking to pass and step around the defence.
Sorry mate but the thought of Sivo being encouraged to look for a pass coming back makes me want to be sick.

The ONE thing that would make him elite would be to bring the ball back at 10/10 every time and skittling the odd defender doing it. The bloke is a cat, and a dumb one at that.

Anyone encouraging him to stay must have watched a different game to me the last couple years.

Pazza

First Grade
100%
Respect to Gutho for things he does do but if we’re going to be uncompromising in our standards, Gutho’s kick returns have less physicality than Trai Fuller who’s a quarter of his size and his defence this year was a turnstile

And people use to murder Luke Burt over it, is gutho any better??

oldmancraigy

Coach
And people use to murder Luke Burt over it, is gutho any better??

Yes. Gutho is better.
He is 4th in the NRL for 2024 kick return meters.
That is ONLY meters gained from returning kicks.
He beats Tedesco and Turbo (etc)
Only Edwards, Drinkwater and Kennedy have more than Gutho this year.

In terms of average per game, Iongi is number 1 with a bullet - but to be fair he only played 1 game... good signs though.

Tl;dr - you can't blame Gutho for Sivo's lack of willingness to ruck it out with some force.

Pazza

First Grade
Yes. Gutho is better.
He is 4th in the NRL for 2024 kick return meters.
That is ONLY meters gained from returning kicks.
He beats Tedesco and Turbo (etc)
Only Edwards, Drinkwater and Kennedy have more than Gutho this year.

In terms of average per game, Iongi is number 1 with a bullet - but to be fair he only played 1 game... good signs though.

Tl;dr - you can't blame Gutho for Sivo's lack of willingness to ruck it out with some force.

What wasI thinking , my eyes must be painted on. Guthos speed and footwork makes him a dangerous kick returner

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What wasI thinking , my eyes must be painted on. Guthos speed and footwork
*Strength, positioning and bravery
makes him a dangerous kick returner
*reliable

The thing is, the effectiveness of a kick return depends on the kick pressure and where it's kicked from. If you improve your defence you limit the opposition's kicking game. It's very synergistic.