What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Whingers and Occasional Optimism XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There is no chance he will sign for $150k.

I reckon there is every chance he would sign for that much, he probably aren't on much more than that now. Seriously name another club that is going to offer him a contract for next year ?

Bigfella

Coach
If we could get him cheap enough that it doesn't hurt us to have his salary at Wenty then re-sign him for sure. At more than about $150k he actually represents a bit of a risk.

Yep agreed.

Last year he was good but tailed off a bit towards the end.

I think that's maybe an indicator of age.

He's been brilliant so far. The top fullbacks though will get better as the bigger games come around.

Let's see how he goes (in the semis hopefully) as the year gets on.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yep agreed.

Last year he was good but tailed off a bit towards the end.

I think that's maybe an indicator of age.

He's been brilliant so far. The top fullbacks though will get better as the bigger games come around.

Let's see how he goes (in the semis hopefully) as the year gets on.

I reckon we just need to him to be safe, good positioning at back and decent support player. Probably not to hard to achieve for an aging player. We really don't use him a lot in our attacking plans or require his brilliance (or speed) to win games, so this should help him extend his career if he stays

Delboy

First Grade
Why do we think a footy player can't manage on $150/$175k per year, it's a decent salary for 90% of wage earners

That's much better than working for a living, if it's that or move to another country when You have kids , family etc - difficult decision

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Is he good enough for a foreign player spot at an ESL club? Remember, Tongan and Samoan citizens don't count as foreigners in the EU. Aussies do, so there's less opportunities for mid-range Australian players.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Retire from the NRL, yes. He would chase the coin in the ESL. That's my assumption.

Yeah he would easily earn a lot more over there.

Wonder how much the possibility of winning a comp will help us keep our squad together for the next 2-3 years?

hindy111

Post Whore
Can't believe I'm saying this but I hope we don't have the distraction of a possible return of Hayne. Hope he makes it at the 49ers and the NFL long term.

I doubt Chip Kelly will touch him. He has a bit of exposure thou so another club might.

Eelogical

Referee
Yeah he would easily earn a lot more over there.

Wonder how much the possibility of winning a comp will help us keep our squad together for the next 2-3 years?

At the moment it's all about this year. 2017 can wait. Gordon to me is the unsung hero. He hasn't put a foot wrong and is doing a tremendous job at the back. It's all about the team, not individuals.

Avenger

Immortal
Why do we think a footy player can't manage on $150/$175k per year, it's a decent salary for 90% of wage earners

That's much better than working for a living, if it's that or move to another country when You have kids , family etc - difficult decision

Well said. $150k plus is a great salary for living well in Australia. The key however is to minimise debt, especially debt on your house. Be happy where you live and consolidate what you have. Just use the equity you have to reduce your tax. ;-)

It's a fair point Delboy, but I guess the qualifier is that for most wage earners on $150k, they have a reasonable expectation of earning something similar into the foreseeable future. The average 33-year old journeyman NRL player is looking at a bit of a drop in earning power, that may never recover. It's not they can't manage on $150k, but they may be pretty keen to eek every drop out of their league playing ability, as they may not be as good at investment banking.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Dean Ritichie was on the 2Ky BSB show this morning and suggested Tamou will stay at the Cowboys. Mentioned rumours of eels being interested but was unlikely to come, also mentioned the Roosters may be interested.

Bigfella

Coach
No one remotely suggested he couldn't manage.

It's a question of whether he would accept that compared to what he might get elsewhere.

Delboy

First Grade
Fair enough. Was trying to make the point that he should be easily debt free after the earnings he has made, probably an investment property of 2. Dislocation comes at a price, of course you can chase the dollar, but as we have seen when players wives are separated from family support etc, it may be easier to stay relatively local, and get a couple more years at a more reasonable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts