What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
LUAI’S CLAIMS ON THE NO.7 JERSEY

Jarome Luai is being chased hard by the Tigers and Bulldogs with the Panthers facing a massive fight to retain his services.

The big question is can Luai make the switch from a running five-eighth to a chief organiser in the No.7 hot seat?

However, Ciraldo has known Luai for a long time and has no doubt he has what it takes to be a quality halfback in the NRL.

“Jarome can do anything he wants really,” Ciraldo said.

“He is a quality player who loves footy and he loves his teammates.

“That’s the challenge of someone like that if he is looking for that challenge.

“But I have seen Jarome since he was 17 years old and every challenge that has been thrown at him he has latched onto and gone after it and ultimately succeeded.

His winning ratio in every grade he has played is unbelievable, so yeah Jarome can do anything he wants if he puts his mind to it.”

The Bulldogs have been linked to both Luai and Addin Fonua-Blake and Ciraldo hinted he would be happy to get at least one of the star duo.

“I think we have shown we are in the market for quality players,” Ciraldo said.

“We are very happy with the players we have bought and our long-term mantra is about developing Bulldogs players through our pathways system and we are doing a great job of that.

“We won two of the lower grade titles in Harold Matthews Cup and Jersey Flegg last year and we have got some really good talent coming through there.

“But it is important to have those guys at the top end who can help set the culture and show them what winning looks like every day.

“The good thing is we do have space for more quality talent at the top end and if one of those names come off that is great, but if not we are happy with what we are building.”

Wow, they have just signed 10 players (appreciate not all will on big coin) but they still have room for both Luai and AFB?
WTF is our accountant doing?

Gus is a past and current master of 'moving players on'. If (and I say if) Luai comes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox and his large contract moved on, if he doesn't start with a huge improvement in 24. The same fate awaits Kiks.

I think Burton will be given 24, but if he is the same as previous years, he will face the same fact.

It means the club is in constant turmoil with players comming and going all over the place.

Tigerm

Coach
Gus is a past and current master of 'moving players on'. If (and I say if) Luai comes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox and his large contract moved on, if he doesn't start with a huge improvement in 24. The same fate awaits Kiks.

I think Burton will be given 24, but if he is the same as previous years, he will face the same fact.

It means the club is in constant turmoil with players comming and going all over the place.

Yeah, makes it hard to settle with a playing group, maybe Ciraldo will be back at Penrith sooner rather than later?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Yeah, makes it hard to settle with a playing group, maybe Ciraldo will be back at Penrith sooner rather than later?

I agree. This was one of the major issues with Gus, especially towards the end of his time at Penrith.

It cost the club heaps continually buying, then moving players on. It was almost (I believe) like continually walking on egg shells. Not a way to build confidence and sustainability in a playing group.

Nutz

Bench
Riveting reading fellas. Keep it up.
I hope the morale of team, in particular our recent signings, aren't effected by the Luai and AFB sagas.
Then again, what did the team expect when they were losing by cricket scores each week and 2 wooden spoons later.
If Luai doesn't come, which was 05 anyway, the halves combo of Sezer and Sullivan just might work.
We have depth in the halves, albeit inexperienced, but they could make the odd cameo now and then.

Tigerm

Coach
Riveting reading fellas. Keep it up.
I hope the morale of team, in particular our recent signings, aren't effected by the Luai and AFB sagas.
Then again, what did the team expect when they were losing by cricket scores each week and 2 wooden spoons later.
If Luai doesn't come, which was 05 anyway, the halves combo of Sezer and Sullivan just might work.
We have depth in the halves, albeit inexperienced, but they could make the odd cameo now and then.
Unfortunately, if they make the odd cameo it will probably mean we have turned to shit, or have an injury, both scenarios are not great?
Of course they could be the new Bula for ‘24?

Nutz

Bench
Unfortunately, if they make the odd cameo it will probably mean we have turned to shit, or have an injury, both scenarios are not great?
Of course they could be the new Bula for ‘24?
I was thinking more for injuries.
These young lads are brimming with confidence and I think having an old head in Sezer at ½ is a very good move by Benji.
Sezer's form looks crash hot albeit in Pommy land. He has more strings to his bow than Brooks.
Brooks was a running ½ and good defender whilst Sezer takes the line on and has a variety of passing and kicking skills.
The more I watch his highlights the more confident I am that he'll go alright.

Tigerm

Coach

While Ciraldo told SEN Radio that the Bulldogs would be open to talking with Luai, they have not put an offer in front of the five-eighth and his new management.

“No, an offer hasn't been made to Jarome,” Ciraldo told SEN.

“With Jarome, it's the same as it was with Stephen (Crichton). If and when he (Luai) decides to leave Penrith, of course we'd like to chat with any quality player that's on the open market.

“But I'm not going to poach guys out of Penrith. I hope they all stay together for the rest of their careers.

“But if they do end up leaving, of course I'd like to be in the conversation, but up until now I haven't heard Jarome is leaving Penrith. And we won't do anything up until that point.”

Pretty strange comments from Ciraldo, if reports are true, Luai wants to make a decision by the 8th (though this date changes a bit), oh well, we will wait and see what happens I guess?

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
One of the big noting dickheads on the Wests Tigers Forum reckons his contacts have said Luai is staying Penrith side.
The guy has a strike rate like an aborted foetus though so dont get too excited.
Tasty.
Wests Tigers are a player's managers dream. Everyone is coming to the tigers but after they successfully drive the price up we get nuppin.

TroyJax

Juniors
LUAI’S CLAIMS ON THE NO.7 JERSEY

Jarome Luai is being chased hard by the Tigers and Bulldogs with the Panthers facing a massive fight to retain his services.

The big question is can Luai make the switch from a running five-eighth to a chief organiser in the No.7 hot seat?

However, Ciraldo has known Luai for a long time and has no doubt he has what it takes to be a quality halfback in the NRL.

“Jarome can do anything he wants really,” Ciraldo said.

“He is a quality player who loves footy and he loves his teammates.

“That’s the challenge of someone like that if he is looking for that challenge.

“But I have seen Jarome since he was 17 years old and every challenge that has been thrown at him he has latched onto and gone after it and ultimately succeeded.

His winning ratio in every grade he has played is unbelievable, so yeah Jarome can do anything he wants if he puts his mind to it.”

The Bulldogs have been linked to both Luai and Addin Fonua-Blake and Ciraldo hinted he would be happy to get at least one of the star duo.

“I think we have shown we are in the market for quality players,” Ciraldo said.

“We are very happy with the players we have bought and our long-term mantra is about developing Bulldogs players through our pathways system and we are doing a great job of that.

“We won two of the lower grade titles in Harold Matthews Cup and Jersey Flegg last year and we have got some really good talent coming through there.

“But it is important to have those guys at the top end who can help set the culture and show them what winning looks like every day.

“The good thing is we do have space for more quality talent at the top end and if one of those names come off that is great, but if not we are happy with what we are building.”

Wow, they have just signed 10 players (appreciate not all will on big coin) but they still have room for both Luai and AFB?
WTF is our accountant doing?
Im pretty sure our accountant is a farrier by trade

Ned Kelly

Juniors
One of the big noting dickheads on the Wests Tigers Forum reckons his contacts have said Luai is staying Penrith side.
The guy has a strike rate like an aborted foetus though so dont get too excited.
A little more care and respect for aborted fetuses please.

Nutz

Bench
Tasty.
Wests Tigers are a player's managers dream. Everyone is coming to the tigers but after they successfully drive the price up we get nuppin.
Still, if this is all we get, it's a slight upgrade on last year.

Tigerm

Coach
NBTW twitter:

Danny Weidler reports Haumole Olakau’atu, who was linked with WT if he reached free agency, has re-signed with Manly on an 8 year, $8 million dollar deal

$1m a year for a SR for 8 years, no one should complain about our offer to Luai?

Tigerm

Coach
NBTW twitter:

Telegraph reports Shawn Blore will join the Melbourne Storm in 2025. The Storm will look to use him on an edge and move Loiero into the middle

Vic Mackey

Referee

Gus is a strange dude. I dont doubt he has more rugby league knowledge then eveyrone on here put together however he also has some shockers.

I dont know how much credit he deserves for penriths current success, maybe alot, maybe none. However I know his vision of a Penrith dynasty was with Moylan, Mansour, DWZ, Cartwright, Blake, RCG etc as he had them all on massive longterm deals. It wasnt until Penrith offloaded all these guys (and fitted a lot of the bill) that they came good.

I remember listening to a segment on MMM years ago where the panel were talking about interactions with him. Matty Johns said Gus once said to him 'you sign them all and fit them in later' re the managing of the salary cap. This often results in big payouts with probably works when you have the backing of a massive Leagues Club or Billionaire major Sponsor. I know of an ex Tiger who got his entire contract paid out by Gus a year or so ago, he told me at a Tigers game. Ryan Girlder said he was an odd coach, would often call the night before a game at 10pm (back in the landline days) and simply say 'how you feeling about tomorrow?' Girds would say 'good' and Gus would just go 'good' and hang up.

WA Tiger

Bench
NBTW twitter:

Danny Weidler reports Haumole Olakau’atu, who was linked with WT if he reached free agency, has re-signed with Manly on an 8 year, $8 million dollar deal

$1m a year for a SR for 8 years, no one should complain about our offer to Luai?
The difference is There’s no guessing what the big O’s going to bring.

Tigerm

Coach
Gus is a strange dude. I dont doubt he has more rugby league knowledge then eveyrone on here put together however he also has some shockers.

I dont know how much credit he deserves for penriths current success, maybe alot, maybe none. However I know his vision of a Penrith dynasty was with Moylan, Mansour, DWZ, Cartwright, Blake, RCG etc as he had them all on massive longterm deals. It wasnt until Penrith offloaded all these guys (and fitted a lot of the bill) that they came good.

I remember listening to a segment on MMM years ago where the panel were talking about interactions with him. Matty Johns said Gus once said to him 'you sign them all and fit them in later' re the managing of the salary cap. This often results in big payouts with probably works when you have the backing of a massive Leagues Club or Billionaire major Sponsor. I know of an ex Tiger who got his entire contract paid out by Gus a year or so ago, he told me at a Tigers game. Ryan Girlder said he was an odd coach, would often call the night before a game at 10pm (back in the landline days) and simply say 'how you feeling about tomorrow?' Girds would say 'good' and Gus would just go 'good' and hang up.

Maybe, it’s the scatter gun approach, you’re bound to hit something?