What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Who says he has to ? We give him his $1.1 m in 2024 and Penrith wipes their hands with him and save their $0.6 m payment for 2024. Simples .
Who says he has too? The poster I was responding was to.

I agree that your suggestion above is more likely to occur and has some elegance.

Anyway, one of our posters who often seems to have good nod has suggested their might be a twist still in this particular tale. So still plenty of column inches to be written about Jarome, potentially this side of Xmas!!!

Tigerm

First Grade
I can’t see there is a way he leaves Penrith for the same salary he is on today; even for a year. That would defeat the purpose.
No one is saying he's leaving Penrith, it was a hypothetical question?
I don't think we would consider it, unless he walked out for some reason, I would assume?
We wouldn't be the ones encouraging him to leave though?
But, imo, why would we pay extra for '24 if he was punted?
Or unless Penrith wanted to release him for some sort of deal?

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I don't think we would consider it, unless he walked out for some reason, I would assume?
Luai wants out of the Panthers because he hates Ivan. 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-Is that the Panthers forum going off
istockphoto-807190674-612x612.jpg

MugaB

Coach
But, imo, why would we pay extra for '24 if he was punted?
Or unless Penrith wanted to release him for some sort of deal?
Woof?

Tigerm

First Grade
I don't know, I see you guys are believing it, but as I said on your site, you only have a trade option for 24? After that he's a free agent?
Remember what Gordon Tallis did?

Anyway, we'll see what happens?

Nutz

Bench
Apparently a better offer? Can’t blame him for that.
I hope the kiwi guy Alaimalo can deliver, though we have a few options for 25 I think?
Good on WT for having the foresight of looking to sign Tupou ages ago when there were indications that Tupou was going.
Now were get a gun winger at half the price and we can put our money where it's needed.
We can't get into a bargaining dual over a winger who isn't a marquee player.
I don't want to lose Tupou, it's a mistake, but as long as we move fwd I'm happy.
All we need now is for Solomon Alaimalo to find his feet quickly and he'll go well.

Tigerm

First Grade

Ned Kelly

Juniors
As a counter balance to that moron Blocker Fittler has a different opinion.

Gee, I wonder who Jerome or anyone else would think makes more sense.

Even at $1.2 million a season, Jarome Luai doesn’t need to be Nathan Cleary in the Wests Tigers No.7 jersey. Not least because he will have Api Koroisau right alongside him at No.9.

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary seemed to have done just that when he said rival clubs would be taking a risk on Luai as a seven-figure, chief playmaker – a comment duly met with the famous “know your worth” Instagram post from Luai.
Cleary only said what plenty of observ
ers have uttered before and since. But with Benji Marshall pitching to make Luai his No.7 and main man on an eye-watering $6 million, five-year deal, Fittler sees plenty of reason for it to work.

”I think [Luai] thrives on people suggesting he can’t do something,” Fittler told this masthead. “I’d suggest he’ll find a way to do it. He puts up with a lot, Jarome, and he seems to have that ability to use it to push himself.
“And with Nathan Cleary, he obviously brings a lot of the traditional halfback play while Daly Cherry-Evans, Jahrome Hughes, Sam Walker, they bring a different [style], don’t they?

“You do have to tick certain game management boxes but as long as your playmaking spine, between the three of you, has them covered, there’s no reason why [Luai] couldn’t be a halfback.

“If you look at Api in particular, so much of their game is played off him, and he can do what it might take other teams two players to do, that freeing-the-ruck-up side of things. Api can do that pretty much on his own.
“I think it’s about having a group or a spine of players to get those basics right more than just one player.”
Luai himself told this masthead in May that he “relished” his role as Samoa’s chief playmaker at last year’s World Cup, steering the island nation to a final opposite Cleary’s Kangaroos.
While the Bulldogs and former Panthers assistant coach Cameron Ciraldo remain an option given no contract has been signed, the Tigers are the firm front-runners to land Luai from the end of 2024.
A long-term playmaking spine of Jahream Bula (signed until the end of 2027), Luai, Koroisau (2026) and one of Latu Fainu, Jayden Sullivan or Adam Doueihi holds tremendous potential, to say the least.

As Luai, 26, enters his playmaking prime, Marshall offers as good a sounding board as any coach could on either balancing or transitioning between off-the-cuff play and game management.
“Benji did it himself, didn’t he?” Fittler said. “Benji wasn’t a traditional halfback, but he ended up playing halfback his way.
“Some of Benji’s best footy was at the end [of his career] and he was playing a completely different role. He’s a great example of the possibilities here. And again, Jarome’s just never had that responsibility. So I think there’s a lot of just assuming he can’t do it, just because he’s never had to.
“And Jarome does have a really nice [long] kick on him. Maybe not as far as Nathan Cleary. Traditionally, that kicking game is the halfback’s job, and I’m sure [Luai] could do it. He’s had arguably the best teacher right there too by playing next to [Cleary], one of the best at it”.

Nutz

Bench

Even at $1.2 million a season, Jarome Luai doesn’t need to be Nathan Cleary in the Wests Tigers No.7 jersey. Not least because he will have Api Koroisau right alongside him at No.9.

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary seemed to have done just that when he said rival clubs would be taking a risk on Luai as a seven-figure, chief playmaker – a comment duly met with the famous “know your worth” Instagram post from Luai.
ers have uttered before and since. But with Benji Marshall pitching to make Luai his No.7 and main man on an eye-watering $6 million, five-year deal, Fittler sees plenty of reason for it to work.

”I think [Luai] thrives on people suggesting he can’t do something,” Fittler told this masthead. “I’d suggest he’ll find a way to do it. He puts up with a lot, Jarome, and he seems to have that ability to use it to push himself.
“And with Nathan Cleary, he obviously brings a lot of the traditional halfback play while Daly Cherry-Evans, Jahrome Hughes, Sam Walker, they bring a different [style], don’t they?

“You do have to tick certain game management boxes but as long as your playmaking spine, between the three of you, has them covered, there’s no reason why [Luai] couldn’t be a halfback.

“If you look at Api in particular, so much of their game is played off him, and he can do what it might take other teams two players to do, that freeing-the-ruck-up side of things. Api can do that pretty much on his own.
“I think it’s about having a group or a spine of players to get those basics right more than just one player.”
Luai himself told this masthead in May that he “relished” his role as Samoa’s chief playmaker at last year’s World Cup, steering the island nation to a final opposite Cleary’s Kangaroos.
While the Bulldogs and former Panthers assistant coach Cameron Ciraldo remain an option given no contract has been signed, the Tigers are the firm front-runners to land Luai from the end of 2024.
A long-term playmaking spine of Jahream Bula (signed until the end of 2027), Luai, Koroisau (2026) and one of Latu Fainu, Jayden Sullivan or Adam Doueihi holds tremendous potential, to say the least.

As Luai, 26, enters his playmaking prime, Marshall offers as good a sounding board as any coach could on either balancing or transitioning between off-the-cuff play and game management.
“Benji did it himself, didn’t he?” Fittler said. “Benji wasn’t a traditional halfback, but he ended up playing halfback his way.
“Some of Benji’s best footy was at the end [of his career] and he was playing a completely different role. He’s a great example of the possibilities here. And again, Jarome’s just never had that responsibility. So I think there’s a lot of just assuming he can’t do it, just because he’s never had to.
“And Jarome does have a really nice [long] kick on him. Maybe not as far as Nathan Cleary. Traditionally, that kicking game is the halfback’s job, and I’m sure [Luai] could do it. He’s had arguably the best teacher right there too by playing next to [Cleary], one of the best at it”.
Did you write all that mate. Very inciteful.
As far as Penrith are concerned I would be as humble as I can. Talking yourself up sets you up for ridicule and criticism if and when you fail.
Keeping low allows the bullet to sail over your head.
For the life of me I can't understand Ivan's remarks about a player who driven by proving people wrong, it's how Luai was raised.
Talk about poking the bull. Ivan didn't make peace either which was the final nail.

Tigerm

First Grade
The pennies site, have gone from:
He won’t go
He’s a prick for wanting out
He’ll go to the dogs
He’s going to the tiges
He’s going to the dogs and they want to swap Burton for him
One of them is bound to be right? Hahaha

JohnnyThailand

Juniors
I don't want Luai to come in 2024 for a dif reason.

What Penrith is doing right now is unfathomable. They're in the drivers seat to win 4 premiership in a row. This is the stuff of legacy, where our grandkids will be asking us about how good this team truly was. Yeah, right now it's smug and smugger. But one day we'll look back and realise this is a once in a lifetime team we're witnessing.

Besides, he's shoulders currently screwed. And Tigers medical doesn't have a good history of players recovering to their pre-injury level.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The pennies site, have gone from:
He won’t go
He’s a prick for wanting out
He’ll go to the dogs
He’s going to the tiges
He’s going to the dogs and they want to swap Burton for him
One of them is bound to be right? Hahaha
We are winning the comp next year with or without him.we couldn't care less

Tigerm

First Grade

What Penrith is doing right now is unfathomable. They're in the drivers seat to win 4 premiership in a row. This is the stuff of legacy, where our grandkids will be asking us about how good this team truly was. Yeah, right now it's smug and smugger. But one day we'll look back and realise this is a once in a lifetime team we're witnessing.

Besides, he's shoulders currently screwed. And Tigers medical doesn't have a good history of players recovering to their pre-injury level.
Yep, though not sure I agree with your last comment, it’s hard to assess injuries and their seriousness from here?

Nutz

Bench

Good points.
If benji can keep the team focussed and developing next year then Luai can stay at Pamfers.
The next couple of years is so important because not long after that a host of quality players come off contract and the last thing we want is to rebuild from scratch again.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Tigerm

First Grade

Another one, starting to worry, we normally don’t get so much positive news?

Tigerm

First Grade
About to miss out again by the looks. Hope I'm wrong
Yeah, I see that, but it’s mainly coming from your end, from what I can see?
And some of it based on an innocuous photo Gould put on twitter, that doesn’t say anything?
I say again, your bargaining chip is only for 24, after that Luai is a free agent?
Though, I do agree, there are so many mixed messages, I was under the impression we had tabled our offer, now it’s being said we haven’t, so I got no idea what the f**k is going on, I’ll just wait for the tigers or dogs site to tell us?

Just click bait for us poor unfortunates at the tiges and the dogs.

Last edited:

Latest posts