What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yes, but will his ACL hold out?
Imo, he didn’t offer value for his salary, even when fit.
I just don’t see him being worth a roster spot.
He certainly was disappointing for usespecially when he showed immense promise at souths.If he wants to continue his career in the NRL he has to start performing for us & im willing to back him albeit I will likely have egg on face.

Agree, but do you think he will make much of a difference?
Well he's motivated I hope his knees hold out and he can concentrate on his speed (we need a motivated centre). Cannot see him playing anywhere else though. Wears his heart on his sleeve though and combined with his motivation he just may finally come good. But would shock me.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Tigers hold emergency meeting with Galvin as Sullivan, Naden given permission to leave
By Adrian Proszenko
June 12, 2024 — 7.04pm

Wests Tigers have granted Bud Sullivan and Brent Naden permission to explore deals with rival clubs as chief executive Shane Richardson met with Lachlan Galvin in a bid to placate the unsettled star.

The Richardson rebuild is well underway, with the veteran administrator seeking to overhaul the roster of the wooden spooners. The Tigers have allowed Asu Kepaoa to leave immediately for the Panthers, while Isaiah Papali’i will join the premiers from next season.

There could be more Tigers on the move, with Sullivan and Naden being informed they have permission to leave if they get a suitable offer elsewhere.

Sullivan is contracted until the end of 2027, but his pathway to first grade is limited given Galvin’s emergence and the arrival of Jarome Luai next year. The Tigers will honour Sullivan’s contract should he not find a suitable destination, but would be willing to pay part of his freight should he become an attractive proposition to a rival.

The same situation applies to Naden, who is contracted for next season.

One player the Tigers won’t be letting go is Galvin. The Tigers want to build the club around Galvin and Luai, but the challenge is convincing the former that better times are ahead. To that end, Richardson met with Galvin on Wednesday at the family’s home in south-western Sydney, where he reiterated the teenager is the cornerstone of revival plans.

Richardson declined to comment when contacted on Wednesday night, but has previously told this masthead that he won’t be granting rising half’s latest request for a release.

Galvin is only 18 and has already experienced a rollercoaster of an NRL career.

After recovering from the setback of being told as a junior he wasn’t wanted at Parramatta - the club he adored - Galvin has been a perennial winner. All up, he has won 11 grand finals: three with Eaglevale-St Andrews Magpies in the Western Suburbs junior district; four with Wentworthville, with whom he never lost a game; three at Westfields Sports High including last year’s decider, a Harold Matthews premiership; and a Buckley Shield triumph and a national championships against Palm Beach Currumbin.

However, the euphoria that came with Galvin’s NRL debut in round two - and early wins against Cronulla and Parramatta - has quickly dissipated. The Tigers have lost nine subsequent games and are favourites to secure a third-straight wooden spoon.

Galvin has struggled through the latter losses with a fractured hand and will be rested for Saturday’s clash with the Titans.

Several clubs have been monitoring the situation should he become a free agent, but it is a moot point for the Tigers, who have no intention of letting him go.

Richardson has been active since taking on the top job last year. He has signed Luai and Sunia Turuva from the Panthers, embarked on a mission to England in a bid to sign a player of interest and is trying to move on several players signed by the previous administration.

Sullivan has struggled to cement a first-grade spot and has been overlooked for the Tigers game, in favour of the new-look Aidan Sezer-Apisai Koroisau halves pairing for the Gold Coast match.

Tigerm

First Grade
Geez we f**ked up with a bunch of signings again and have to rebuild. What about Latu Fainu as well. Where does he fit into the team ?
I think it was thought earlier that Galvin was destined for the 13 jumper.
That put Latu in the 7 or 6, depending what Luia wants, I guess.
But who knows now, with all the shit talk about Galvin. Though I do think that will settle down.
Getting a season or two with Luia should be all he is thinking about.

Nutz

Bench
I think it was thought earlier that Galvin was destined for the 13 jumper.
That put Latu in the 7 or 6, depending what Luia wants, I guess.
But who knows now, with all the shit talk about Galvin. Though I do think that will settle down.
Getting a season or two with Luia should be all he is thinking about.
People are talking about looking after the kid...well he is too slight a frame to be a ball playing lock as he'd be targeted in D and would get smashed. I'd run straight at him all day.

Tigerm

First Grade
People are talking about looking after the kid...well he is too slight a frame to be a ball playing lock as he'd be targeted in D and would get smashed. I'd run straight at him all day.
He's 18, he will grow and bulk up, if he does take that route.

Victor Radley, is 26, slightly smaller and 7 kgs heavier. I reckon Gal could put that weight on over the next year or so. He may not have finished growing yet, either.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
He's 18, he will grow and bulk up, if he does take that route.

Victor Radley, is 26, slightly smaller and 7 kgs heavier. I reckon Gal could put that weight on over the next year or so. He may not have finished growing yet, either.
i don't think so, Galvin is an athlete running type player. Radley is a solid boned bloke, two different body shapes.
I could be wrong, often am.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade

I worry about moving him anywhere apart from the 6 position. If he bulked up though he could fill that 13 role.

Nutz

Bench
I worry about moving him anywhere apart from the 6 position. If he bulked up though he could fill that 13 role.
I'm not disagreeing with that at all, but he's got a lot of development to do if thats the case.
Most edge players can and do play middle. There's no hiding in the fwds.
Have a look at Angus Crichton and Hudson Young, I take those two in a heartbeat and tell Galvin to play outside Luai or piss off.
His value to us and to other clubs is his pace and jinking at pace.
Remember in the early rds when he burnt parra on the outside then turned the ball inside to Bula to score.... that's what the guys is worth and he should concentrate in speed training and not playing 13.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
If Lachlan is with us next year and plays outside Luia it will be one of the best pairing in the league. He needs to hang in there.
He predominantly caries the ball in his left hand because he's got a good rand hand fend and looks inside to the right for support.. next year Jarome plays mainly on the left side so Lachlan needs to learn to carry the ball in both hands and work on being vesatile.
We were taught that to get over your dominant side preferences is to carry the ball out in front of the body in both hands....this also put the D in two minds in where he's going or passing too.
Most top halfs, ⅝ do this

Latest posts