What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

WA Tiger

Bench
I saw another dud, repeat set kick, from Galvin…He can’t get it through or it’s too heavy.. That’s about 3-4 consecutive over a couple of games. I only saw snippets of after we folded. I’m assuming near zero repeat set kicks from Galvin. I wondered what the solution to this log jam of halves was . I hadn’t considered Latu and Luai in the halves..Latu is mentally tough

Pezz70

Juniors
I saw another dud, repeat set kick, from Galvin…He can’t get it through or it’s too heavy.. That’s about 3-4 consecutive over a couple of games. I only saw snippets of after we folded. I’m assuming near zero repeat set kicks from Galvin. I wondered what the solution to this log jam of halves was . I hadn’t considered Latu and Luai in the halves..Latu is mentally tough
I’ve only seen a couple of Latu’s game in NSW cup, bog average.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

The Wests Tigers have promised to extend the contract of boom teenager Lachlan Galvin beyond 2026 if he decides to drop a request for an immediate release from the NRL strugglers.

As coach Benji Marshall faces a halves crisis with Galvin and No.7 Jayden Sullivan to both miss Saturday’s clash against the Titans, Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson has offered Galvin’s management an immediate upgrade and longer deal.

The peace offering was made after Galvin asked the club last week to be released from the remainder of his deal, a blow for the Tigers before they suffered their ninth straight loss in a 54-12 hammering at the hands of the Dragons on Friday night.
Galvin’s inquiry was nothing new for the Tigers.

His management had asked for a release even before the season began, but after being handed his NRL debut in round two, the 18-year-old has been the shining light for the Tigers in another torrid season.
But it hasn’t stopped him agitating for a new NRL club, the latest question swiftly knocked back by the Tigers.

Instead, Richardson has told Galvin’s manager, Isaac Moses, it will offer fresh terms beyond the end of his current deal – due to expire at the end of 2026 – if the Australian Schoolboys star stays put at Concord.

While no clubs are allowed to speak to Galvin about his future from next year given he’s still under contract at the Tigers, multiple sources not allowed to speak publicly on the matter said the player is interested in the possibility of lining up alongside Nathan Cleary in the halves at Penrith.

There is no suggestion the Panthers or any other club has raised the issue of prying Galvin away from the Tigers with Moses.
Cleary’s current halves lieutenant, Jarome Luai, will join the Tigers on a mammoth five-year deal from 2025, and the club had earmarked Galvin as his long-term scrumbase partner.
The Galvin drama comes after the Tigers agreed to release Isaiah Papali’i from the final year of his deal to join Penrith from 2025, and having tabled prop Stefano Utoikamanu a five-year, $4 million offer if he doesn’t take up an option to become a free agent.
Utoikamanu must play the final two Origin games this year to be contracted to the Tigers next season. Otherwise, he’s free to talk to rival clubs.
What is certain, though, is the Tigers will rest Galvin from their showdown with the Titans at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday as he battles a hand injury which has required pain-killing injections in recent weeks.

Tigerm

First Grade
And the plan is to build from our juniors ?

How long would a stand out Tigers junior want to stay if Galvin wants out half way through his rookie season?
I haven’t been looking at this, but has Galvin actually said he wants to leave, or is it just paper or his manager saying this shit?

Nutz

Bench
Just looking through the 6’s and it might be a case that Galvin wouldn’t even be the starting 6 at another club, handy backup though.
Agree, he's still learning how to play against NRL STD players. I've been harping on about giving this guy as much game time as possible and I stand by this however the young bloke is getting needled up to play and that is wrong. If he's injured then we need to look after him.
Get your boots ready Old Time Tiger, we're needed :)

simmo05

Bench
The kid has asked to leave last year, asked to leave again this year. This has got turdesco mk2 written all over it. Stick the ungrateful merkin in reserves and let him piss off in 2 years when his contract expires. Better off putting the investment dollars into fainu

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I'm guessing his manager knows the Panthers and Roosters are interested and Galvin would gladly go for at least $200 k less than what the Tigers could offer.

Tigerm

First Grade

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘We let players go seven years ago and never recovered’: Why Richo will fight to keep Tigers stars
By Michael Chammas
June 10, 2024 — 7.45pm

Wests Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson has declared the club will have $2 million of salary cap space to enter the player market next year if prop Stefano Utoikamanu turns down a five-year extension.

The Tigers boss also sent a warning shot to rival NRL clubs eyeing boom playmaker Lachlan Galvin, as he prepares to sit down with the teenager’s family this week to convince them his future is at the joint venture club.

Richardson recently returned to Australia after a two-week trip to the United Kingdom, where he tried to arrange deals with Super League clubs for some of the players the Tigers are willing to offload. Several players have been presented with offers, but have yet to agree terms.

During his trip away the club tabled a five-year, $4 million deal to Utoikamanu in the hope of negating a State of Origin and top-eight clause in his current contract that could result in him become a free agent in the coming weeks.

A clause in Utoikamanu’s contract allows him to become a free agent in 2025 if the Tigers miss the top eight in 2023 and 2024. The Tigers finished with the wooden spoon last year and are running last this season.

However, the free agency clause will be void if Utoikamanu represents NSW twice by the end of 2024. Utoikamanu played one game for NSW in last year’s Origin series.

“If he rejects our offer I’ll know we’re in trouble,” Richardson said. “If he does, it makes me a very rich man. I’ve got a million dollars in salary cap at the moment, if Stefano leaves I’ll have another million dollars in the salary cap. I’ll be a very dangerous man in the marketplace.

That’s not what we want. What we want is Stefano to stay. I want to work our way through that. Hanging around until the end of the season is not the way to go.”

The Tigers are bracing for Utoikamanu’s agent to request permission to negotiate with rival clubs if the prop forward misses out on State of Origin selection in game two.

More pressing is the future of Galvin, whose manager last week lodged the latest of many release attempts over the past few months.

“Well, he’s got a contract, it’s very simple. He’s got two more years under contract, and we intend to keep him to the contract,” Richardson said.

“This club let players go away seven years ago and we’ve never recovered. I’m going to see his mum and dad this week. And I’ll have a chat with them about it all and where he’s going. But some of the promises I’ve made to him since I got here have been kept. He’s in first grade. He’s at five eighth, which I think they doubted he would be.

“There’s a whole lot of head banging in his ears. He’s become great overnight and a champion and I understand that and then everybody’s in his ear saying, ‘You could be here’. I will say this to any club out there that thinks they can chase Lachie Galvin: There’s a thing called anti-tampering.

“And if you think for one minute, for one minute, I won’t to take it to the NRL, you’re kidding yourself. No doubt it’s happening. But I’ve got to get proof. But if I get proof, we’ll take it to them.”

Richardson insists the team’s position at the foot of the ladder is where he expected them to be at this stage, given the lack of depth in the roster.

However, he believes the arrival of Jarome Luai will be the circuit-breaker.

“No doubt,” he said. “Are you kidding? Have you seen him play? [People saying] that he couldn’t play halfback and won’t lead the team around. He’s killed it in two game at halfback [for Penrith]. He’s playing better than he did at five eighth. He wants to be a leader on the field. He wants to lead players around.

“Jarome Luai is a once-in-a-lifetime halfback. This club was so fortunate to have got him. Then we get the speed on the wing with Turuva. We’ve got some great young kids out wide coming through.

“We’re not in a bad space whatsoever. We’ll fight our way back. No one ever believed Souths would be great again, but they were. Hopefully, Galvin could lead us, like [John] Sutton did, into that greatness.”

Pezz70

Juniors

The Wests Tigers have promised to extend the contract of boom teenager Lachlan Galvin beyond 2026 if he decides to drop a request for an immediate release from the NRL strugglers.

As coach Benji Marshall faces a halves crisis with Galvin and No.7 Jayden Sullivan to both miss Saturday’s clash against the Titans, Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson has offered Galvin’s management an immediate upgrade and longer deal.

The peace offering was made after Galvin asked the club last week to be released from the remainder of his deal, a blow for the Tigers before they suffered their ninth straight loss in a 54-12 hammering at the hands of the Dragons on Friday night.
Galvin’s inquiry was nothing new for the Tigers.

His management had asked for a release even before the season began, but after being handed his NRL debut in round two, the 18-year-old has been the shining light for the Tigers in another torrid season.
But it hasn’t stopped him agitating for a new NRL club, the latest question swiftly knocked back by the Tigers.

Instead, Richardson has told Galvin’s manager, Isaac Moses, it will offer fresh terms beyond the end of his current deal – due to expire at the end of 2026 – if the Australian Schoolboys star stays put at Concord.

While no clubs are allowed to speak to Galvin about his future from next year given he’s still under contract at the Tigers, multiple sources not allowed to speak publicly on the matter said the player is interested in the possibility of lining up alongside Nathan Cleary in the halves at Penrith.

There is no suggestion the Panthers or any other club has raised the issue of prying Galvin away from the Tigers with Moses.
Cleary’s current halves lieutenant, Jarome Luai, will join the Tigers on a mammoth five-year deal from 2025, and the club had earmarked Galvin as his long-term scrumbase partner.
The Galvin drama comes after the Tigers agreed to release Isaiah Papali’i from the final year of his deal to join Penrith from 2025, and having tabled prop Stefano Utoikamanu a five-year, $4 million offer if he doesn’t take up an option to become a free agent.
Utoikamanu must play the final two Origin games this year to be contracted to the Tigers next season. Otherwise, he’s free to talk to rival clubs.
What is certain, though, is the Tigers will rest Galvin from their showdown with the Titans at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday as he battles a hand injury which has required pain-killing injections in recent weeks.
Been saying for weeks the kid needed a break, plenty of blokes disagreeing, but it was obvious the kid was jaded, and there were indications that he had been playing injured. He’s been getting bashed every week. Look where he is mentally now??? Nutz?

Tiger05

First Grade
Been saying for weeks the kid needed a break, plenty of blokes disagreeing, but it was obvious the kid was jaded, and there were indications that he had been playing injured. He’s been getting bashed every week. Look where he is mentally now??? Nutz?

I still disagree. We need to win games. If he is that weak mentally we should let him go. I hope that story is BS though and he stays and turns into a quality NRL player.

Tigerm

First Grade
He’s playing in the toughest league in the world, while it would have been nice, to give him a spell, we haven’t had that type of opportunity, with suspensions and injuries.
Not forgetting that he has had a two week vacation.
As for him playing injured, every player does.

I am thinking it’s more about his manager chasing a bigger payday, which I understand Richo is going to give him.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘I don’t care’: The blunt Luai response which will hearten Tigers fans
By Dan Walsh
June 11, 2024 — 5.00am

In the nicest, or maybe just the bluntest, way possible, Jarome Luai isn’t interested in discussing his future halves partner Lachlan Galvin wanting out of the Tigers.

Or that Stefano Utoikamanu is thinking the same way, despite having a five-year, $4 million offer to stay.

“I don’t really care what’s going on over there at the moment,” the Panthers five-eighth says. “I’m worried about winning my fourth [premiership] ring here, so that’s what matters to me. I’m not too worried about that.”

The Tigers have worries coming out of the walls at Concord, but Luai offers sorely needed relief as he fills out Nathan Cleary’s No.7 jumper for the premiers at the moment.

He’ll earn $6 million over the next five years as the Tigers halfback from next season, with Benji Marshall and Shane Richardson staking the club’s turnaround on Luai as the mother of all statement signings.

His performances on both sides of the ball speak to a confidence Ivan Cleary has rarely seen from one of the game’s most confident figures, with Luai’s running game and other key involvements off the charts against the Warriors, Sharks and Sea Eagles.

Especially compared to the last time he played halfback in Cleary’s absence three years ago. In three games steering the Panthers around en route to their 2021 title, Luai ran the ball 20 times for a combined 95 metres.

These past three weeks, he has run 49 times for 424 metres, with two tries, two assists and 18 tackle busts to boot.

“I really know I have to step up without [Cleary] being there so I’m relishing that role,” Luai says. “I’ve just got to be more hands on I think, especially with the kicking and the direction of where we’re going as a team and how our sets are looking … I had a bit of a slow start this year and I think that was more to do with my shoulder surgery.

“This being my last year [at Penrith], it’s the last ride and I want to make sure I have my best year.”

In Penrith’s entertaining 32-22 win over Manly on Sunday, Luai was in absolutely everything, niggling Luke Brooks into a defensive lapse, forcing another error with contact on Tof Sipley and bundling Jason Saab into touch.

Afterwards, Brad Fittler was left raving about Luai’s running game, constantly shifting Penrith’s attack from left to right, skipping across the line and dragging reluctant defenders in.

Luai’s crossfield searching can exasperate fans at times, particularly behind a struggling pack. But even for a 12-man NSW side last Wednesday night, tries to James Tedesco and Zac Lomax followed Luai turning on a dime and taking a hard right with left-edge plays.

Of course, steering the Penrith ship might just be the best job in rugby league.

Tigers skipper Api Koroisau can tell his old premiership-winning teammate how quickly life changes when you move across town and down the other end of the ladder.

The Tigers are bullish about hanging onto Galvin despite the 18-year-old’s numerous release requests. CEO Shane Richardson is ready to offer an immediate upgrade and longer deal beyond 2026 to keep him.

In the nicest way possible, Richardson and rookie coach Marshall’s challenges seem to be growing by the day.

But so did Penrith’s a month ago, when Cleary tore his hamstring against the Bulldogs after back-up No.7 Brad Schneider had gone down with a knee injury earlier that night.

“It was a real opportunity for [Luai],” Ivan Cleary says, “not just an opportunity for him though, we needed him. He’s absolutely stepped up and played really well.”

In his own words, Luai has relished it.

Tigerm

First Grade
The question is will it work out for us.
If he doesn’t want to work with Luai next season, then he’s not being serious, imo.
We have some serious players coming next year, whether it’s enough, we’ll have to wait and find out, but he has a great opportunity.

Tigerm

First Grade
‘I don’t care’: The blunt Luai response which will hearten Tigers fans
By Dan Walsh
June 11, 2024 — 5.00am

In the nicest, or maybe just the bluntest, way possible, Jarome Luai isn’t interested in discussing his future halves partner Lachlan Galvin wanting out of the Tigers.

Or that Stefano Utoikamanu is thinking the same way, despite having a five-year, $4 million offer to stay.

“I don’t really care what’s going on over there at the moment,” the Panthers five-eighth says. “I’m worried about winning my fourth [premiership] ring here, so that’s what matters to me. I’m not too worried about that.”

The Tigers have worries coming out of the walls at Concord, but Luai offers sorely needed relief as he fills out Nathan Cleary’s No.7 jumper for the premiers at the moment.

He’ll earn $6 million over the next five years as the Tigers halfback from next season, with Benji Marshall and Shane Richardson staking the club’s turnaround on Luai as the mother of all statement signings.

His performances on both sides of the ball speak to a confidence Ivan Cleary has rarely seen from one of the game’s most confident figures, with Luai’s running game and other key involvements off the charts against the Warriors, Sharks and Sea Eagles.

Especially compared to the last time he played halfback in Cleary’s absence three years ago. In three games steering the Panthers around en route to their 2021 title, Luai ran the ball 20 times for a combined 95 metres.

These past three weeks, he has run 49 times for 424 metres, with two tries, two assists and 18 tackle busts to boot.

“I really know I have to step up without [Cleary] being there so I’m relishing that role,” Luai says. “I’ve just got to be more hands on I think, especially with the kicking and the direction of where we’re going as a team and how our sets are looking … I had a bit of a slow start this year and I think that was more to do with my shoulder surgery.

“This being my last year [at Penrith], it’s the last ride and I want to make sure I have my best year.”

In Penrith’s entertaining 32-22 win over Manly on Sunday, Luai was in absolutely everything, niggling Luke Brooks into a defensive lapse, forcing another error with contact on Tof Sipley and bundling Jason Saab into touch.

Afterwards, Brad Fittler was left raving about Luai’s running game, constantly shifting Penrith’s attack from left to right, skipping across the line and dragging reluctant defenders in.

Luai’s crossfield searching can exasperate fans at times, particularly behind a struggling pack. But even for a 12-man NSW side last Wednesday night, tries to James Tedesco and Zac Lomax followed Luai turning on a dime and taking a hard right with left-edge plays.

Of course, steering the Penrith ship might just be the best job in rugby league.

Tigers skipper Api Koroisau can tell his old premiership-winning teammate how quickly life changes when you move across town and down the other end of the ladder.

The Tigers are bullish about hanging onto Galvin despite the 18-year-old’s numerous release requests. CEO Shane Richardson is ready to offer an immediate upgrade and longer deal beyond 2026 to keep him.

In the nicest way possible, Richardson and rookie coach Marshall’s challenges seem to be growing by the day.

But so did Penrith’s a month ago, when Cleary tore his hamstring against the Bulldogs after back-up No.7 Brad Schneider had gone down with a knee injury earlier that night.

“It was a real opportunity for [Luai],” Ivan Cleary says, “not just an opportunity for him though, we needed him. He’s absolutely stepped up and played really well.”

In his own words, Luai has relished it.

Good find, thanks for posting @Ron's_Mate
First bit of good news I’ve heard in months.

Latest posts