What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

WA Tiger

Bench
You’ve already figured out how to rort the system with Matulino so just do it with Packer.:bulb:
. There’s nothing to defend here WOD this following post by Simmo is quality humour . He’s saying packers a useless prick which he is..That’s all ..but u missed it
We could lend packer to souffs, they could 'medically retire' him, win win!

Why would Momo wanna re-sign before going to Melbourne? Shows how much the tigers value him when they are trying to ship him off to the other side of the country for 12months.

if the tigers didn’t wanna play him this year I’m sure he would prefer to play for another Sydney club so he can stay close to family instead of the tigers treating him like a hostage and shipping him off to Melbourne without him having any say in it
.Im trying to work out why u 2 are suddenly caring so much about an opposition player ..It’s definitely original....Firstly If he was being shafted so what, If you havn’t been shafted you havnt lived...right ! BUT ..Truth is he hasn’t been shafted he prob had an option of sitting on the sideline or going and winning a premiership ....which would u choose ...

Last edited:

The Rosco

Bench
. There’s nothing to defend here WOD this following post by Simmo is quality humour . He’s saying packers a useless prick which he is..That’s all ..but u missed it

.Im trying to work out why u 2 are suddenly caring so much about an opposition player ..It’s definitely original....Firstly If he was being shafted so what, If you havn’t been shafted you havnt lived...right ! BUT ..Truth is he hasn’t been shafted he prob had an option of sitting on the sideline or going and winning a premiership ....which would u choose ...
. . Yep, WA. When I saw willy old merkin and rhyno both on the same page . . . I turned that page.

Legion

Juniors
I generally agree with your sentiments here Legion, but there is a little bit of divergence. Let me explain.

I get your point about fans not hating Manly as much now that we have non-Sydney clubs in the competition. I have been around long enough to understand that. I don't apply a 'blanket rule' to this. For example, I don't hate Manly at all, even though I do not overly like them. That hasn't changed because of the Broncos, Warriors, etc.

Even though I do not like Brisbane (mainly because of Super League and the fact that John Ribot came from there), there are several Sydney clubs which I dislike a lot more. The main ones, in order, are the Rabble, followed by the Dragons, Bulldogs, and Eels to a lesser extent. In terms of Souths, I would rather any single RL team world wide beat them no matter the circumstances! I feel similarly about the Dragons, although not quite as intensely.

Teams like the Cowboys, Knights, Warriors, Titans, Sharks, Tigers and Panthers I am fairly neutral towards. I don't like Brisbane, Melbourne and Canberra, but this doesn't compare to my nominated Sydney clubs above.

Anyway, this is just my two cents worth. It may not be overly logical, and a lot of it is based on my experiences and interactions with opposition fans (as I have now been to nearly every ground).

I would be interested in your views, even though they should probably come under a new thread.

Finally, Souths supporters whingers. Talk about pointing out the obvious! Hopefully you guys are not just realising that now.
It's funny how our feelings towards some clubs can change.
For many years I almost considered the Eels my 2nd team. Ray Price was one of my favourite players while growing up.
Not any more. What a pack of drop kicks.

Then there's the Bunnies. What type of imbecile would dump Souths, especially when there's a team like the Titans? [Now there's a team that barely registers on my radar]
Souths supporters are amongst the worst [not all off course]

But, I'd always support a Sydney club before Brisbane or Melbourne.
There's two set of rules in the NRL; One set for Melbourne & Brisbane [yeah alright, AND Souths] & another set of rules for the rest of us.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors

we all know that Packer is useless. I got that old mate. There was another jab that I was responding to but you missed it

as to worry about opposition players, once again just highlighting the hypocritical posts from some of your “fanmates”

Souths have built up the expectations now they have to deliver.

They have a world class backline, decent spine but there’s still a few question marks about their pack.

They don’t quite have the dominance they had physically and they look a bit ravaged.

Whether they can handle a very physical side is not quite known.

At the moment, say the raiders would really test them based on their wave shock and awe attack. I think their fullback is a very special young player. We should have pencilled him in, maybe we did?!

I mean you’d even have to fancy us to keep souths honest up the middle. A matter of spoiling and frustrating their positioning. If our forwards are on, they won’t have it all their own way. They will need to adapt.

Last edited:

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Souths have built up the expectations now they have to deliver.

They have a world class backline, decent spine but there’s still a few question marks about their pack.

They don’t quite have the dominance they had physically and they look a bit ravaged.

Whether they can handle a very physical side is not quite known.

At the moment, say the raiders would really test them based on their wave shock and awe attack. I think their fullback is a very special young player. We should have pencilled him in, maybe we did?!

I mean you’d even have to fancy us to keep souths honest up the middle. A matter of spoiling and frustrating their positioning. If our forwards are on, they won’t have it all their own way. They will need to adapt.

I won’t disagree with any of that. Aside from adding that whilst our forwards may be weak the west’s backs are nothing to rave about either

Yes, it is interesting in how we treat the other teams based on different factors. As mentioned, there are some Sydney-based clubs that I dislike much more than the relative newcomers from interstate and overseas, but I think we can agree to disagree on that aspect.

The point made about the rules etc being biased towards Melbourne, Brisbane and Souths is dead set correct IMO.

In terms of Teddy, I don't think it was purely a case of us 'poaching him'. To be fair, I think part of it was due to Teddy looking for an opportunity to progress in his career and potentially winning a competition. At the time, he (quite rightly) felt we had the best chance of the latter materialising, which it obviously did, twice. Nobody could be critical of him or us in that regard surely, but I do understand why you guys are probably somewhat still a bit upset over that.

On Gus's point about the Raiders, I was neutral towards them, but the 2019 grand final and the lead in, given how that club and its officials behaved towards us in particular, changed all of that!

Yes, it is interesting in how we treat the other teams based on different factors. As mentioned, there are some Sydney-based clubs that I dislike much more than the relative newcomers from interstate and overseas, but I think we can agree to disagree on that aspect.

The point made about the rules etc being biased towards Melbourne, Brisbane and Souths is dead set correct IMO.

In terms of Teddy, I don't think it was purely a case of us 'poaching him'. To be fair, I think part of it was due to Teddy looking for an opportunity to progress in his career and potentially winning a competition. At the time, he (quite rightly) felt we had the best chance of the latter materialising, which it obviously did, twice. Nobody could be critical of him or us in that regard surely, but I do understand why you guys are probably somewhat still a bit upset over that.

On Gus's point about the Raiders, I was neutral towards them, but the 2019 grand final and the lead in, given how that club and its officials behaved towards us in particular, changed all of that!

The players are the ones who are disloyal unless they are punted.

Teddy is a creep because he kept putting us down after the f**ker left. He burnt the bridges before sticking his head so far up his arse he stopped breathing.

He will never be a billy slater etc.

He’s a one man circlejerk with himself in the middle.

He might be ok for a roosters premiership, but not one with us!

Last edited:
I won’t disagree with any of that. Aside from adding that whilst our forwards may be weak the west’s backs are nothing to rave about either

Which makes the contest interesting. Injuries will play a factor. Up to 25% of both squads will be out or adversely effected at some stage. It’s the luck of the draw who will fall by the wayside. Take Reynolds out of Souths and there’s profound problems, same with Brooks.

Phil Gould

Juniors
I thought Teddy always wanted to play for the roosters, they were his favorite team growing up. The part I don’t like is that apparently he signed for less money with the roosters. Third party payments are where the imbalance lives in this competition and I think that’s where most hatred for the roosters comes from.

Clubs like Melbourne and Roosters don’t really have local feeder clubs like other teams, so they have to buy players from other teams. It appears, and I may be wrong, that the roosters have the most buying power when it comes to TPP’s, and this builds resentment from other clubs fans, as they seemingly poach talent from them.

I think a discount to the salary cap contribution for long term local players would be great for the game. Parents, family and friends all going to watch their own blood have a shot at the big time. That would build team loyalty for fans and players and get more bums on seats at home games. That’s how it used to be before the big dollars came along, locals supporting their own area, there’s nothing like community spirit to get people involved! This would disadvantage teams that don’t have large, local, talent feeding areas, like roosters and Melbourne, and they seem to have a lot of pull, so it will never happen.

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
PG there is the long term player discount on the cap.

Not sure on the details, but I know we dont carry Lawrence's full salary on cap.

Me personally I would like to see a draft and several free for alls over the year. One half way in and one after the season ends.

Legion

Juniors

It would not have been so bad if Teddy had not bagged us out publicly but to be fair, at the time the club was a mess. Were I a player, I'd have a get-out-clause in the event that a coach like that sneering, whining Jason Taylor was appointed.
Still, one should not air ones dirty laundry in public. Being a Tigers junior I feel that he was just trying to justify his move to the Roosters.

Players need to look after themselves. Now that he's won a couple of premierships, I'm sure that most Tiger fans would forgive Teddy & welcome him back with open arms if he returned one day.
I'd choose him over Slater. I love watching him play.

I'm unsure why anyone would blame Easts for what happened at last years GF.
That one decision from the ref really changed the momentum of the game & Raiders fans had good reason to bitch. [Why couldn't the ref have taken play back to replay the 5th tackle? It was his mistake]

It soured the game for me some but the Raiders had 80 minutes & came up short.
They had a real good crack & can hold their heads up.

gordsy

Juniors
Bit rich to say Teddy isn't good enough to win a premiership with us. We signed a guy who has done time for dog shotting someone in a fight and other for being a grub towards a woman.
Let's not get on our high horses about what Teddy has done.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Which makes the contest interesting. Injuries will play a factor. Up to 25% of both squads will be out or adversely effected at some stage. It’s the luck of the draw who will fall by the wayside. Take Reynolds out of Souths and there’s profound problems, same with Brooks.

I actually don’t agree. Reynolds has been very average for us the last few seasons.

He fails to run the ball to the line and his kicking has been hit or cold. Injury has contributed to this.

It won’t surprise me at all if he’s dropped at some stage this season

Legion

Juniors
I think a discount to the salary cap contribution for long term local players would be great for the game. Parents, family and friends all going to watch their own blood have a shot at the big time. That would build team loyalty for fans and players and get more bums on seats at home games. That’s how it used to be before the big dollars came along, locals supporting their own area, there’s nothing like community spirit to get people involved! This would disadvantage teams that don’t have large, local, talent feeding areas, like roosters and Melbourne, and they seem to have a lot of pull, so it will never happen.

This ^^^^.
A reduction towards the salary cap for each year for players who've been with the club for 5 years, or maybe after 3 years if a club junior whose come through the ranks.
There would have to be a limit of how many players get the discount off course.

Clubs with money or rich benefactors already look after their star players. If I'm not mistaken, Thurston was looked after really well with property, a car & other off the books payments for example.
Melbourne looks after Cam Smith as another.
So there's already an unofficial 'discount' for some players which Greenberg turns a blind eye.

Melbourne needs to develop RL junior clubs in Victoria. They've got plenty of money.
If they did it right they have a huge opportunity to nurture local talent.