What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
Mcinnes would have been awesome for us, but I wasn't holding my breath. We will not be able to sign players of his calibre until we are consistently making finals and finish developing the talent we have.

While it really does suck we missed out on both JAC and McInnes, I think we need to see how 2021 ends before we start chasing big names. My hope is that we scrape through into 9th and develop the nucleus of a finals capable team, to which the positions we need to sign talent for become obvious.

eg. My prediction is that our forward pack stands up, and will match it with the best, but we are going to fall short in several key backline positions. My hope is that at end of 2021, Hartigan will sign some real quality players on the verge of rep honours to fill those spots without breaking the bank

I think he’s an bloody excellent player and the Sharkies got him for unders. A bit too long, but that’s life.

His decision to leave sgi is puzzling because he had that mighty club at his feet. Actually I think it’s a very poor decision and no doubt he’s had the dickheads in his ear.

We had the interest, but let’s be clear, we will decide where a player plays, not the player. This is not a democracy. Madge and Hook are not a counselling unit. We had the players liberation army bullshit last year and the team collapsed. All good in theory but...

Jacs asking price was a joke and I’m glad he opted out. He’d be a 5 times worse signing than McInness.

Old mate could have been a legend at Saints but he tuned out to the positive and went with the negative. It’s his loss.

I’m going to miss his A game. He thinks Hook is a worse coach than Mary? He thinks Morris is better than Hook? He’s a bit of a moron.

Last edited:

Vozzy

Juniors
McInnes would have been good but I'm not 100% sure if Madge has actually been looking at a hooker he mentioned several times last year when asked about Harry Grant that he had Liddle coming back but also kept mentioning Simpkins in the end he probably didn't want 3 hookers on the books. Even if they met which could have been as mates the media would always spin in against us for not signing him. Our focus should be fullback and halfback long term if Brooks doesn't cut it this year. I think they are being patient because MBye and Packer will be off our hands in another 12 months.

McInnes would have been good but I'm not 100% sure if Madge has actually been looking at a hooker he mentioned several times last year when asked about Harry Grant that he had Liddle coming back but also kept mentioning Simpkins in the end he probably didn't want 3 hookers on the books. Even if they met which could have been as mates the media would always spin in against us for not signing him. Our focus should be fullback and halfback long term if Brooks doesn't cut it this year. I think they are being patient because MBye and Packer will be off our hands in another 12 months.

All solid points.

Im looking 1 or 2 seasons ahead. After the pack shines brightly this year, and given our characters, I’m sure we will land a few embittered Marquee.

Funny to hear a few of our rogues talking Madge up. Makes for a quirky environment. It’s a killer pre season, but I want the boys to enjoy their footy as well when it’s starts.

Tigerm

First Grade
Mcinnes would have been awesome for us, but I wasn't holding my breath. We will not be able to sign players of his calibre until we are consistently making finals and finish developing the talent we have.

While it really does suck we missed out on both JAC and McInnes, I think we need to see how 2021 ends before we start chasing big names. My hope is that we scrape through into 9th and develop the nucleus of a finals capable team, to which the positions we need to sign talent for become obvious.

eg. My prediction is that our forward pack stands up, and will match it with the best, but we are going to fall short in several key backline positions. My hope is that at end of 2021, Hartigan will sign some real quality players on the verge of rep honours to fill those spots without breaking the bank
I understand that we did not eventually offer either JAC & McInnes contracts, McInnes only wanted to play 9, so we moved on, I don't think it's about our consistency, it's about money and we don't seem to play that game anymore.

I am not sure how this value pricing strategy will work out for us though, just hope the young guns develop the way they are expected.

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors

POM on the other forum said we didn't even make an offer to McInnes, I'm sure if Madge really wanted him he could have got him, seems like he just wanted to get out of saints no matter what

I honestly expected more players to fall away and shirk off a bit given that we have put them them through the hardest off season on record.

I want to congratulate all of them for staying the distance.

Shout out to Alex whose surrounded by some big talent these days. We know he has quite a game in him and hopefully we see more of it.

Lucy could be anything this year.

Russell will be working hard for his future too. I think the fresh talent will bring him on. He likes to be the big guy. If he goes well, we could make him a more appropriate offer. I’ve seen worse players and you need the odd mental case to instil fear.

The fever!

Last edited:

Tiger Shark

Bench
Well unlucky for him, he might have to wait another 5 years.

Sharks will play more finals footy over the next 5 years than the Tigers will.

We never even offered him a contract, as soon as he expressed his desire to play dummy half Madge wasn't interested

Yet discussions with the Sharks were about playing lock and only lock and any discussions about him playing hooker would have ended any negotiations.

So he's happy to play lock for us, but told the Tigers he only wants to play hooker ?

Tiger Shark

Bench
$500k may be a very good deal, but Sharks reportedly paid $600k?

We’ve had players on 4 year deals, they haven’t gone well. But good luck.

It's closer to 500k but to be honest I think 600k isn't overs considering how much of a need he fills in our squad. Lots of over paid forwards on more than that.

There's certainly a risk with 4 year deals but think you need to take each one on a case by case merit.

Moylan was/is a bad 4 yr deal
Luke Lewis was a good 4yr deal

McInnes being an ultimate professional and no serious history of injuries I thinks worth the risk and feels more like a Luke Lewis 4 yr deal than a Moylan one.

Tigerm

First Grade
It's closer to 500k but to be honest I think 600k isn't overs considering how much of a need he fills in our squad. Lots of over paid forwards on more than that.

There's certainly a risk with 4 year deals but think you need to take each one on a case by case merit.

McInnes being an ultimate professional and no serious history of injuries I thinks worth the risk and feels more like a Luke Lewis 4 yr deal than a Moylan one.
If you say so, don't think it will help you, your club is in crisis, bickering players and a coach getting ready for the axe, may take a few years o recover from all this.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee

Luke Lewis was a NSW and Aus representative when you signed him

McInness has been let go by the last two clubs he was at. Im pretty sure you signed him because he is bascially a John Morris clone

Blackwhitegold

Juniors
Y

You keep living in fantasy land buddy. Sharks will be bottom 3 for at least the next 3 years.