What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

I think Staines will surprise you guys in a positive way. Fullback is his position and with Edwards in front of him he wasn’t going to push through him at Penrith.

Staines at 1, Laurie at 6 and Douehi in the centres (or in Melbourne) will make your team a lot more dynamic (although makes for one terrible defensive edge).

Best of luck to the kid and the Tigers next year; I see next year the team being lower to mid table but lots of good youth coming through across the team (haven’t necessarily been able to say that for a while) so I can see 2024 and beyond being ripper years. Unearth or sign a genuine star and maybe even top 4.

simmo1

First Grade
I think Staines will surprise you guys in a positive way. Fullback is his position and with Edwards in front of him he wasn’t going to push through him at Penrith.

Staines at 1, Laurie at 6 and Douehi in the centres (or in Melbourne) will make your team a lot more dynamic (although makes for one terrible defensive edge).

Best of luck to the kid and the Tigers next year; I see next year the team being lower to mid table but lots of good youth coming through across the team (haven’t necessarily been able to say that for a while) so I can see 2024 and beyond being ripper years. Unearth or sign a genuine star and maybe even top 4.

What skills does Staines bring to fullback? He's got plenty of pace that is an asset on the wing, but I don't see anything in terms of ball playing or particularly strong kick returns. Is he able to organise the defensive line well?

Likewise Laurie at 5/8. What is the upside? He has limited ball playing and no kicking game. His strengths are the high ball and broken field running which are best utilised at fullback. I wouldn't want him defending in the front line either.

I know we have very limited options but 1. Staines 6. Laurie doesn't fill me with much hope at all.

Last edited:

simmo1

First Grade
A lot of Penrith fans were here a couple of years ago were saying they wished they kept Laurie instead of Staines. What has changed?

Tigerm

Coach
I don't know too much about him, but if he is big, fast, can read the play and can tackle, they should be able to do something with him? He obviously wants it, otherwise he wouldn't have come.

I don't know too much about him, but if he is big, fast, can read the play and can tackle, they should be able to do something with him? He obviously wants it, otherwise he wouldn't have come.
He ticks all the boxes, he’s going to be great.

He’s almost the full smug, needs some tinkering and polish, but nothing too drastic.

Not part of the poncey, self entitled, arrogant scrotarians they breed up there.

Because he is a big noting wanker who takes credit for the hard work of others.
He also gets his footy predictions incorrect a lot. NSW, Parra and Samoa are recent examples.
Gus did the grand master review for SGI, recommended f**king Mary get another year.

It was so bad a decision that they had to give Mary two head coach assistants, before he was dragged out the back of the club and shot in the head in the middle of the night.

Gus tells you it’s raining while he’s pissing all over your back.

Gus is Lard.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Maybe we got Staines to play wing? I like Malo and Nofa on our wings. When Nofa is on he's quality and Malo has shown a lot on the wing when he isn't injured. Staines has better pace than both of them though

What skills does Staines bring to fullback? He's got plenty of pace that is an asset on the wing, but I don't see anything in terms of ball playing or particularly strong kick returns. Is he able to organise the defensive line well?

Likewise Laurie at 5/8. What is the upside? He has limited ball playing and no kicking game. His strengths are the high ball and broken field running which are best utilised at fullback. I wouldn't want him defending in the front line either.

I know we have very limited options but 1. Staines 6. Laurie doesn't fill me with much hope at all.
If you look at Staines in the NSW Cup he has been a really good ball player this year, with his speed he can create numbers and he picks the right pass.

Getting Laurie closer to be the big guys would allow him to use his footwork more. Agree his defending needs more work.