What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Hastings would riot with a decent pack. If Brooksy was a cash thing for the knights, we should have considered being a bit more generous.

It wasn’t too long ago, we squandered $380k to get of Mbye.

@Apey and the knights may not realise what an outstanding junior he was and he’s still climbing up.

They have reamed us on this one.

Hastings will love it up there, bigger profile and it’s a pretty nice place.

It’s all done with, klem is ok, but trusting Brooksy is bordering on insanity.

Last edited:
Hastings would riot with a decent pack. If Brooksy was a cash thing for the knights, we should have considered being a bit more generous.

It wasn’t too long ago, we squandered $380k to get of Mbye.

@Apey and the knights may not realise what an outstanding junior he was and he’s still climbing up.

They have reamed us on this one.

Hastings will love it up there, bigger profile and it’s a pretty nice place.

It’s all done with, klem is ok, but trusting Brooksy is bordering on insanity.
You have to hope and expect that Api helps make Brooks better. Looking at Cleary with Cook and Grant passing to him it is easy to see how a hooker that is decisive and crisp in decision making makes a real difference for the halves.

Phil Gould

Juniors
In all honesty, but soi what is Hastings wasn't a fast runner. Players like Perter Sterling, and Hastings old man Kevin Hastings weren't quick runners either, but they knew how to organise a side, had good passing games, and good kicking games, whilst being better than average defenders. You want to tell me that players like the two mentioned were poor because they were more a game manger than a ball runner?

I can accept a coach saying they don't fit a blue print of how they want the side to be, and what qualities they want in a half, but to say it just on pace alone is crazy.

I suspect after reading Michael Chammas' article on the SMH website (see link below), it was more that the Knights couldn't get a deal done with Brooks which would meet his salary demands whilst fitting under the Knights salary cap, whereas they could with Jackson Hastings.

Halves that read the game and manage it accordingly are the most valuable and the rarest IMO. I don’t know much about API’s game but I hope his game management is good enough to make up for what Brooks doesn’t have and Hastings does.

Halves that read the game and manage it accordingly are the most valuable and the rarest IMO. I don’t know much about API’s game but I hope his game management is good enough to make up for what Brooks doesn’t have and Hastings does.
Apis game management and awareness is high calibre, he’s a genuine game breaker.

We all know Brooks can’t handle pressure, he’s prone to long periods of lack of confidence and Madge had to counsel him one on one.

Api is pretty much the opposite.

Whether he can cope with a flat Brooks, we will wreck his game if Brooks doesn’t own up. Api is used to quality and a reliance on a pretty solid Nathan.

On the Brooks side, he hasn’t played with anything like this pack ( with Bateman) has he?

There’s a chance the experiment will work with Brooks whereas with Hastings, dominant and evergreen, leading, I think we would have been far better served.

Especially when Douhie runs off to claim his 900k from a desperate Dolphins or Titans etc.

Im interested to see how Tim is going to use the whole squad next year. I hope he is strategic.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Apis game management and awareness is high calibre, he’s a genuine game breaker.

We all know Brooks can’t handle pressure, he’s prone to long periods of lack of confidence and Madge had to counsel him one on one.

Api is pretty much the opposite.

Whether he can cope with a flat Brooks, we will wreck his game if Brooks doesn’t own up. Api is used to quality and a reliance on a pretty solid Nathan.

On the Brooks side, he hasn’t played with anything like this pack ( with Bateman) has he?

There’s a chance the experiment will work with Brooks whereas with Hastings, dominant and evergreen, leading, I think we would have been far better served.

Especially when Douhie runs off to claim his 900k from a desperate Dolphins or Titans etc.
The spine is obviously key, but you need go forward from the forwards. I tend to think Klemmer for Hastings is an astute piece of business. Klemmer is a metre eater and frankly that is what you need. He will be a very good player for you guys in my opinion.

Adam D for $900k he is dreaming, bog average, his defence is very ordinary, wouldn’t rank in the top 20 halves in the competition.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Adam D hasn’t shown anything to demand anywhere near 900K. He’s dreaming.

I think you need a few different types in your pack and you want a Klemmer type. Bateman gives you some more mongrel but you don’t want to be too out of control. Pappali’i also brings consistent passion but he’s not wild and out of control, which is perfect. Offa is a rock and there is also plenty of size and youth making up the rest of pack, so that’s looking really good. With API hooking and Laurie lingering around the ruck things are starting to get juicy but that’s where it ends. If Brooks can at least get some consistency to his kicking game then that’s a plus but aside from Kenny I don’t rate the outside backs or halves. I like Adam D but he’s no superstar. I like Naden but he’s a lose cannon.

Nathan is solid, delivering to Brooks will be very different. I really like Brooks, I just don’t want him on the team I follow anymore. But you never know, I hope to be surprised.
It’s all sorted so far as we are concerned. No apologies from the club either!

As a person, I have no issues with him either.

Hes just had too many years in the doldrums.

He was dropped from first grade this season too.

Tim thinks he can succeed where Madge failed.

Adam D hasn’t shown anything to demand anywhere near 900K. He’s dreaming.

I think you need a few different types in your pack and you want a Klemmer type. Bateman gives you some more mongrel but you don’t want to be too out of control. Pappali’i also brings consistent passion but he’s not wild and out of control, which is perfect. Offa is a rock and there is also plenty of size and youth making up the rest of pack, so that’s looking really good. With API hooking and Laurie lingering around the ruck things are starting to get juicy but that’s where it ends. If Brooks can at least get some consistency to his kicking game then that’s a plus but aside from Kenny I don’t rate the outside backs or halves. I like Adam D but he’s no superstar. I like Naden but he’s a lose cannon.
A good submission.

I rate Douhie, he’s plays well but he’s still sub marquee.

Tim won’t ask Brooksy to do too much for awhile. He won’t be sending up those stratospheric Nathan hangers. We just want him to kick to the seagulls, not down the throat of Ponga, Gutho or the superb Dylan Edwards.

Edwards is approaching 900k. The smug deal is an insult I think, but they’ve done well to keep him.

Burto is on my wish list. He’s almost the second coming that kid. There’s 900 easily.

Phil Gould

Juniors
A good submission.

I rate Douhie, he’s plays well but he’s still sub marquee.

Tim won’t ask Brooksy to do too much for awhile. He won’t be sending up those stratospheric Nathan hangers. We just want him to kick to the seagulls, not down the throat of Ponga, Gutho or the superb Dylan Edwards.

Edwards is approaching 900k. The smug deal is an insult I think, but they’ve done well to keep him.

Burto is on my wish list. He’s almost the second coming that kid. There’s 900 easily.
Burton would be a wet dream. I’d actually be happy if Brooks stopped kicking out on the full for no reason. Fair enough if he’s gaining monster meters most of the time or setting up tries but …well yeah

We could get a very decent centre for $600k to replace Doueihi and just shift our fullback into the halves.
Dylan Edwards is living proof that you can be a young factory sloth with zero natural talent and almost no special ability and yet, still make it big in fullback city.
He just doesn’t broadcast it to everyone.

He would be ideal. Safe etc. Move Dane to Centre. Dane probably wants $900 too next contract.

Doogie:

Our ugly lot simply have no shame. They all think they are grossly underpaid for their astounding footballing excellence, constantly on the prowl for marquee money.

They can sniff out a weakened or vulnerable club official from 5000 miles away.

Their natural predator in the wild is the common Wests Tigers fan whom they usually overcome easily.

Last edited:

chunk

Juniors
So you think it might finally be happening? After more than a decade? 🤣🤣🤣

I don't thinks it's that funny.

Sheens and Marshall know a good footballer more than most people and seem to believe that Brooks is a better player than Hastings and can turn him into a top quality half back. I think you have to have some faith in them, I'll be enjoying the ride if they do.

This year Andrew Johns was saying he'd love to have Brooks at Newcastle, plenty of potential still. Never heard him say he'd like to have Hastings there.

Real funny.

MugaB

Coach
Dylan Edwards is living proof that you can be a young factory sloth with zero natural talent and almost no special ability and yet, still make it big in fullback city.
He just doesn’t broadcast it to everyone.

He would be ideal. Safe etc. Move Dane to Centre. Dane probably wants $900 too next contract.

Doogie:

Our ugly lot simply have no shame. They all think they are grossly underpaid for their astounding footballing excellence, constantly on the prowl for marquee money.

They can sniff out a weakened or vulnerable club official from 5000 miles away.

Their natural predator in the wild is the common Wests Tigers fan whom they usually overcome easily.
Yep edwards is an average plodder with a Clive Churchill medal wrapped around his neck, dont need to be flashy to be a good footy player..
Geez i hope the tigers made out the better deal, but swapping hastings (probably your best effort player) with klemmer (also effort, but with more muscle, and less brains) could be another backward step...
Id agree douhei seem a greedy little European, id be buying 3 players for the cash he wants, and not swaping Hastings... but im not a tigers fan, i am an admirer tho, and i wish you guys do well... can only rise from here

Yep edwards is an average plodder with a Clive Churchill medal wrapped around his neck, dont need to be flashy to be a good footy player..
Geez i hope the tigers made out the better deal, but swapping hastings (probably your best effort player) with klemmer (also effort, but with more muscle, and less brains) could be another backward step...
Id agree douhei seem a greedy little European, id be buying 3 players for the cash he wants, and not swaping Hastings... but im not a tigers fan, i am an admirer tho, and i wish you guys do well... can only rise from here
Anyone with an interest in the macabre, bewildering and insane outfit that is the Wests Tigers is always welcome.

@ColdWetPanther, @Kilkenny and other assorted smug are also quite generous of spirit and always welcome.

When we hit our dynasty of 10 consecutive premierships, they too will not be forgotten by my great great great grandchildren!

I’ve fully adopted the @macnaz perspective that no one is harder on us than us. Nowhere close. These Muppetty flogs from other clubs putting us down -are not even worth pissing on.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Yeah, nah you've got us beat mate.. Letting go of Hastings in order to keep Brooks. hahahahahahaha

I have nothing against Hastings, hope he goes well. Seems a good dude. However when you pull back the nice guy media persona and look at what he brings on the field you have a 7 who’s best asset seems to be ‘controlling the game’ and ‘wanting to win.’ Basically he’s a calmer version of Josh Reynolds.

The bloke would get flogged by Aiden Tolman in a foot race, doesn’t set anything up for his outside backs and has no long kicking game. Good short kicking game and directs the forwards around nicely.

I will say that if Ponga becomes a success at 6 then JH could be a very good foil for him, so that’s a wait and see.

At the end of the day both your club and ours preferred Luke Brooks at 7, you only went for Jackson as a Plan B. And no I don’t think Brooks is the answer to anything.