What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Das Hassler

Bench
The first thing to see straight is that with FOX the coverage of sport and politics (and theyd really love religion if they could get themselves involved there) is not and has never been about sport or politics at all...it's only ever been about selling to the public the energy ( aka anger) that comes from the heat which is produced by the friction they create in whatever they pretend to be " covering" ...it's the Murdoch model.
The 360 talking heads probably aren't even smart enough to know what they even actually are but their senior management sure does and the strings are pulled from there. Fox sport want the struggling clubs to heed their "expert advice " and do well about as much as Cash Converters want the poor to prosper.
Richo knows who and what he's really fighting back against here

Nutz

Bench
The first thing to see straight is that with FOX the coverage of sport and politics (and theyd really love religion if they could get themselves involved there) is not and has never been about sport or politics at all...it's only ever been about selling to the public the energy ( aka anger) that comes from the heat which is produced by the friction they create in whatever they pretend to be " covering" ...it's the Murdoch model.
The 360 talking heads probably aren't even smart enough to know what they even actually are but their senior management sure does and the strings are pulled from there. Fox sport want the struggling clubs to heed their "expert advice " and do well about as much as Cash Converters want the poor to prosper.
Richo knows who and what he's really fighting back against here
exackery.
It frustrates me when they, nrl360, start yelling and carrying on about trivial crap.
The only person I like to listen too is Gordy because he's been there and done that...often he's over talked by nufties who have never played the game. They disrespect him often.

news.com.au, daily mail, smh, etc etc, they are all the same.

It’s called distorted media reality.

Negative incidents get clicks, which is how most media outlets pay the bills these days, from high volume clicks. It doesn’t reflect the reality however, in that news can be both good & bad news, reporting out of Canberra is directed by the ownership of the news companies and their leanings, sport, well good stories, positive reports on clubs are boring so lets just make it up. Meanwhile the paper involved has secured thousands/millions clicks, got its ad revenue locked in, and they then move onto the next story.

They, the so called journalists do not care who they offend, be it a player, coach, manager. But wooh if the tables are turned, al la Richo. Where it gets tricky is with a Fox show like 360, because you don't want the stablemate (Matty Johns Show) also being against you.

Nutz

Bench
news.com.au, daily mail, smh, etc etc, they are all the same.

It’s called distorted media reality.

Negative incidents get clicks, which is how most media outlets pay the bills these days, from high volume clicks. It doesn’t reflect the reality however, in that news can be both good & bad news, reporting out of Canberra is directed by the ownership of the news companies and their leanings, sport, well good stories, positive reports on clubs are boring so lets just make it up. Meanwhile the paper involved has secured thousands/millions clicks, got its ad revenue locked in, and they then move onto the next story.

They, the so called journalists do not care who they offend, be it a player, coach, manager. But wooh if the tables are turned, al la Richo. Where it gets tricky is with a Fox show like 360, because you don't want the stablemate (Matty Johns Show) also being against you.
But what about lost revenue from people turning off their crap.
Clickbait can backfire which you suggested. People tune in and then tune out. Their ratings go up for a millisecond of viewing with no benefit to the sponsor/advertising companies who spend a fortune especially during prime time viewing.
I record NRL Tonight and NRL 360 so after dinner I can fast fwd the crap and adds.
Also when I watch games I mute the commentators I don't like and listen to the radio... I simply pause TV until the delay catches up... Easy!
They don't get advertising revenue from me, nor do I get a headache.
At least they got rid of one yelling merkin, Kent, now get rid of Crawls too.
Surely Fox can read their own forums and feedback reviews to reveal who the public/viewers like or dislike.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
You would think the NRL would provide accurate information, but they won't upset their paymasters:(

The footy management is going further left every season, they are killing the goose that lays the golden egg, imo.

It's quite noticeable, that certain clubs get preference over others, especially with TV games, rule breaches and salary cap issues.

Nutz

Bench
I guess we have to take the good with the bad.
It wasn't that long ago when there was a media drought on league. We armed ourselves with all the newspapers and tuned into our little transistor radios to listen to game day broadcast.
When the internet came first came along it cost about 30 bucks to get enough credit to make a few phone calls, check your emails and do some brief browser searches.... That was it, credit gone and saw 3/5 of......
Now for a 100bucks you can get unlimited internet, podcasts, forums, streaming all the live games in UHD, movies, YouTube and the list goes on and on. From a drought to a flood.
We still complain though ha ha.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

How Andrew Johns convinced Lachlan Galvin to commit to Tigers​

Adrian Proszenko

ByAdrian Proszenko

June 16, 2024 — 5.00am

Lachlan Galvin has revealed that comments by Andrew Johns helped convince him to recommit to Wests Tigers and work to turn the club around.
A week after requesting a release, Galvin ended speculation about his future by assuring club powerbrokers that he will see out his contract, which expires at the end of 2026.

The turnaround occurred after Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson and head of football Matthew Betsey visited Galvin’s parents at their Gregory Hills home on Wednesday. After speaking to his father, James, Lachlan assured the Tigers hierarchy that he wanted to lead the club’s resurgence.
Speaking about his future for the first time, the teenager revealed Johns helped make up his mind.

“I’m fully committed to Wests Tigers,” Galvin told this masthead.
“I want to change the club around, I’m fully committed to the next two years of my contract. Just thinking about it, it’s cool to think ... I can be that kid to change this club around.
“You hear the likes of Andrew Johns talking, saying there is a legacy for you and how cool would it be if you change the club around.
“I thought of that and that’s incredible to me, to think I could be one of the few to change this club around.”
Galvin vehemently denied reports he told teammates he couldn’t wait to leave the club after a heavy loss to the Dragons.

“Absolute lie,” he said. “I would never do that to any of my teammates or Benji [Marshall, coach] or any of the coaching staff. I would never disrespect them like that.
“I would never walk around the sheds yelling out I want to quit. It’s all BS.”

Tigers youngster Lachlan Galvin with Benji Marshall.

Galvin was a perennial winner during his junior career. The 18-year-old won 11 grand finals despite being let go by the club he barracked for, Parramatta. His NRL career also got off to a winning start, playing an impressive role in the Tigers’ opening two victories this year.
He admitted the subsequent losing streak had been difficult, but believes it will put him in good stead.

“That’s what me and my dad talked about, how much I’m learning from losing,” he said.
“It is hard. If I walked into a Penrith [side], I’d be winning a lot more and think I am on top of the world. But would I be getting the lessons I am now? Probably not.
‘If I walked into a Penrith, I’d be winning a lot more and think I am on top of the world. But would I be getting the lessons I am now?’
Lachlan Galvin
“Being at this club has taught me so much and made me work even harder towards my game … I’ve loved every minute of it. When you’re playing NRL at 18 years of age, you can’t really complain too much.
“It’s been a rollercoaster. We started the year really well, getting those two wins against Parra and the Sharks.

“Losing nine games straight, it does hurt a bit, it does take it out of you. Us younger boys have come through the junior grades losing maybe three games in the last three or four years.
Lachlan Galvin during his junior days.

Lachlan Galvin during his junior days.

“That’s been hard. It’s probably a good learning curve for the younger boys to know it’s not going to get given to you, you have to work hard and be patient.”
Galvin won’t need to do it all himself. Marquee signing Jarome Luai joins next year, as well as Panthers teammate Sunia Turuva.

“I spoke to him when we versed him in Bathurst,” Galvin said of Luai. “He said, ‘Keep going, you’re killing it, you’ll see me next year’.

“I can’t wait to learn off him when he comes next year. It should help me develop and become a better player.”
The Tigers have given nine players their debuts this season, the most of any NRL club. Galvin has played alongside many of the promising juniors now tasked with bringing a winning culture to first grade.
“There’s five from our Harold Matts team, with [Heath] Mason and Jordan [Miller] making their debuts [against the Titans on Saturday],” he said. “It’s pretty mad and surreal that five of us from that team are playing NRL now.
“We want to come up all together and change this club around.”
Galvin, who is expected to overcome a hand injury to be available for next weekend’s clash against Canberra, has shied away from social media.

“It gets to you a bit, you hear it a bit,” he said. “I just try to stay off the socials and not read it as much. I just try to get to training, work hard and try to keep having fun.
“I play this game because I love it and enjoy it. I don’t want to lose the love for the game, just keep enjoying it.”

Hoofhearted

Juniors

Below is some context into Galvins comments Re: Andrew Johns

EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns and Phil Gould deliver stern message to wantaway Wests Tigers star​

Liam O'Loughlin

Liam O'Loughlin
June 13, 2024 - 5.04am

Joey's warning to wantaway Tigers star

Lachlan Galvin is at the centre of the rugby league world right now - and two of the game's biggest voices have delivered a stern message to the Wests Tigers rookie.
After a horror run at Concord that has seen the side lose nine-straight games, the teenage playmaker has again requested a release from the remainder of his contract.
Galvin is signed to the Tigers for 2025 and 2026 on a modest deal, but has reportedly pushed for an early exit on multiple occasions over the past six months.

Shane Richardson has vehemently denied the 18-year-old will be granted his request and urged rival clubs to back off the young gun, but that hasn't stopped the noise.
Speaking on Wide World Of Sports' Six Tackles With Gus, league expert Phil Gould shut down the idea of the Tigers splashing the cash to retain Galvin long-term and admitted the five-eighth is lucky to be playing in the top grade this early in his footy journey.

Wests Tigers gun Lachlan Galvin.

"I don't think they need to spend big," he said.
"Lachlan Galvin is 18 years of age - Lachlan Galvin should not be playing NRL at the moment, particularly not in that team. That's far too big of an ask for a boy of that age.
"He's very young, obviously extremely talented, he's going to be a very good player, but I don't see what the rush is. He has to be pushed into these positions, particularly with the team so under-strength at the moment.
"I understand he has requested a release on several occasions and I don't know what the future might hold. I do know that the bloke in charge, Shane Richardson, won't be letting him go - he's got a solid contract there and he'll be holding onto him.
"I don't think an 18-year-old kid should be going through this, I don't understand why there's all this kerfuffle about it. He's in the very early stages of his career, he is still developing ... he should just be sitting tight."
A talented utility through his junior years, Galvin played in the Australian Schoolboys team last year and despite plenty of competition in the halves, head coach Benji Marshall opted to parachute him straight into first grade in 2024.
Galvin has registered six try assists in 10 appearances this year and averages an eye-catching 114 run metres per game, proving himself to be a huge threat with the ball.

Long-term, the opportunity is there for Galvin to partner incoming superstar Jarome Luai, who has won three premierships with the Panthers and played Origin football, in a bid to turn things around for the joint-venture.

Jarome Luai spins the ball during warmup.

And that's why Andrew Johns believes the exciting young prospect should stay put.
"Jarome is coming next year, [Sunia] Turuva is coming next year," he said on Wide World Of Sports' Freddy and The Eighth.
"Can you imagine your legacy if you dig this club, along with some key players, out of where they have been for the last 10 or 15 years? If you're one of the players contributing to getting the Tigers back to where they should be, there's your legacy.
"You can help make change in the place - turn up, train hard and embarrass the older players by the way you train and the way you play."
Johns' sentiments were echoed by Brad Fittler, who pointed out that Galvin will still have over a decade of footy ahead of him by the time his contract expires.
"There's so much noise these days … I'm sure there's people telling him he should go to other clubs or that he's worth more," Fittler said.
"At the end of the day, you have two years to go - do your best, work hard and you're going to be 20 at the end of those two years. You're gonna be a lot better off sticking by your word and seeing them out and seeing what happens."
Galvin's future isn't the only issue facing the Tigers at the mid-way point of the season, with question marks over Marshall's coaching style and the contract saga surrounding front-rower Stefano Utoikamanu also dominating headlines.
Gould believes both Utoikamanu and Galvin can turn the club around, but the Tigers may still be destined to "go backwards" before the "blue skies" arrive.

cc6e435d3db421c87c82cf1d39bd540a72769dac

"In both cases, they were happy to sign the contract - you can't just suddenly walk out on your club because they are performing poorly," he said.
"That's not a reason to move clubs and Stefano could be a big help in trying to help resurrect that club and get them out of the cellar. It will feel like they are going backwards for a while, I've been through this before myself.
"As long as there's a plan down the track, you will hope there's blue skies ahead.
"They need to quieten down all that noise and the only way they are going to get out of it is by sticking together - it's not a good time for the club."
Marshall's men have a crucial clash in round 15 against fellow cellar-dwellars Gold Coast Titans, with a win potentially moving them off the bottom of the NRL ladder.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think it's clear, that our mix of good experience and good young players, will be the path to success.
Even now, there is no reasonable explanation of why or how we managed to lose 9 games straight. I didn't think we played that badly.
There is a lot of noise about grounds, facilities, coaches and the board, being detrimental to the playing group, but gee, if players are concerned about all this outside noise, then they’re too shallow and just using it as an excuse. It's the players that play and make the mistakes, no one else.
But we seem to have the most success at the ground, they say has the worst facilities in the competition?

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

Interesting stats, don't know if they are correct, but we are nowhere near the worst team in the comp, except for the scoreboard.
I think it shows that the players are just not willing enough to do the little things required to be a competitive team and that's on them, imo.

Nutz

Bench
800k I think.
Regardless what is was, I agree DOM, he can't be asking anything over 350k until he proves he's over injuries.
It's scar tissue that keeps tearing. After you clean it up the scar tissue returns.
A new treatment for this is kemo I believe...but not how we treat cancer. I'm looking into it.
I think if AD does come back and nails it in KOE I think our club will offer him a year plus another year with a club option.
I'm being a realist here and not saying I like it.
We'll see if this eventuates.
I felt back then that in a way he deserves to be given another chance being a local junior and when he's hot he's up with some of the best backs.
Hypothetically speaking, what's our backline going to look like if AD does nail it and takes up another contract with us next year?
He had a very good game in the halves last week in reserves.
He's a bit cocky, he was quoted on Triple M saying... “The more I get close to the boys in these next few weeks and the more I can take charge of the team, I can sort of be that dominant figure and help pull some of these younger blokes in line and show them what the standards are at this club,” he said.

“If they’re not living up to the standards that I feel and the other leaders feel are the benchmark, then they can go and sit back in reserve grade as far as I’m concerned.”

Interesting comments for a bloke who hasn't played for ages, what do you think?

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
We'll see if this eventuates.
I felt back then that in a way he deserves to be given another chance being a local junior and when he's hot he's up with some of the best backs.
Hypothetically speaking, what's our backline going to look like IFAD does nail it and takes up another contract with us next year?
He had a very good game in the halves last week in reserves.
He's a bit cocky, he was quoted on Triple M saying... “The more I get close to the boys in these next few weeks and the more I can take charge of the team, I can sort of be that dominant figure and help pull some of these younger blokes in line and show them what the standards are at this club,” he said.

“If they’re not living up to the standards that I feel and the other leaders feel are the benchmark, then they can go and sit back in reserve grade as far as I’m concerned.”

He’s certainly cocksure.He needs to shut his mouth & let his efforts on the field do the talking for him.If he was elite only then would he b justified to b cocky & to make comments like he’s a proven leader.Hopefully he aims up & deservingly locks down a spot in the 17.

Tiger05

First Grade

I think the guy is a moron.

1. Jahream Bula
2. Charlie Staines
3. Starford To’a
4. Justin Olam
5. Sunia Turuva

6. Lachlan Galvin
7. Jarome Luai

Backups:- Solomon Alaimalo, Josh Feledy & Solomona Faataape. I'm not even considering Nadan. We also have Sullivan and Latu Fainu as back-up halves which in my opinion is loony tunes stuff.

I don't know where Douiehi would fit in.

I do think ideally we need a big gun outside back ala Latrell or Suli or Best but I don't think Doueihi is consistent enough to fill that role. I reckon he is worth 150k as a chance. His defense is terrible and while his attack when he is on is freaken awesome it happens once every 10 games.

Nutz

Bench
He’s certainly cocksure.He needs to shut his mouth & let his efforts on the field do the talking for him.If he was elite only then would he b justified to b cocky & to make comments like he’s a proven leader.Hopefully he aims up & deservingly locks down a spot in the 17.
That's how I feel too. Respect is earned not inherited.
If I was AD I would be running lines and leave the ball playing to Salad and Gal.
More good news reported in DT that the elite imbecile Naden is going to honour contract for ‘25
And AD has just resigned for 2025.

Nutz

Bench
Next year we'll have 4 backs on the bench and no fwds.
All the fwds have to play for 80min and if they are injured or sent off they are put in the stocks and pelted with turds.

Pezz70

Juniors
AD could still be a good right centre for us...still only 25 I think. There should be a clause inserted in his contract extension requiring him to STFU
I’ve always thought of Douehi as a 5/8, but he’s a decent sized body, and has done a reasonable job in the centres in the past. Looking at him on tele on the weekend he looks good, body shape and definition is there, just be a matter of getting his puff back, 3 or 4 games injury free

I’ve always thought of Douehi as a 5/8, but he’s a decent sized body, and has done a reasonable job in the centres in the past. Looking at him on tele on the weekend he looks good, body shape and definition is there, just be a matter of getting his puff back, 3 or 4 games injury free
He’s got a few strings to his bow.

He can step, pass and kick in play.

I think he’d be a good centre as another attacking option. Bench and rotate even.

Tiger05

First Grade
AD re-signs. If it's one cent more than 150k it's a bad contract. He could though work out in the centres if the stars align with the aquarius sun or some other rare event.